Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
Thanks so much! ...however this is in Germany > I need one in Canada Sad

D'oh! For some reason I thought you were looking in Europe.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
epowell wrote:
Thanks so much! ...however this is in Germany > I need one in Canada Sad

D'oh! For some reason I thought you were looking in Europe.

Well I am mostly in Europe and I WAS looking over here, but figured out that shipping to Canada would be too costly.

Boy I would like to have that top in Vancouver!!!
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

still there for 36eur! ...17 hours left!
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
still there for 36eur! ...17 hours left!

thats because you can bid only from germany.
but will rise in the last minute
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

well, ended cheap, somebody had luck
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
well, ended cheap, somebody had luck

I WISH (!) i could find one like that in Canada!!! Over here I have no use... I don't intend to get another van in Europe.....
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

I was reliving tim_ha's trip to South America at work this morning (because reading old travel blogs is what I do in the dead of winter when I'm daydreaming about being on the road) and happened upon his homemade pop top. It's similar to a Reimo mushroom top but far cooler:

http://subagonsouth.com/one-of-a-kind-custom-poptop/

More food for thought if nothing else.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
I was reliving tim_ha's trip to South America at work this morning (because reading old travel blogs is what I do in the dead of winter when I'm daydreaming about being on the road) and happened upon his homemade pop top. It's similar to a Reimo mushroom top but far cooler:

http://subagonsouth.com/one-of-a-kind-custom-poptop/

More food for thought if nothing else.
Popcorn Applause
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me the the exact height [from floor to ceiling] of the GETAWAY and ADVENTUREWAGON hightops?

I am trying to determine what it would be like to sleep in the upper bunk with one of those compared to my very high REIMO hightop.

Thanks!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

I don't have the measurements for either, however, I friend of mine had a Syncro Adventurewagen and two small daughters (10 and 12) that slept upstairs, and they hated isleeping in it (they girls thought it was too small, coffin-like).

They loved the Syncro though, so he ended up selling the Adventurewagen and bought a regular Syncro Westfalia instead (they're all a lot happier now).

I'd assume if an adult tries to sleep upstairs for a weekend trip might work out, but most of the folks that I know that have an Adventurewagen end up using the upper bunk for storage instead.

epowell wrote:
Can anyone tell me the the exact height [from floor to ceiling] of the GETAWAY and ADVENTUREWAGON hightops?

I am trying to determine what it would be like to sleep in the upper bunk with one of those compared to my very high REIMO hightop.

Thanks!

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
I don't have the measurements for either, however, I friend of mine had a Syncro Adventurewagen and two small daughters (10 and 12) that slept upstairs, and they hated isleeping in it (they girls thought it was too small, coffin-like).

They loved the Syncro though, so he ended up selling the Adventurewagen and bought a regular Syncro Westfalia instead (they're all a lot happier now).

I'd assume if an adult tries to sleep upstairs for a weekend trip might work out, but most of the folks that I know that have an Adventurewagen end up using the upper bunk for storage instead.

Thanks for this info - and that is the conclusion we all more or less came - however I would still like the measurements and do a kind of test to see how I will feel. The point is that getting an AW hightop might be possible and cheap... but all the very tall ones are ultra expensive.

I measured my BED ROOM today and found that I have 55cm of bed-height not including the mattress - so about 50cm with mattress... my estimate is that the AW height is about 12cm less than that. I am hoping someone can confirm this.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

So in order to make a decision on what kind of HIGHTOP I will buy I decided to try some experiments in order to really experience what it would be like to have less head-room in the upper bed bunk.
So what I did was to add another mattress (about 6 or 7inches thick) to the existing mattress up there, and tested it out.
Here is my hightop:

This is what it is normally like upstairs

This is what I added

This is the result

So judging on that last foto, for those of you who have experienced the AW upperbunk height, would you say this is a reasonable facsimile of what it is like to sleep in an AW or a GETAWAY hightop?
I found that when I lay on my side I still have about 1 or 2 inches of space before my shoulder hit the ceiling... does this sound about right?

My feeling up there is that I think I would be OK up there just for sleeping - and sleeping only. It was OK and if getting one of these would save me $2000 I would go for it. On the other hand, the amount of space you get with the 'full height' of my original hightop, there is so much headroom that you can really use that space up there to actually hangout in and do stuff... it is very spacious.

- - -

Here are some height comparisons between the most common hightops available.

jxgyvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

Interior measurements on my GETAWAY hightop:

Rear section floor to ceiling: ~200cm (~78.75")
Forward section (under roofvent) floor to ceiling ~189cm (~74.5")
Upper bed base to ceiling WITHOUT mattress ~60cm (~24")

Note: this van has an insulated subfloor (about 2cm thick) and roof insulation (also about 2cm).

While it is not roomy, I am able to sleep in the upper bunk quite comfortably. YMMV.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

jxgyvr wrote:
Interior measurements on my GETAWAY hightop:

Note: this van has an insulated subfloor (about 2cm thick) and roof insulation (also about 2cm).

While it is not roomy, I am able to sleep in the upper bunk quite comfortably. YMMV.

hmmm... are there different types of "GETAWAY" hightops? Because the measurements you just gave are EXACTLY the same as on my own hightop, which to my understanding is much higher than a GETAWAY top. See foto, is yours like this GETAWAY? ...or can you take a pic of yours from the outside?
Thanks

I think yours must be like this one (looks higher... must be a later version)

jxgyvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

I am quite certain that my hightop is the same shell as the one shown in the picture. However the photo posted on this thread does not seem to accurately show its true height, relative to the rest of the vehicle.
g shepherd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

I measured my AW hightop this morning.

The upper bed base to ceiling WITHOUT mattress is 20 inches or 51 cms.
It is 47 inches wide at the bed base and 41 inches wide near the top.

I know I'm in the minority on this but I don't mind sleeping up top-- it's cozy! I am 6-2 200lbs. With a comfy sleeping pad in place I still have room to sleep on my side, turn over, etc.

It's also fine for my two younger kids (ages 9 & 12) to share, but the teenagers will only sleep up there solo. When I tell the four of them to sort out the sleeping arrangements, they put the oldest up top and the three younger ones share the full-width lower bed. Wife and I are in a tent.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

jxgyvr wrote:
I am quite certain that my hightop is the same shell as the one shown in the picture. However the photo posted on this thread does not seem to accurately show its true height, relative to the rest of the vehicle.

I'm still quite confused about this GETAWAY... looks to me like there are two versions of this. (see both fotos ^^^^)

g shepherd wrote:
I measured my AW hightop this morning.

The upper bed base to ceiling WITHOUT mattress is 20 inches or 51 cms.
It is 47 inches wide at the bed base and 41 inches wide near the top.

I know I'm in the minority on this but I don't mind sleeping up top-- it's cozy! I am 6-2 200lbs. With a comfy sleeping pad in place I still have room to sleep on my side, turn over, etc.

These measurements are about what I would expect in comparison to mine, but may I ask you, does yours have the still arched rear section of the roof, or do you have the more spacious "flat ceiling" at the rear section?

I agree with you, 50cm is enough space to be happy up there Smile
jxgyvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

Consolidating two posts: interior and exterior dimensions and a couple of exterior pics of the height of the GETAWAY Hightop on an 87 Syncro Transporter.

Interior measurements:

Exterior height: +/- 2.55 meters (+/- 8' 3")

Note: interior insulated subfloor (about 2cm thick) and roof insulation (also about 2cm).

epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

jxgyvr wrote:
Consolidating two posts: interior and exterior dimensions and a couple of exterior pics of the height of the GETAWAY Hightop on an 87 Syncro Transporter.

Interior measurements:

Exterior height: +/- 2.55 meters (+/- 8' 3")

Note: interior insulated subfloor (about 2cm thick) and roof insulation (also about 2cm).

Nice... thanks for that. I wonder why some of the GETAWAY tops look so much shorter??

My guess is that the best chance (probably ONLY chance) of finding a used separate hightop around Vancouver is either a GETAWAY or an AW.
jxgyvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

There is a guy in the BC Lower Mainland who is making a hightop that may be a replica of the Getaway design. I think the company goes by the name Coast Mountain Hightops. A quick internet search should turn up some hits.

(Full disclosure: I am NOT in any way connected to them).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: