Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oldschool candy metalflake paintjob on mini bug
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
samotorsport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Oldschool candy metalflake paintjob on mini bug Reply with quote

Hey gents , I am currently building a half scale bug for my youngest son,
same as the mini split bus for our oldest, I gonna do as much as possible my self including paint job.
My idea was an old school candy metal flake paint job
Mostly gold , with the wheels , spoiler glossy black .
My questions are , due to the fiber body it needs to be flexible (which i can do with the clearcoat ) furthermore I am a little scared about the not 100 % straight body , so which paint does "forgive" more small dents wrinkles in the fiber body ?
I would like to go very fine flakes as I dont wanna have this Autoscooter look but more like glossy gasser style .

I ve seen 0.2 mm gold flakes on eB*y for couple bucks , anybody ever tried something noname like this ? Is it worth it ?

Thought about maybe even go the extra mile, giving it a silver basecoat , mask the typical gasser bug outlines , than go the gold metal flakes for the big part of the job , clearing it with some more glossy uncolored flakes ....

Any good advise is welcome Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 Karmann Ghia 14
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Oldschool candy metalflake paintjob on mini bug Reply with quote

I used the silver metal flake from Paintwithpearl over a silver rattle can base coat on the sidecar. I used a 2 part epoxy clear, and a flake cannon, shoot the clear wet, then flake, clear and more flake until you have full coverage. then clear to bury the flake. it came out really nice and is really bright in the sun.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: