Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

black puff from one side of exhaust..
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
R1NG0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: black puff from one side of exhaust.. Reply with quote

Did a lot of electrical on the beetle today, in a garage cause cold, and started it about 2 feet from the garage door, and noticed a pretty big black sooty spot on the garage door Shocked Shocked Only one little burst, and only from driver side. No it doesn’t run rough, it doesn’t seem to run rich when it’s running, I pump the gas pedal 3 times before cranking, and it fires right up, runs fine and idles fine, and it kind of confused me. 74 super beetle
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: black puff from one side of exhaust.. Reply with quote

If it is a one off I wouldn’t worry about it. It had a cough and bought up some sputum. Laughing

If it continues then you can start looking at bad plugs, sticky valves or bad wires to one or more plugs on the offending side.
R1NG0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: black puff from one side of exhaust.. Reply with quote

Yea cause once it’s going it’s perfectly fine lol
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: black puff from one side of exhaust.. Reply with quote

I definitely wouldn't worry about that. The last vw show i went to, there were about 20 vintage vws starting up as the show ended, and the owners were starting their bugs to leave. About 15 of them smoked when they started the engines. This made me feel much better about my admitedly not show quality bug. We have old, unsophisticated, carbureted, rich running engines designed im the 1930s. We have pretty much no pollution control. I'd be lying if i said mine never put out of a puff of smoke on start up.
SpoolBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: black puff from one side of exhaust.. Reply with quote

I'd be more concerned about that nut it spit out on the floor Laughing
R1NG0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: black puff from one side of exhaust.. Reply with quote

SpoolBug wrote:
I'd be more concerned about that nut it spit out on the floor Laughing

Lmfaoooooo that’s the old alternator nut.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: