Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wrong light socket for back-up lights?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
njstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Wrong light socket for back-up lights? Reply with quote

My stock ('69) back-up lights were so dim that I couldn't see anything behind me, so I figured I would swap out for some brighter LEDs. A quick check in the manual confirmed I needed 1073's, so I bought a pair of 1156's. Taking off the lens, I see that there are dual filament bulbs in there and only one filament is lit (explains the dim lights) -- the socket is double contact, which doesn't jive with the lights described in the manual. Were there any years with double contact reverse lights? Can I use an 1142 (dual contact monofilament) in there instead of changing bases?
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Wrong light socket for back-up lights? Reply with quote

Welcome to the Samba...

What you described seems odd, so I’m wondering if your 69 is actually an early MY 1970? with the reversing lights in the tail light housing....like this...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

or does have the elliptical shape tail lights it like 60’s Ghia usually have? Then your reversing lights are on the bumpers like so..

I know the reversing lights on the bumpers are only single pole. I’d also expect the same with the integral lights the 70. Possibly yours have been modified. Perhaps they are dim because the two filaments have been connected in series somehow.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Wrong light socket for back-up lights? Reply with quote

Get a pair of 1157 or 2057 bulbs (2057 are brighter 1157's) and connect your one wire in the backup light socket that 'works' to the 'brake' light side of the bulb. Brighter already without a lot of changing and buying new stuff. Cool
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
njstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrong light socket for back-up lights? Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:

or does have the elliptical shape tail lights it like 60’s Ghia usually have? Then your reversing lights are on the bumpers like so

It's definitely a 69 (has a 149 vin number) with the oval all-red tail lights and the separate chrome back-up lights mounted to the bumper, like the black ghia in your second picture.

Here is a pic of the reverse light housing. You can see the dual contact socket in the back.

runamoc - jumpering the two terminals sounds like a solid idea. I'll give that a shot.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrong light socket for back-up lights? Reply with quote

njstein wrote:
sputnick60 wrote:

or does have the elliptical shape tail lights it like 60’s Ghia usually have? Then your reversing lights are on the bumpers like so

It's definitely a 69 (has a 149 vin number) with the oval all-red tail lights and the separate chrome back-up lights mounted to the bumper, like the black ghia in your second picture.

Here is a pic of the reverse light housing. You can see the dual contact socket in the back.

runamoc - jumpering the two terminals sounds like a solid idea. I'll give that a shot.

the method from runamoc is a good workaround.
I can see in your photo how it's been modified with some other socket in there. It you want to go back to original its possible to these find reflectors on their own in the classifieds. I think the bus and 356 ones are slightly different across the back and might not fit in the housing.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: