Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starting after flooded engine ( UPDATE !!! )
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Starting after flooded engine ( UPDATE !!! ) Reply with quote

My son tried to start my 64 with a week battery.....pumped the gas pedal way too much Crying or Very sad ;....now its flooded and have had a hell of a time trying to get it to fire.

I always followed the rule...once flooded crank with the gas pedal floored until it fires.

Thoughts ?????

Going to let it sit overnight for now.

Last edited by yel-mel on Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting after flooded engine Reply with quote

You are doing it right, but if really flooded, you might have to pull the plugs and dry them off. That's what I've heard, anyway; I've never had to do anything but hold the throttle open. Makes sure the choke is fully open.
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting after flooded engine Reply with quote

Yep....thanks
Going to leave the throttle valves open overnight.
calebthebaeleb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Starting after flooded engine Reply with quote

Did the engine run before he flooded it?
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting after flooded engine Reply with quote

Update Very Happy Very Happy

I just could not get it to fire. Pulled all 4 plugs and they were black, I guess we fouled them when flooding engine. I put 4 new plugs in and she started right up. After a little smoke for 5-10mins I think we are back in business.

Putting the plugs in around dual webers and leaving the carbs on was not fun at all ! Had to use an assortment of socket extensions & very sore hands.

Had to replace my Bosch 12 mm plugs with Autolites…..I could not find Bosch any place close. I am thinking the Autolites will not live long.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting after flooded engine ( UPDATE !!! ) Reply with quote

I don’t use Bosch plugs anymore. NGK are much less prone to seize. They’re easier to remove when not seized. I don’t know why; I just go with what’s easier.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting after flooded engine ( UPDATE !!! ) Reply with quote

Open throttle and blow compressed air in to carb.
Air coming back out of the carb will evaporate some of the extra gas.
Replace the air filter and start the engine.
This has worked for me while craning the engine, but it may explode.
If it explodes call nine eleven, if you can find the eleven button.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: