Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Late 1959 rear fenders, ribbed or not?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Late 1959 rear fenders, ribbed or not? Reply with quote

I've searched everywhere, and can't seem to find the exact cutoff on ribbed rear fenders. They were obviously used through 1959, but when was the exact cutoff month, and does anyone have actual proof? According to progressive refinements and buginfo.de, the 1958 model year was from August of 1957-November 1958, and it shows the 1959 model year being from November 1958-September of 1959. So when was the last month of ribbed rear fenders? Does anyone own an all original US spec July or August bug with ribbed rear fenders?
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1959 rear fenders, ribbed or not? Reply with quote

Nobody?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1959 rear fenders, ribbed or not? Reply with quote

Just wait for it... it takes time for those who don't know to research to figure out what they hell they are.. Laughing

Beginning in Aug 1955 model years were standardized and are typically from Aug 1 **** to the next July 31 ****

Im not sure where you got your model year month breaks.. but I think yours are incorrect.

Shooting from the hip... as I have no proof as to when the ribs or structural channels were omitted ....

There are 3 notations regarding fenders and mounting change.. for the time period in question.

Apr, 1958 (1958 Model year)
VIN 1 904 235
Installation of fenders
Now: 13 mm hex. bolts used
for securing fender/ body,
fender,'sill panel, and horn
Formerly: 14 mm

Aug 1959 (1960 Model year)
VIN 2 528 668
Front fenders
Headlight housing support
discarded. Headlight cables
routed through rubber conduit

Aug 1959 (1960 Model Year)
VIN 2 533 158
Front fender
Now: opening for the headlight
located 45 mm (1.78") ·
higher as well: as further forward.
Size of wheel arcincreased

Knowing the ribs were into the 1959 model year.. the most likely time for ribless fenders.. were at the change for the 1960 fender design..

Maybe this will get the ball rolling for 1959/1960 experts.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1959 rear fenders, ribbed or not? Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Just wait for it... it takes time for those who don't know to research to figure out what they hell they are.. Laughing

Beginning in Aug 1955 model years were standardized and are typically from Aug 1 **** to the next July 31 ****

Im not sure where you got your model year month breaks.. but I think yours are incorrect.

Shooting from the hip... as I have no proof as to when the ribs or structural channels were omitted ....

There are 3 notations regarding fenders and mounting change.. for the time period in question.

VIN 1 904 235
Installation of fenders

VIN 2 528 668
Front fenders

VIN 2 533 158
Front fender
located 45 mm (1.78") ·

Knowing the ribs were into the 1959 model year.. the most likely time for ribless fenders.. were at the change for the 1960 fender design..

Progressive refinements lists November 1st or something as being the first actual 1959 model. I know the 1959 only colors came out in August, but there are numerous items that stopped in 58 like the cigar ashtray, rear seat stops, 58 only front turn signal housings, and quite a few other things.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1959 rear fenders, ribbed or not? Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:

Progressive refinements lists November 1st or something as being the first actual 1959 model. I know the 1959 only colors came out in August, but there are numerous items that stopped in 58 like the cigar ashtray, rear seat stops, 58 only front turn signal housings, and quite a few other things.

IMO.. Chalk that one up to another one of the inaccuracies found in the PR's Just like in regards to other items and changes we as enthusiast have found over the years not listed in the PR's.. Some things are not listed.. some things are inaccurate and some things are spot on..

Model year colors don't lie.. Wink ..

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1959 rear fenders, ribbed or not? Reply with quote

Nope, the colors definitely don’t lie, but they definitely used a lot of 58 parts on 59’s until they used them up.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1959 rear fenders, ribbed or not? Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
Nope, the colors definitely don’t lie, but they definitely used a lot of 58 parts on 59’s until they used them up.

Agreed.. it was VW's way of being frugal.. Laughing Laughing

One I found..
bill may wrote:
58 and 59 rear fenders are the same.
58/59 front fenders the same.
1960 lost the dimples between bolt holes.

Again no true blue proof.. but sure seems like the logical.. and frugal time .. as for 1960 the fender stamp/shape change..
Vw would not have spent money on dies....... just to omit the channels alone..

Usually and often edited
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1959 rear fenders, ribbed or not? Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
jays58s wrote:

Agreed.. it was VW's way of being frugal.. Laughing Laughing

One I found..
bill may wrote:
58 and 59 rear fenders are the same.
58/59 front fenders the same.
1960 lost the dimples between bolt holes.

Again no true blue proof.. but sure seems like legitimate time .. as for 1960 the fender stamp/shape change..
Makes logical sense to me..

I’m hoping to find someone with a July built car, that would definitely be actual proof. I just can’t see them switching in June.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1959 rear fenders, ribbed or not? Reply with quote

Agreed.. that would be as hard as finding a July build car.. with original fenders.. Laughing

In most reported accounts like most auto manufacturers of the time.. VW had a 2 week summer retooling in June/July.. to get ready for the next model year..
There have been some reports of findings of late LATE build (late July) actually containing the next model year refinements... some were held to sell as new models.. some slipped out...

Fender topic also list 1960 as the "flat" era Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=448426

Usually and often edited
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1959 rear fenders, ribbed or not? Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Agreed.. that would be as hard as finding a July build car.. with original fenders.. Laughing

In most reported accounts like most auto manufacturers of the time.. VW had a 2 week summer retooling in June/July.. to get ready for the next model year..
There have been some reports of findings of late LATE build (late July) actually containing the next model year refinements... some were held to sell as new models.. some slipped out...

Fender topic also list 1960 as the "flat" era Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=448426

I really appreciate your help! I’ll keep doing some digging just for my own piece of mind lol.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1959 rear fenders, ribbed or not? Reply with quote

Still hoping for some information if anyone has actual proof. I know for a fact that the front fenders on a 59 are different, it lost the bulge at the headlight bucket and running board mounting area, but I’m more curious as to when Vw actually dropped the ribs on the rear fenders. Any proof is greatly appreciated!
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1959 rear fenders, ribbed or not? Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

VIN 1 904 235
Installation of fenders

VIN 2 528 668
Front fenders

VIN 2 533 158
Front fender
located 45 mm (1.78") ·

The cigar (louvered) ashtray continued into '59. I know because I had a '59 that I bought from the original owner and it had that ashtray. It also had the dot dash rear fenders.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1959 rear fenders, ribbed or not? Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
jays58s wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

VIN 1 904 235
Installation of fenders

VIN 2 528 668
Front fenders

VIN 2 533 158
Front fender
located 45 mm (1.78") ·

The cigar (louvered) ashtray continued into '59. I know because I had a '59 that I bought from the original owner a

nd it had that ashtray. It also had the dot dash rear fenders.

Ive owned quite a few 59’s, and none of them built after November, had the cigar ashtray. I need to find someone with a July 59, or even late June, and see what fenders they have.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1959 rear fenders, ribbed or not? Reply with quote

What is a ribbed fender?

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1959 rear fenders, ribbed or not? Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:
jays58s wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

VIN 1 904 235
Installation of fenders

VIN 2 528 668
Front fenders

VIN 2 533 158
Front fender
located 45 mm (1.78") ·

The cigar (louvered) ashtray continued into '59. I know because I had a '59 that I bought from the original owner a

nd it had that ashtray. It also had the dot dash rear fenders.

Ive owned quite a few 59’s, and none of them built after November, had the cigar ashtray. I need to find someone with a July 59, or even late June, and see what fenders they have.

I still have the VIN for that car so I will look it up and post the month of production.

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1959 rear fenders, ribbed or not? Reply with quote

My '59 had a VIN of 2298xxx so it was produced in February of 1959.

It had the louvered cigar ashtray, dot dash rear fenders and the old style dark plexi sun visors. The color was L 243 diamond grey with the Green/Grey leatherette interior.

jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1959 rear fenders, ribbed or not? Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:

It had the louvered cigar ashtray, dot dash rear fenders and the old style dark plexi sun visors.

Mine has no cigar ashtray, non ribbed fenders, and the dark plastic visors. I had always thought all 59’s had ribbed fenders, but my current 59 is so original, that I have a hard time thinking the rear fenders were ever replaced.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1959 rear fenders, ribbed or not? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
What is a ribbed fender?

Bug On!

The rear fenders up through at least part of '59 had reinforcement ribs pressed between the mounting holes on the mounting flange. They are referred to as either ribbed or dot dash fenders.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1959 rear fenders, ribbed or not? Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:

It had the louvered cigar ashtray, dot dash rear fenders and the old style dark plexi sun visors.

Mine has no cigar ashtray, non ribbed fenders, and the dark plastic visors. I had always thought all 59’s had ribbed fenders, but my current 59 is so original, that I have a hard time thinking the rear fenders were ever replaced.

My car was completely original other than a crappy grey respray over the original Diamond Grey paint. All four fenders had the original paint under the undercoating and had no evidence of any body damage front or rear.

jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1959 rear fenders, ribbed or not? Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
jays58s wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:

My car was completely original other than a crappy grey respray over the original Diamond Grey paint. All four fenders had the original paint under the undercoating and had no evidence of any body damage front or rear.

I think to fully cure my curiosity, I need to find someone with a late June car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: