Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CB Performance Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Two Questions
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: CB Performance Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Two Questions Reply with quote

I have installed the rear brake conversion from CB Performance on a 1974 KG Coupe.

First question is did I install the calipers reversed? Which would make them upside down. I did some looking online and have seen them installed both ways. Looks like they fit both ways but the emergency brake cable is on top one way and on the bottom the other way. Does it matter? The way I have it has the bleeder valve up high so this looks right to me.

Second question is about the hard brake line. The kit came with 30 inch hard brake lines. It looks like the line has to go all the from the connection with the flexible line, under the CV joints or shock and do a 180 degree turn to attach to the point where there is currently a yellow plug in the picture. That seems very awkward to me. Is that right?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Two Questions Reply with quote

I run the brake lines over the top to the caliper. But, i put another hardline clamp on the swing arm and run a flexible line from that to the caliper. I dont like hardlines moving around and fatiquing.
The bleeded sxrew is what dictates how the caliper is mounted ot the ebrake cable. You have it mounted correctly.

brad
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Two Questions Reply with quote

Brad,
Thanks. Do you have a picture of what you are describing? I understand the principle but having trouble picturing. Hard line clamp on the swing arm?
Matt
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Two Questions Reply with quote

runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Two Questions Reply with quote

Like slalombuggy posted. Short flex lines from the hard lines to the calipers. Only I Drilled and tapped a hole for a cable clamp to hold the 'transition' from flex to solid. I also used another cable clamp to hold the emergency brake cable.

VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Two Questions Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:

Looks good. Will the emergency brake cables interfere with the hard brake line and support bracket?
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Two Questions Reply with quote

No
Balmoral1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Two Questions Reply with quote

How well does this kit work?

I realize that most of the braking is done on the front.
!984 911 Targa
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Two Questions Reply with quote

Balmoral1958 wrote:
How well does this kit work?

I realize that most of the braking is done on the front.

I havent used this particular kit, although tthey look to be the same parts, but having 4 wheel disks is night and day difference for me. I only used rear brakes on my last 2 race xars and they hauled the cars down from speed quite easily.

brad
Balmoral1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Two Questions Reply with quote

Thanks - assume this will need a bigger MC and a proportioning valve?
!984 911 Targa
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Two Questions Reply with quote

Balmoral1958 wrote:
Thanks - assume this will need a bigger MC and a proportioning valve?

Yes on the masater, and yes on the valve if you want a pedal that's right at the top. I didn't put one in my cars and the pedal is a bit low, but firm and works perfectly fine. My Ghia will be getting one though.

brad
Balmoral1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Two Questions Reply with quote

Great - the E -Brake on this kit does not look very robust..
!984 911 Targa
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Two Questions Reply with quote

Hey Brad,
Saw your reply. I went 20.6 on the MC and a proportioning valve just forward of the rear split. How does that sound?
Matt
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Two Questions Reply with quote

Balmoral1958 wrote:
Great - the E -Brake on this kit does not look very robust..

Thats what you get on new cars. This isnt some specially made part from CB, it's from a production line vehicle. They all look just as strong.

brad
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Two Questions Reply with quote

Sofia74 wrote:
Hey Brad,
Saw your reply. I went 20.6 on the MC and a proportioning valve just forward of the rear split. How does that sound?
Matt

Perfect
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Two Questions Reply with quote

For those who have 4 wheel disk... When you slam on the brakes, does the car stop straight?? Reason I ask is that I was talked out of 4 wheel disk due to the system being primitive... Non-ABS. Cant remember who it was, but he stated the wheels can lock up, and you could end up in a ditch. That was enough for me to keep the drums on the rear. But now that I think of it... The drums can lock up too.
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Two Questions Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
For those who have 4 wheel disk... When you slam on the brakes, does the car stop straight??
Yes, but I only brake for deer and old ladies in the road, otherwise I use the horn and steer around.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Two Questions Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
For those who have 4 wheel disk... When you slam on the brakes, does the car stop straight?? Reason I ask is that I was talked out of 4 wheel disk due to the system being primitive... Non-ABS. Cant remember who it was, but he stated the wheels can lock up, and you could end up in a ditch. That was enough for me to keep the drums on the rear. But now that I think of it... The drums can lock up too.

I stop WAY straighter than I ever could with drum brakes. I have never done a 180 with disk brakes, which I had done repeatedly with drums when I was autocrossing on slicks coming into the stop box. I also find them more predictable as to where the point of lock up is and can modulate braking much easier.

This summer while testing my salt flats car I was coming to a curve on the highway far to fast. I had to really stand on the brakes (rear only) to the point of locking them up intermittently and the car never pulled, slowed down straight as an arrow, even when the brakes got hot enough to turn the rotors blue.

brad
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Two Questions Reply with quote

Thanks guys... Money permitting, I will be doing the conversion.
Balmoral1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Two Questions Reply with quote

Ant preference on brand for these kits?
!984 911 Targa
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: