Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1929 Mercedes Gazelle Facelift
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1929 Mercedes Gazelle Facelift Reply with quote

The restyling looks very nice! I like the changes but one detail is missing, IMHO. It still has that kinda cheap looking front bumper. With the grill, front lights, and rear bumper improvements that plain tube bumper now seems out of place.
karguy12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1929 Mercedes Gazelle Facelift Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
The restyling looks very nice! I like the changes but one detail is missing, IMHO. It still has that kinda cheap looking front bumper. With the grill, front lights, and rear bumper improvements that plain tube bumper now seems out of place.

The Mercedes SSK, which this is supposed to be a replica of (not even close) never had bumpers of any kind. They were considered race cars. In 1966, a company called Excalibre made a high quality SSK replica that was not to scale or exacting in its design, but it is still considered a well built car in its own right and bring serious money today.

It was the Excalibre that started with the single bar bumper. I think that the people that designed the Gazelle probably took a lot of their design cues from the Excalibre and not the real SSK.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

karguy12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1929 Mercedes Gazelle Facelift Reply with quote

Not much you can do with the boxy rear. Pulled the spare tire 5 inches closer to the body, shaved the ugly modern reverse light, added 1973 Mercedes front bumper over riders for rear bumpers and got rid of the huge ugly step bumpers that were on there...

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1929 Mercedes Gazelle Facelift Reply with quote

That is better for sure!
jason8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1929 Mercedes Gazelle Facelift Reply with quote

great job! I love the new grill! when I saw it in grey primer, I got excited you were making it into a WW2 Nazi car Laughing
damarble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1929 Mercedes Gazelle Facelift Reply with quote

Amazing transformation, well done.
Cammie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1929 Mercedes Gazelle Facelift Reply with quote

Huge improvement!
Regarding the boxy rear:
If there was some way you could make it look like a separate luggage trunk attached behind a body that ends right behind the seats, that would help greatly. Ideally a deep ridge in the body work would help there, but a heavily textured paint effect or leather vinyl covering to make that part look like a removable old leather trunk would aid the illusion.

Last edited by Cammie on Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Cammie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1929 Mercedes Gazelle Facelift Reply with quote

Something like this?A roll of fabric mimicking a folded up soft roof hanging over the back would further help disguise the boxiness. It just depends how far you want to take it.
Cheers,
Iain
Cammie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1929 Mercedes Gazelle Facelift Reply with quote

I can't believe I said "It just depends how far you want to take it." to a guy who built a car out of a speedboat!!! Very Happy
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1929 Mercedes Gazelle Facelift Reply with quote

Now that is cool!

What did the original car look like from that view?
karguy12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1929 Mercedes Gazelle Facelift Reply with quote

Almost finished. Just have a little buttoning up to do. I'm happy with the way it came out. Smile

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1929 Mercedes Gazelle Facelift Reply with quote

That looks quite alright now all dressed up - or is it starting to grow on me? Shocked
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1929 Mercedes Gazelle Facelift Reply with quote

karguy12 wrote:

The "red" is "retail" red hoping to make it sellable.

Very nice and available.
https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/d/1929-mercedes-ssk-replica/6764035378.html

AMAC
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1929 Mercedes Gazelle Facelift Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
That looks quite alright now all dressed up - or is it starting to grow on me? Shocked

It’s starting to grow on me for sure. Not what I would normally go for but it’s different. I like different. Also not to far away....

AMAC
Cammie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1929 Mercedes Gazelle Facelift Reply with quote

Fantastic transformation. Really well done. Transformed the car from a pastiche to an emulation. Hopefully will inspire others to do similar. Still think my trunk suggestion would disguise that rear though Wink
Bclark2005
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1929 Mercedes Gazelle Facelift Reply with quote

I really like what you did. I've been building one, I found a body for $175, but missing a few parts. I've been debating if I should keep it because of the missing parts and it's ugly. I don't like the silhouette of the car and over all appearance. I keep looking at it and redesigning the thing in my head. When I bought it I thought it was a VW MG. After seeing your work and end result I have changed my mind. Like you I don't like the grille area. I have looked at the Mercedes grilles not sure what would fit, now I know the best fit. Thanks. Also the hood height-shape was not a good designed. Now I know the fix on that. The other things you have done make a big difference in its appearance and given me inspiration to complete the car. Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: