Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Troubles removing engine, no clearance for tools?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Troubles removing engine, no clearance for tools? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Snap on or MACK pricey but works of art

S/K are professional level and much cheaper than Snap-On.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Only if you buy them at full retail. Unknown to most but Snappy and Mac offer discounts up to 55% off to students and then there are the other outlets. I’ve purchased much of my tooling used for pennies on the dollar, reference “What did you see” in off topic.

Who in their right mind pays full retail for anything ? Wife and I shop around for everything and use coupons, any advantage available I’ll use it. Yesterday many retailers here honored veterans so I got a free haircut, Starbucks, dinner at Olive Garden. If someone was handing out 20 dollar bills would you accept one? Very Happy

Looks like mine is bigger Very Happy hmmmmmm

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Troubles removing engine, no clearance for tools? Reply with quote

I bought most of my tools online and they were drop shipped from a warehouse. One place that I purchased a lot from I spoke to the salesman and he told me it's a house in the suburbs of Vegas and there are 4 that work out of it. They have no inventory and everything is shipped from multiple locations.

Pawn shops are also a good source. All of my air tools came from a pawn shop and are K/D, Mac or Snap On.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buzzerbug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Troubles removing engine, no clearance for tools? Reply with quote

Mine was out easy as pie! Just got underneath, used the 17mm wrench and they broke loose easy. It also helped that I cut my rear apron for a quicker removal (it was rusted and bondo heaven, I have a replacement)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubles removing engine, no clearance for tools? Reply with quote

I have a set of wobble extensions from Harbor Freight - handy !!!

My 1970 has a 1971 engine case/doghouse, and I now use a metric allen head bolt (from Ace Hardware) on that upper left location which takes an 8mm hex bit; someone here suggested that.

10mm x 1.5mm x 70mm
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
lookphoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubles removing engine, no clearance for tools? Reply with quote

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-metric-offset-box-wrench-set-32042.html

Not really brand specific, but these provide a great angle to get those two bottom bolts. I actually put them back in tonight, and was able to tighten down both from the driver's side without getting completely under the vehicle. Just reached in and got plenty of torque without rounding.

17mm ratcheting wrench for the starter D-Bolt nut. 17mm deep socket for the top left bolt.[/quote]

Ding ding ding! For anyone that stumbles across this thread and is having issues or needs motivation, this answer was spot on. Highly recommend this set to anyone removing their engine. Far far easier than using a standard offset wrench.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubles removing engine, no clearance for tools? Reply with quote

lookphoto wrote:
Ding ding ding! For anyone that stumbles across this thread and is having issues or needs motivation, this answer was spot on. Highly recommend this set to anyone removing their engine. Far far easier than using a standard offset wrench.

So we assume that you now have the engine out of the VW ???
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: