Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Stainless Flexible Brake Lines too Short
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Rear Stainless Flexible Brake Lines too Short Reply with quote

Installing stainless steel flexible brake lines on a 1974 KG Coupe. Can’t remember from where I ordered them unfortunately. But they are too short. Passenger side could be installed but would be stressed a bit. Driver’s side won’t reach. Might be hard to tell from the pictures.

Now the car is on jack stands so the suspension is probably lower than when supported by the wheels but I should be able to jack the car without stressing the flexible lines.

Am I doing anything wrong here? Anyone else have this problem? I could buy a set of front flexible lines and install on the rear. They are definitely long enough.

Interestingly I have found conflicting info at a couple websites. Some say the rear soft lines are 235mm (~9.25 inches) and at least one says 250mm (~9.8 inches). Mine are about 9.5 inches so right in the middle.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Stainless Flexible Brake Lines too Short Reply with quote

The bracket on your top photo appears bent. It should be perpendicular to the surface it is mounted on. Compare with the lower pic.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Stainless Flexible Brake Lines too Short Reply with quote

If they’re too short, do not use them! Stainless brake hoses do not stretch & will pull apart if the suspension ever reaches its lower limits.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Stainless Flexible Brake Lines too Short Reply with quote

The onbe in the bottom picture will be fine. Bend thr vracket in the top one so it's at 90* to the swing arm and it will be fine also.

brad
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Stainless Flexible Brake Lines too Short Reply with quote

Sofia74 wrote:

As a side note: I don't think you have the 'washers' on the IRS pivot bolt correct. Both of the washers go on the outside.

VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Stainless Flexible Brake Lines too Short Reply with quote

Thanks guys. They are slightly bent. The hose fits now. Still a tighter fit than I would prefer but it fits.

Runamoc - That's not what I wanted to hear. That's a lot of work to redo...but glad you pointed it out. Will go look into it.

Thanks,
Matt
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Stainless Flexible Brake Lines too Short Reply with quote

Runamoc - My Bentley manual wasn't specific. It just said note the number and placement of spacers... I found my disassembly pictures. Sure enough you are right. two washers on the outside. Good eye.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: