Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

M051 option on a ghia- Additional Alternator
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: M051 option on a ghia- Additional Alternator Reply with quote

A friend of mine just got the BC for his 68KG. It was delivered to Montreal Canada before eventual import to India. One of the options listed was M051 - "Preparation for second alternator". Doing some research in the archives, I came up with this pic

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What would this have been used for? Radio/military? Possible for peacekeeping force commanders to use as a personal car? Or?

His Ghia still has the double/stepped crank pulley. Not sure what other changes are involved, but perhaps wiring was slightly different to ready it for use with a second alternator.

Anyone have any info on this option?
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: M051 option on a ghia- Additional Alternator Reply with quote

The tandem generator was probably used for additional lighting, possible rally use.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: M051 option on a ghia- Additional Alternator Reply with quote

Was a more common option on military versions of typ181s. Another friend told me about his dad who was commanded a unit of UN Peace Keepers in the Congo. He was given a Taunus and a Beetle as personal cars and they came equipped with military radios.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: M051 option on a ghia- Additional Alternator Reply with quote

Maybe different voltage or an alternator for AC voltage.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: M051 option on a ghia- Additional Alternator Reply with quote

Yes but I'm pretty sure that radio equipment of the day would have dominated most of the interior room of a Ghia.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: M051 option on a ghia- Additional Alternator Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Maybe different voltage or an alternator for AC voltage.

I know the Military VW Things ran with a 24V electrical system.
Perhaps if that Ghia did have some sort of special Military/Civil Defense radio, the 2nd alternator could very well have been a 24V version to power the radio.

I suppose they could have also used a 2nd 12V alternator wired to combine with the primary 12V alternator to produce 24V.
It all depends on how the wiring was set up.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: M051 option on a ghia- Additional Alternator Reply with quote

Dang it! I wish I had a picture.

On my first Ghia, I had the stock generator that charged one battery that ran the car and an alternator mounted on an A/C compressor stand that charged another battery that ran the stereo.

It was driven with an A/C pulley that fit on stock pulley. Smaller, but seemed to do the job.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: