Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Install an electronic ignition on a manual ignition Dometic?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidascher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Install an electronic ignition on a manual ignition Dometic? Reply with quote

My wife is pretty annoyed with the manual ignition process on the mid 80s dometic. I saw a video showing off the electronic igniter and that seemed smart but I don’t know if it’s possible to retrofit on a manual setup. Any pointers?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Install an electronic ignition on a manual ignition Dometic? Reply with quote

I recall threads where this has been done. I considered it for about a minute then decided what I have works and puts me in control of the sparky - so I left it be.
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Install an electronic ignition on a manual ignition Dometic? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=509217
See Otmar's video near the bottom of the first page.
davidascher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Install an electronic ignition on a manual ignition Dometic? Reply with quote

Thanks jmranger Otmar's video is what started me down this path. I was hoping for some more details about the wiring of the high voltage wire in particular -- because the stock fridge of that era is manually triggered I don't understand where the high voltage lead would connect to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Install an electronic ignition on a manual ignition Dometic? Reply with quote

I did Otmar's upgrade to my fridge a couple of years ago. The ignitor uses the 12 volt side not high voltage. Really great mod! Thank you Otmar!!

Otmars' pic with added connection labels. Save the pic and blow it up for reference.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Install an electronic ignition on a manual ignition Dometic? Reply with quote

davidascher wrote:
Thanks jmranger Otmar's video is what started me down this path. I was hoping for some more details about the wiring of the high voltage wire in particular -- because the stock fridge of that era is manually triggered I don't understand where the high voltage lead would connect to.

The high voltage output of Otmar's electronic igniter is functionally equivalent to the high voltage output of your current piezo igniter. Unplug the spark wire from the old igniter, plug it on the new one, done. The connector has a different shape, so you may need small pliers to reshape it - but that's it.
Then you need to add 12V and ground to the electronic igniter. Connecting the igniter's LED output is optional.

I'm not sure if you see things as more complicated than they are, or if I don't understand your question?
davidascher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Install an electronic ignition on a manual ignition Dometic? Reply with quote

jmranger sorry somehow I never noticed your reply. It's indeed as simple as you say!

I just (finally) did the install. It's mostly working on the bench, with one caveat -- the igniter doesn't stop clicking even after there's a flame. Also the spark also sounds quieter than it does in that video. All I can think that I can do to adjust things is the spark gap, which I imagine could affect the igniter's measurement of resistance (which, as I understand it, is how it detects the presence of a flame). I'm planning to try some adjustments with the spark gap tomorrow but if there's something else which could cause not-stopping let me know!
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Install an electronic ignition on a manual ignition Dometic? Reply with quote

davidascher wrote:
jmranger sorry somehow I never noticed your reply. It's indeed as simple as you say!

I just (finally) did the install. It's mostly working on the bench, with one caveat -- the igniter doesn't stop clicking even after there's a flame. Also the spark also sounds quieter than it does in that video. All I can think that I can do to adjust things is the spark gap, which I imagine could affect the igniter's measurement of resistance (which, as I understand it, is how it detects the presence of a flame). I'm planning to try some adjustments with the spark gap tomorrow but if there's something else which could cause not-stopping let me know!

Did you put in an on-off switch for the igniter
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
davidascher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Install an electronic ignition on a manual ignition Dometic? Reply with quote

I did. But I realized after posting that I forgot to ground the negative 12v line to the chassis. I’ll try that next.
DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Install an electronic ignition on a manual ignition Dometic? Reply with quote

you mentioned that your spark doesn't sound as loud as it should.
Make sure that your high tension wire (to electrode) is well insulated. A leak
could cause a lighter spark.
davidascher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Install an electronic ignition on a manual ignition Dometic? Reply with quote

Ah, that's a great point @DLJ. I noticed some fraying on the insulation near the combustion chamber. I may wrap it in some heat-shrink tubing and electrical tape and see if it helps. Is there a good source for a replacement lead?
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Install an electronic ignition on a manual ignition Dometic? Reply with quote

David:

Since you are in Vancouver, why don't you just grab my (free) 1991 Dometic? I will not use it again and it worked when removed to install my Truckfridge TF-65. It will be one less thing in the crawl space for me and Mrs. Howesight.
davidascher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Install an electronic ignition on a manual ignition Dometic? Reply with quote

@Howesight -- Thanks! I sent you a DM but maybe that didn't get to you? I'm interested. (especially since my high tension wire seems to be falling apart)
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Install an electronic ignition on a manual ignition Dometic? Reply with quote

davidascher wrote:

Hi David,
Sorry for the delay - I'm not on TheSamba that often these days.
The quieter sound wouldn't worry me, as long as it works. The non-stop sparking however isn't the way it's supposed to be. Yes, the positioning of the sparking electrode is what I'd look at first. But another scenario that hasn't been mentioned yet is that your igniter may be defective, even if new.
Regarding the fraying, if your electrode wire is good enough to carry the high-voltage spark, I'm quite sure it's good enough to carry the low-intensity signal back to feed the flame sensor. If you try to fix the fraying, make sure that you're using materials that will tolerate the heat of that area.
In any case, I'd jump on Howsight's fantastic offer. Very Happy
davidascher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Install an electronic ignition on a manual ignition Dometic? Reply with quote

Thanks @jmranger.

Latest developments: two days ago, everything was working well (even got the igniter to stop clicking once the flame was lit. Yesterday, the igniter now only clicks if I don't have the lead plugged in. I'm baffled. Hoping Howsight logs back on soon =)
davidascher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Install an electronic ignition on a manual ignition Dometic? Reply with quote

Final update: While I wait for Howesight to return, I pulled out the fancy igniter and put back the piezo switch. The fridge has worked flawlessly since, even staying lit while driving, which never happened before. Thanks for the help everyone.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: