Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CSP Air Filters kit for IDF
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: CSP Air Filters kit for IDF Reply with quote

Has anyone bought a set of these filters? Looking for feedback.

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/brand-shops/csp-produc...1541880169

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: CSP Air Filters kit for IDF Reply with quote

What do you want to know?

Itīs a K&N filter with an improved housing that suits vertical carbs better.
T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: CSP Air Filters kit for IDF Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
What do you want to know?

Itīs a K&N filter with an improved housing that suits vertical carbs better.
T

Is the kit worth the money? Will the 100mm filter fit in a Beetle?

Photos of the kit installed in Beetle?

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: CSP Air Filters kit for IDF Reply with quote

Worth the money(?) Thatīs a relative question. On the other hand, if you want a sturdy base plate and top cover that actually seals around the filter instead of much of the other flimsy stuff on the market, and with a real K&N insert it is one way to go.

Fit in a beetle? That depends entirely on the manifolds used. And the fan shroud too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: CSP Air Filters kit for IDF Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Worth the money(?) Thatīs a relative question. On the other hand, if you want a sturdy base plate and top cover that actually seals around the filter instead of much of the other flimsy stuff on the market, and with a real K&N insert it is one way to go.

Fit in a beetle? That depends entirely on the manifolds used. And the fan shroud too.

Gene Berg 580 IDF A manifolds & 73 Thing fan shroud.

02/76 Beetle sedan
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: CSP Air Filters kit for IDF Reply with quote

Thanks for asking about these. I didnt know these exist. $200 for that many upgrades over traditional filter setups is well worth it.

I really like the clean transition from velocity stack to base. There is no step like many others do. (Many have thick bases that interfere with smooth transition)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Finally something that has a real filter seat

The mounting is a much nicer setup then the traditional all-thread

Nice
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: CSP Air Filters kit for IDF Reply with quote

oooh, pretty.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP Air Filters kit for IDF Reply with quote

I wonder how long these have been available? I don't understand why the vendors that sell CSP parts here in U.S don't sell them? Confused

02/76 Beetle sedan
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP Air Filters kit for IDF Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
I wonder how long these have been available? I don't understand why the vendors that sell CSP parts here in U.S don't sell them? Confused

This is why...
jpaull wrote:
$200

VW people are CHEAP.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP Air Filters kit for IDF Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:

This is why...
jpaull wrote:
$200

VW people are CHEAP.

The cheap vw people are buying these CSP exhaust systems. Confused

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C31-251-001-038S

02/76 Beetle sedan
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP Air Filters kit for IDF Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
Glenn wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:

This is why...
jpaull wrote:
$200

VW people are CHEAP.

I bet for every CSP exhaust EMPI sells 100.

I've gone to VW shows with over 1000 cars and I'm the only one with a Berg exhaust.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP Air Filters kit for IDF Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:
Glenn wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:

This is why...
jpaull wrote:
$200

VW people are CHEAP.

I bet for every CSP exhaust EMPI sells 100.

I've gone to VW shows with over 1000 cars and I'm the only one with a Berg exhaust.

It doesn't help when you call GBE for parts, its either NLA or back order for 6 months or so.

02/76 Beetle sedan
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP Air Filters kit for IDF Reply with quote

I would gladly pay $200 for them if they actually filtered the air. K&N in this part of the world has a bad name for not filtering the air very well. I know several diesel pickup owners that have been wooed by the "free up HP" hype around K&N filter conversions and have had to replace dusted engines a year or so later!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP Air Filters kit for IDF Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I would gladly pay $200 for them if they actually filtered the air. K&N in this part of the world has a bad name for not filtering the air very well. I know several diesel pickup owners that have been wooed by the "free up HP" hype around K&N filter conversions and have had to replace dusted engines a year or so later!

Soooo! What filter element are you using to combat the "dusted" engine issue?

I run the CB gauze type filter elements. Because that's all I can find to fit my application.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP Air Filters kit for IDF Reply with quote

I wasn't aware that there was an IDF version which has the idle jet stack coming out the top of the carb (right image below) similar to Dell'Orto DRLA's. Those which I have- genuine Webers, not clones- have the idle jets coming out the outboard sides...
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP Air Filters kit for IDF Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
I wasn't aware that there was an IDF version which has the idle jet stack coming out the top of the carb (right image below) similar to Dell'Orto DRLA's. Those which I have- genuine Webers, not clones- have the idle jets coming out the outboard sides...

Take note of the filter housing model version that is in the part description (68/69).
We mostly see the 70 version here in the USA.
A Google search revealed that the 68/69 may, in fact have the idle jets through the top cover of the carb.
I want that!
This is the reason why, I switched to Dellorto carbs. The idle jets are accessible through the top cover.
I hate having to remove the carbs and intakes. Just to change the idle jets.
And yeah. I know that I can drill access holes through my fender wells.
Not going to do that!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP Air Filters kit for IDF Reply with quote

Guys, really!!! I must admit we are one weird crew. My last post was how to keep water out of my deck lid from getting it into my carbs. One of the guys said, yea this this is a serious issue. The best suggestion of the group was plastic salad bowels from the Dollar Store.

Those CSP parts are beautiful functional pieces to a point -- but they use K&N filters, the one buck Plastic Salad Bowels do a better job on keeping water out.

As for dirt and dust, same crap.

I love the look of the billet tops and bottoms on my Dells.

What is a better filter suggestion vs the K&N in the same holders.

Oh by the way the extended jets sure look similar to Jet Doctors, which I have learned to hate, due to their poor workmanship, and lead ball insertion into several small ports. , Which is just something else to worry about, when having a carb issue. LIke hay maybe a ball fell out.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP Air Filters kit for IDF Reply with quote

40 IDF 68/69 series Cool

02/76 Beetle sedan
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP Air Filters kit for IDF Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
Guys, really!!! I must admit we are one weird crew. My last post was how to keep water out of my deck lid from getting it into my carbs. One of the guys said, yea this this is a serious issue. The best suggestion of the group was plastic salad bowels from the Dollar Store.

Those CSP parts are beautiful functional pieces to a point -- but they use K&N filters, the one buck Plastic Salad Bowels do a better job on keeping water out.

As for dirt and dust, same crap.

I love the look of the billet tops and bottoms on my Dells.

What is a better filter suggestion vs the K&N in the same holders.

Oh by the way the extended jets sure look similar to Jet Doctors, which I have learned to hate, due to their poor workmanship, and lead ball insertion into several small ports. , Which is just something else to worry about, when having a carb issue. LIke hay maybe a ball fell out.

The best suggestion is to get one of these. http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-3145 Not plastic salad bowels. Rolling Eyes I'm very surprise you didn't installed one years ago.

02/76 Beetle sedan
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP Air Filters kit for IDF Reply with quote

I am tempted to make some runs of airfitler housings that will drain the water and excess oil to the outside rather than into the carburetor, not to make a buck, but because nobody else will do it and has been complaining for 10 years about it.

R2C filters are good enough to block pretty much any dust, but they still pass water.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: