Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Running poorly after fuel line replacement, Seafoam? SOLVED
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwrhodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Running poorly after fuel line replacement, Seafoam? SOLVED Reply with quote

Hello everyone. DISCLAIMER: TOTAL NOOB and needs everything thooooooroughly explained.) I have an '85 Vanagon w/ 1.9 engine. She has not been driven regularly for a month now. Here is why: I recently replaced all fuel lines, added a barb fitting to the fuel line where plastic line meets 7mm line behind the firewall), did an oil and oil filter change, put on new breather hose, and did a wonky muffler patch w/ aluminum can... but engine now shakes and sputters out of first gear, especially when giving it gas. If I can get her into second gear and lay on the gas kinda hard, she will fly but once again... very shaky engine at idle and seems to get weaker when idling for a few minutes, major issues when letting off the clutch and giving it gas to first get going... even idling doesnt sound too bad but slowly starts to lose power/misfire. Shes running pretty hot, I took her around the block twice and she was very hot. Bumper wasnt hot to the touch but engine was... maybe this is a norm for vanagons, not sure.

I have been reading our threads for hours and compiling my to-do list for the morning, here is what it consists of:

*clean up and push nylon fitting into S boot (this is what it was called in another thread, not sure if I am even using the correct terms but mine comes out VERY easily and seems like its hardly in. Question Is the nylon lip around the edge supposed to go INSIDE or just push right up against it?)

*Check engine air flow meter (saw a video online, I will look for lots of movement while engine is running)

*Replace o2 sensor (I already have one. I will need to splice in wire... never done anything like this in my life so any tips are appreciated. Seems pretty easy though.)

*Check wires to distributor for corrosion

*Rent fuel pressure test kit from O'reillys

(I would also like to check my throttle position switch but I have never done this and need to watch more videos/read more.)

*Seafoam into air intake and gas tank, or oil? This is where I am the most confused! I purchased both the seafoam that comes with the small tube to be able to spray into the air intake (unless I am wrong about this going into the air intake, I cannot find any helpful videos or forums online) as well as the bottle I can pour. My questions are:

Question How do I know how much of this crap to dump/spray into my engine?
Question Where should I put this stuff? Oil, gas, air intake?
Question Do I need to disconnect and remove my air filter and spray this into that hose that comes from the firewall and connects into the air filter? I have seen ONE video of someone doing this on an '81 westy and it looks like he removed his entire air filter and poured it into that hose I described. I have also watched a video of someone spraying it into their air intake manifold on a newer car... I am very confused and scared! I dont want to harm my beautiful and broken baby angel van! Laughing
Question How much do I dump into my gas or oil tank? Which should I do? dhbfjdsfjkdfjdf so many questions!

I am not really banking on this fixing my shakey engine but this van wasnt well loved like I had originally thought when I first bought it about 4 months ago and I am trying to get her to purr like the pretty kitty that I know her mangled and flea bitten ass can be! Also, another lame question... both coolant reservoirs are very full. Overflow is filled half inch above MAX and main reservoir is filled to the BRIM. Should I remove some of it?

Please feel free to judge my ignorance, I LOVE working on my van and getting to know her very special parts and I will never, under any circumstance, take her to a stranger/"mechanic"/shop to pay for work that I can figure out on my own. This may be suggested by some of you and will be taken with a grain of salt. I am way too determined to figure out this engine shaking and clean my girl up!

Thank you all in advance.
'84 Rabbit Turbo Diesel 2021
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syndrome post fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

Whoa, whoa, whoa...slow down dude...

Before tearing everything apart, check a few more essential basics like plugs, wires, dizzy cap & rotor.
Your symptoms sound like a miss in at least one cylinder & could be very easy to remedy.... Cool

- Dave

PS: Good on you for replacing fuel lines already!

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
vwrhodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syndrome post fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Whoa, whoa, whoa...slow down dude...

Before tearing everything apart, check a few more essential basics like plugs, wires, dizzy cap & rotor.
Your symptoms sound like a miss in at least one cylinder & could be very easy to remedy.... Cool

- Dave

PS: Good on you for replacing fuel lines already!

Its happening, I am tearing this mf apart Laughing BUT how exactly does one 'check' the distributor and rotor? I already checked all plugs I can see from looking over the engine bay. Fuel injector plugs look fine. I watched a video where a guy unplugged each distributor cap one at a time while engine was running... what exactly am I looking for? Just making sure they are plugged in? You suggest I check the brake rotor? Thanks for your suggestions. I know I can be obnoxious but whatever, just trying to fix this big baby so its safe for me and the fam! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syndrome post fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

Not the brake rotor. There is a "rotor" under the distributor cap that distributes the spark. It can become corroded and is routinely replaced during a tune up. Pull the cap and look at the contacts. If they are burned/corroded replace the cap and rotor.

Pulling ignition wires one by one off of the distributor while the engine is idling is a poor mans "power balance" check. When a wire is disconnected, that cylinder is disabled. Ideally, the rpm drop associated with pulling the wire should be the same for all 4 cylinders. If the engine is idling/running poorly and you pull a wire and it makes no difference, then that is the cylinder to investigate. Bad plug, wire, cap and/or rotor can do it.

Was it running well before you parked it? Sounds like all you did was change fuel lines. Any other work done?

Forget the Seafoam.
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syndrome post fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

Igeo wrote:

Forget the Seafoam.

Best advice!!

Slow down and be methodical in your diagnostic work.
If this symptom is new after doing work to the engine, recheck your work.
Are all the cylinders running/firing evenly?if not, which one(s) is/are not?
Why are they missing? Is it fuel or spark related?
As you did work to the fuel system, that’s the likely culprit.
How old are the cap, rotor, plugs, wires?
How old is the fuel in the tank? Our California fuel a shelf life of zero days.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syndrome post fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

Start with a tune up ( spark plugs , distributor cap & ignition rotor & check compression ) , check air filter & replace fuel filter . Then check back here . Good luck .
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syndrome post fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

Essentially same for your '85...just your air filter is a different shape...

Link

- Dave

SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syndrome post fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

whooza I am not able to read your whole posting...but it sounds like you are asking about Seafoam so

FORGET THE SEAFOAM.

It is not going to solve your problem.
vwrhodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syndrome post fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:

Link

- Dave

Dude you rock! Doing all of this right now! Great video.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syndrome post fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

Let's not call every problem "Vanagon Syndrome". That's going to be a detriment to getting people to listen and help. "Vanagon Syndrome" is a specific problem that has a factory fix or a DIY fix.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Running poorly after fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

Bottom line, Van ran good but leaked fuel? Or fuel lines were obviously decayed.

You replaced fuel lines.

Now Van runs poorly.

You probably knocked something off while replacing the fuel lines or hooked something back up horribly incorrectly.

Go back, identify what you messed up and fix it.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:30 am; edited 2 times in total
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
Let's not call every problem "Vanagon Syndrome". That's going to be a detriment to getting people to listen and help. "Vanagon Syndrome" is a specific problem that has a factory fix or a DIY fix.

Agreed. Topic title amended.

FWIW, Vanagon Syndrome explained:
http://www.benplace.com/vanagon_intermittent_syndrome.htm
http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=75
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwrhodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syndrome post fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

Igeo wrote:
Not the brake rotor. There is a "rotor" under the distributor cap that distributes the spark. It can become corroded and is routinely replaced during a tune up. Pull the cap and look at the contacts. If they are burned/corroded replace the cap and rotor.

Pulling ignition wires one by one off of the distributor while the engine is idling is a poor mans "power balance" check. When a wire is disconnected, that cylinder is disabled. Ideally, the rpm drop associated with pulling the wire should be the same for all 4 cylinders. If the engine is idling/running poorly and you pull a wire and it makes no difference, then that is the cylinder to investigate. Bad plug, wire, cap and/or rotor can do it.

Was it running well before you parked it? Sounds like all you did was change fuel lines. Any other work done?

Forget the Seafoam.

thank you for the explanation. It was running well prior to the fuel leak. I smelled the leak a few minutes after take off and a random sidewalk guy ran across the street to tell me to PULL OVER! It was bad... but fixed now!). I mentioned all the work I had done in my original post. I took another members advice and did a basic tune up (WHY DIDNT I DO THIS AS SOON AS I BOUGHT THE CAR? *face palm*) and found a corroded ignition wire going to the distributor cap, one of the pins in the cap on another wire looks corroded (black) too. I went ahead and ordered GoWesty's 'tune up kit' so I will change out all spark plugs/cap/wires/rotor and fire her up again!
vwrhodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
vanagonjr wrote:

Agreed. Topic title amended.

FWIW, Vanagon Syndrome explained:
http://www.benplace.com/vanagon_intermittent_syndrome.htm
http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=75

I saw a video where a guy explained his engine shaking and referred to it as a very 'common vanagon owner issue, vanagon syndrome'. Thought the title would be more descriptive. I can always edit it.
vwrhodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syndrome post fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

vwoldbug wrote:
Start with a tune up ( spark plugs , distributor cap & ignition rotor & check compression ) , check air filter & replace fuel filter . Then check back here . Good luck .

Great advice! I followed GoWestys tune up video and started with the distributor. Found two corroded pins. One in cap and one in one of the wires. I shoulda done this immediately after my purchase! I am learning SO MUCH about my van now. Air filter looks new, and I put in a new fuel filter. Just received GoWestys tune up kit and will be replacing spark plugs/wires/rotor/distributor cap/ and a new air filter just cuz it came in the kit and might as well (I am unsure as to when it was replaced, it 'looks' new but why not). Thanks again!
vwrhodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Running poorly after fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Bottom line, Van ran good but leaked fuel? Or fuel lines were obviously decayed.

You replaced fuel lines.

Now Van runs poorly.

You probably knocked something off while replacing the fuel lines or hooked something back up horribly incorrectly.

Go back, identify what you messed up and fix it.

Dave

I found two corroded parts in distributor cap! My fuel line replacement actually went pretty well. I did it all myself (with the exception of a friend who helped me plug fuel lines under carriage so I didnt lose too much fuel while replacing those small connections near filter.) I had a lot of help from the Samba, thankfully! It was my first ever fuel line replacement and I did it with my toddler by my side. Took me like two weeks but its possible. I def could have messed something up, and probably did, but I wont give up. I LOVE learning about my van.
vwrhodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syndrome post fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

SyncroChrick wrote:
whooza I am not able to read your whole posting...but it sounds like you are asking about Seafoam so

FORGET THE SEAFOAM.

It is not going to solve your problem.

After the many 'forget the seafoam' responses, I decided to hold off on it. You guys really dont think it could improve the engine performance? It had an engine rebuild 12 years ago and only has 10k miles on it since... I could be wrong but it sounds like it was sitting quite a lot and could use that extra... idk... 'cleaning'? I read quite a few posts here before I purchased it. Considering returning it if you guys really think its pointless. Thanks!
vwrhodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syndrome post fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:

Link

- Dave

Hey cant thank you enough for sending me this video! I probably would have ended up finding it sooner or later and really should have looked this up immediately after purchase but didnt, so thanks! My husband isnt too fond of my love for VW's and learning my van, but he can suck it. Without the samba I wouldnt be as jovial but you guys kick a$$ with all your help!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Syndrome post fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

vwrhodie wrote:
My husband isnt too fond of my love for VW's and learning my van, but he can suck it. Without the samba I wouldnt be as jovial but you guys kick a$$ with all your help!

Now that is an attitude we can all get behind! Cool Laughing

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Running poorly after fuel line replacement, Seafoam? Reply with quote

rhodie: Sounds like you're on the right track...way to dig in & start getting your hands dirty! Cool

FWIW, as long as your current air filter looks "clean" you could save the new one for your next tune up:
https://theservicestationblog.com/2013/09/10/basics-air-filter-inspection/

...and pay close attention when it's time to swap your plug wires:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(The circle represents the distributor cap, the rectangle represents the spark plugs in the engine block)

- Dave

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: