Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bike rack that works with rear spare tire carrier/trays
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Bike rack that works with rear spare tire carrier/trays Reply with quote

I currently have a tray style bike rack (Kuat) that I've used for several years across a wide range of vehicles. I realized this weekend that it would not work well with my Vanagon due to interference with the Rocky Mountain Westy tire carrier and cargo tray. I can carry only one bike in the farthest slot from the bumper.

Is anyone aware of a good bike rack, tray or otherwise that would allow me to carry at least 2 bikes?

Thanks in advance,
redrocksteady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike rack that works with rear spare tire carrier/trays Reply with quote

I wonder if a hitch swing arm would not only push your kuat rack out far enough to accommodate, but also give you the ability to swing out your rack for easy hatch access?
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike rack that works with rear spare tire carrier/trays Reply with quote

redrocksteady wrote:
I wonder if a hitch swing arm would not only push your kuat rack out far enough to accommodate, but also give you the ability to swing out your rack for easy hatch access?

^^^ https://rakattach.com

Also, OP, have you considered carrying your bikes in a more vertical position like this GW set up: https://www.gowesty.com/product/bike-racks/23892/yakima-front-loader-upright-bike-rack?v=

I imagine you could fit these to your RMW setup.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike rack that works with rear spare tire carrier/trays Reply with quote

I noodled this one for months, maybe a year. I've got a Kuat rack that I wanted to use. Rack-Attach swing out, Kuat swing-out (made by Rack Attach), various extensions, etc, etc. None allowed easy access to the hatch or didn't block the taillights.

I landed on 1Up bike racks mounted to an RMW swing out with the RMW Switch back attachment. It's a darn good solution for my needs. 1Up bike racks are very well designed and executed (relatively simple and no plastics).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

FWIW, YMMV.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike rack that works with rear spare tire carrier/trays Reply with quote

^^^ Slick! Are those 1Up "Roof Racks" (flush mount) or ???
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bike rack that works with rear spare tire carrier/trays Reply with quote

Yes, those are two 1Up flush mount roof racks. I was concerned about using them in a vertical orientation and used two back-ups to ensure that I wouldn't lose the bikes in front of other vehicles while driving down the road. After a summer I became confident enough in the rack design that I only use one back-up (a cable lock connecting the bike to the RMW swing-out, if the 1UP fails which seems unlikely, the bikes are still locked to the van).

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/roof-rack/

There a few videos that help explain how they work...

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&hl...M3_SQ0LO_M

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bike rack that works with rear spare tire carrier/trays Reply with quote

the Utahn wrote:
I currently have a tray style bike rack (Kuat) that I've used for several years across a wide range of vehicles. I realized this weekend that it would not work well with my Vanagon due to interference with the Rocky Mountain Westy tire carrier and cargo tray. I can carry only one bike in the farthest slot from the bumper.

Is anyone aware of a good bike rack, tray or otherwise that would allow me to carry at least 2 bikes?

Thanks in advance,

I use this Yakima rack that is made for four bikes and they can position outward from the back.

You could try a hitch extender?

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-hitch-extender-69882.html
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bike rack that works with rear spare tire carrier/trays Reply with quote

Just buy a hitch extender. Dozens of companies make them. I have RMW trays and use my old hitch mount Thule bike rack with them just fine. This is an easy problem to overcome.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bike rack that works with rear spare tire carrier/trays Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

FWIW, YMMV.

^^ Siiick! I think you sold me on this RMW setup. For the LONGEST time - I thought most of the swing aways were built into the bumper (I'm thinking GoWesty setup).

I regret buying my GoWesty 2" hitch so much right now.

Edit: Wow. This looks like a winter project for sure.

benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bike rack that works with rear spare tire carrier/trays Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of 1up as well. I have no problem clearing my gowesty spare with my big ass 29er.

I had a similar swing away setup that held up well and allowed for access to the back of the van.

I ended up not staggering the bikes and used a longer yakima bar.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike rack that works with rear spare tire carrier/trays Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Just buy a hitch extender. Dozens of companies make them. I have RMW trays and use my old hitch mount Thule bike rack with them just fine. This is an easy problem to overcome.

kourt

Was going to say this. I saw one on the side of the road one time and picked it up. I don't think I have ever used it, except to bolt my toilet seat to.

You can buy hitch tighteners that kind of pull the hitch up a little to keep it from banging around. Using one of those would keep it from sagging as much. Here is one example:
https://www.amazon.com/SAUNICE-Tightener-Anti-Ratt...&psc=1

Can't really see the hitch extender very well in this pic, but it's humorous.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike rack that works with rear spare tire carrier/trays Reply with quote

+1 on the hitch extender. Harbor Fright has them super cheap.
Westaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike rack that works with rear spare tire carrier/trays Reply with quote

Thank you all for the input... I feel a bit silly not thinking about a hitch extender, and it appears that Kuat even makes one now:

http://www.kuatracks.com/products/accessories/

Between that and the hitch tightener I should be good.

I will say that if I had to do it again, I might look at the 1up rack as I really like the way it slopes upwards to maintain ground clearance. For those of you with a 1up, does it accomodate road bikes as well? Is it adjustable for kids / smaller bikes?

The RWM switchback attachment is pretty awesome with the 1up racks.
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike rack that works with rear spare tire carrier/trays Reply with quote

I have a 1 Up. Best rack I've ever owned and that includes Yakima and Thule. There's no plastic to break or breakdown in the sun and yes...it fits road bikes really well.

Kid's bikes? I don't see any photos of kid's bikes on the 1 Up site. Maybe give them a ring.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike rack that works with rear spare tire carrier/trays Reply with quote

Here's the old Thule rack with an extender, and the RMW tray deployed. This was just this past weekend on the Texas coast.

kourt
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike rack that works with rear spare tire carrier/trays Reply with quote

izzydog wrote:
I have a 1 Up. Best rack I've ever owned and that includes Yakima and Thule. There's no plastic to break or breakdown in the sun and yes...it fits road bikes really well.

Kid's bikes? I don't see any photos of kid's bikes on the 1 Up site. Maybe give them a ring.

Agreed. Give them a call, they’re friendly folks from small town Wisconsin.

Abscate wrote:

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike rack that works with rear spare tire carrier/trays Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:

I regret buying my GoWesty 2" hitch so much right now.

Don’t regret it too much. I bought one, used it a year and then realized it wouldn’t work with the Bostig. I put the hitch on CL and the dude who came to buy it not only paid my asking price but he also bought my 2.1 wbx. Best CL buyer ever!

shagginwagon83 wrote:

Edit: Wow. This looks like a winter project for sure.

That pic brings back memories. I installed the RMW swing outs and switch back racks during the final weeks of recovery from a knee replacement. It was a fun project to do in a gimpy, pain-med addled mindset during beautiful spring days away from work.

RMW sells a great product and sends it out remarkably well-packaged with great instructions. The install was entirely straightforward.

Abscate wrote:

scavengers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike rack that works with rear spare tire carrier/trays Reply with quote

benandmj wrote:

I had a similar swing away setup that held up well and allowed for access to the back of the van.

@benandmj what is the rack system you were using here?
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike rack that works with rear spare tire carrier/trays Reply with quote

New updated bike rack for my Westy.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike rack that works with rear spare tire carrier/trays Reply with quote

scavengers wrote:
benandmj wrote:

@benandmj what is the rack system you were using here?

I’m 99% certain those are GW swingouts mounted on the GW bumpers.

As for the bike mounts, they look like a version of Yalkima Boa. The crappy trademark Yakima faded red button on the rear mount is a giveaway.

https://www.rackattack.com/bike-racks/roof-mount-bike-racks/yakima-boa/

Abscate wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: