Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Questions on Kennedy CARB approved (California) Subaru EJ22 kit
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Questions on Kennedy CARB approved (California) Subaru EJ22 kit Reply with quote

I have some questions on the California smog legal Kennedy kit using a Subaru Legacy 2.2L engine and emission parts to replace the factory Vanagon engine. It specifically calls out for a '90-'94 OBD I EJ22. Is there a code on this engine which identifies the year (cast, stamped, or decal) that the smog certifier would look for? The reason I'm asking this is because I bought a '95 EJ22 engine, which is the first year for OBD II & not correct for the KEP kit. It's complete minus the engine harness. Can I install a '90-'94 harness on this '95 engine and keep it CARB compliant? Are the sensors OBD I or II specific? Lastly, is there any other small differences on the '95 EJ22 vs the '90-'94 EJ22 I should be aware of? From what I can find online, it looks like the EJ22 engines between 1990 to 1996 are all the same except for '95 & '96 being OBD2.
I plan on purchasing the Kennedy kit & registering my '87 Syncro in CA.

Thanks.

Here's the excerpt & link below:

The California Air Resources Board Issued us an Executive Order allowing the installation of the ’90 – ’94 dual port Subaru 2.2 engine into the 1980 – 1991 Volkswagen Vanagons. It requires that the Subaru engine be used complete, from its air flow meter to its O2 sensor (except for exhaust manifold piping and optional section of the intake air duct.) The Subaru ECU and wiring are retained, but modified per KEP instructions. A check engine light must be installed on the dash. The Vanagon charcoal canister is retained. The CARB Executive order refers to a complete kit, and is to be sold this way, not as individual components. Kits will include copies of the Executive Order and a self-adhesive label to be attached to the body in the engine compartment. Individual pricing of the parts is available for out of state applications as well as for customers wanting them for use on other model or year Volkswagens that do not need to be CARB compliant. The Executive Order does not cover 1979 and earlier vans, the air inlet duct interferes with the gasoline tank on these vehicles.

https://www.kennedyeng.com/subaru-vanagon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Questions on Kennedy CARB approved (California) Subaru EJ22 kit Reply with quote

Seems to be the same engine w some added smog stuff. I’m sure there’s a code difference stamped into the case but it’s very hard to see below the plenum and wiring harness etc.there does appear to be a few differences that one in the know would be able to ID w/o any problems or inconvenience esp w one of those border patrol search mirrors

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Questions on Kennedy CARB approved (California) Subaru EJ22 kit Reply with quote

I think you will need to swap out a few things. There are some groups on Facebook that you will need to access. Let me know if you need the links. Also the Yahoo group. I would think you are best off if possible to get a 94 and under with ecu and harness. Like find a beater for $500.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Questions on Kennedy CARB approved (California) Subaru EJ22 kit Reply with quote

Good luck finding a cheap beater, not down here at least, you may have better luck north of LA, I search at least twice a day every day looking for donors, there are a few in Portland right now.
Last one down here was $1500, there was one before Christmas at $650, when I spoke to the guy, someone had PayPal'd him a deposit, for collection a month later, it went to oceanside, and into an early Bay, that didn't need to pass smog anyway Sad

[email protected] wrote:
I think you will need to swap out a few things. There are some groups on Facebook that you will need to access. Let me know if you need the links. Also the Yahoo group. I would think you are best off if possible to get a 94 and under with ecu and harness. Like find a beater for $500.

619 201 0310
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Questions on Kennedy CARB approved (California) Subaru EJ22 kit Reply with quote

markswagen wrote:
Good luck finding a cheap beater, not down here at least, you may have better luck north of LA, I search at least twice a day every day looking for donors, there are a few in Portland right now.
Last one down here was $1500, there was one before Christmas at $650, when I spoke to the guy, someone had PayPal'd him a deposit, for collection a month later, it went to oceanside, and into an early Bay, that didn't need to pass smog anyway Sad

Shocked I paid $250 for a 90k mile '91 EJ22 and harness, pulled and ready for pickup. But that was back in 2006. I love that motor and consider swapping one into my Syncro if I couldn't get the ABA running right.

Maybe try car-part.com? There are a bunch of EJ22 motors listed in CA. Here's a small sample:

Engine Assembly
Subaru Legacy 90 LEGACY 2.2 ENGINE 42384 $550 Shamrock Auto Salvage USA-CA(Ridgecrest) Request_Quote 760-446-5865

Engine Assembly
Subaru Legacy (2.2L, VIN '6' 6th digit), w/o turbo- 307,000 C A0013 $550 Shamrock Auto Salvage USA-CA(Ridgecrest) Request_Quote 760-446-5865

Engine Assembly
Subaru Legacy 92 LEGACY 2.2L ENGINE w/o turbo 232,000 C A227 $550 Shamrock Auto Salvage USA-CA(Ridgecrest) Request_Quote 760-446-5865

Engine Assembly
Subaru Legacy (312S-A) 19180 $650 Standard Auto Recycling USA-CA(Chula-Vista) Request_Quote 619-426-9476

Engine Assembly
Subaru Legacy 2.2 MT(O3A2S) 29772 $650 Standard Auto Recycling USA-CA(Chula-Vista) Request_Quote 619-426-9476

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Questions on Kennedy CARB approved (California) Subaru EJ22 kit Reply with quote

Finding an engine is MUCH easier than the harness, I'm not brave enough to trust that someone has pulled the entire harness without damaging it, not on my $ anyway, I have 3 customers who want conversions doing, shelling out $ on their behalf, and finding I now own an almost complete rats nest wouldn't be good for my bank balance.

joetiger wrote:

Shocked I paid $250 for a 90k mile '91 EJ22 and harness, pulled and ready for pickup. But that was back in 2006. I love that motor and consider swapping one into my Syncro if I couldn't get the ABA running right.

Maybe try car-part.com? There are a bunch of EJ22 motors listed in CA. Here's a small sample:

Engine Assembly
Subaru Legacy 90 LEGACY 2.2 ENGINE 42384 $550 Shamrock Auto Salvage USA-CA(Ridgecrest) Request_Quote 760-446-5865

Engine Assembly
Subaru Legacy (2.2L, VIN '6' 6th digit), w/o turbo- 307,000 C A0013 $550 Shamrock Auto Salvage USA-CA(Ridgecrest) Request_Quote 760-446-5865

Engine Assembly
Subaru Legacy 92 LEGACY 2.2L ENGINE w/o turbo 232,000 C A227 $550 Shamrock Auto Salvage USA-CA(Ridgecrest) Request_Quote 760-446-5865

Engine Assembly
Subaru Legacy (312S-A) 19180 $650 Standard Auto Recycling USA-CA(Chula-Vista) Request_Quote 619-426-9476

Engine Assembly
Subaru Legacy 2.2 MT(O3A2S) 29772 $650 Standard Auto Recycling USA-CA(Chula-Vista) Request_Quote 619-426-9476

619 201 0310
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Questions on Kennedy CARB approved (California) Subaru EJ22 kit Reply with quote

markswagen wrote:
Finding an engine is MUCH easier than the harness, I'm not brave enough to trust that someone has pulled the entire harness without damaging it, not on my $ anyway, I have 3 customers who want conversions doing, shelling out $ on their behalf, and finding I now own an almost complete rats nest wouldn't be good for my bank balance.

Agreed! Just offering a possible alternative. On mine, the harness went right through my hands, into a box, and off to Tom Shiels. There were a couple of areas that were cut and shouldn't have been which he repaired as part of the service.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Questions on Kennedy CARB approved (California) Subaru EJ22 kit Reply with quote

I would be the samee, sending them out to Jeff, but I feel it would not be cool to send him most of a harness, and expect a complete harness to be returned.

Thank you for your input, I will be looking in on a couple of the engines you suggested.
Biggest problem, after the smog, is the conversion shops locally, I think they have people go look around the breakers yards here, and get when ever they find, I've NEVER found one intact here Sad

joetiger wrote:

Agreed! Just offering a possible alternative. On mine, the harness went right through my hands, into a box, and off to Tom Shiels. There were a couple of areas that were cut and shouldn't have been which he repaired as part of the service.

619 201 0310
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Questions on Kennedy CARB approved (California) Subaru EJ22 kit Reply with quote

markswagen wrote:

Thank you for your input, I will be looking in on a couple of the engines you suggested.
Biggest problem, after the smog, is the conversion shops locally, I think they have people go look around the breakers yards here, and get when ever they find, I've NEVER found one intact here Sad

I just grabbed a few random ones from Car-part.com. It's an oft-overlooked source for parts by our community, it seems. I've actually scored some hard-to-find Vanagon bits there.

This is one of those rare cases where I think Colorado is actually a better source for car parts than California. Subarus everywhere.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Questions on Kennedy CARB approved (California) Subaru EJ22 kit Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
markswagen wrote:

I just grabbed a few random ones from Car-part.com. It's an oft-overlooked source for parts by our community, it seems. I've actually scored some hard-to-find Vanagon bits there.

This is one of those rare cases where I think Colorado is actually a better source for car parts than California. Subarus everywhere.

Agreed also Washington and Oregon. You want a rust bucket or rearender or blown transmission vehicle.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions on Kennedy CARB approved (California) Subaru EJ22 kit Reply with quote

Keep your eyes peeled.

I just bought a 2001 Forester w a bad tranny. 145k on the motor with new head gaskets as of 2012. $1300 but thats worth the headache of not doing the gaskets and timing belt anytime soon. Now if I could only find a broken down westy.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions on Kennedy CARB approved (California) Subaru EJ22 kit Reply with quote

AZ Landshaper wrote:
Seems to be the same engine w some added smog stuff. I’m sure there’s a code difference stamped into the case but it’s very hard to see below the plenum and wiring harness etc.there does appear to be a few differences that one in the know would be able to ID w/o any problems or inconvenience esp w one of those border patrol search mirrors

Thanks. I did find the vin stamped into the right rear side. EJ22 is cast in on the top.

[email protected] wrote:

Yeah send me the yahoo link. I dont have a facebook acct though.

markswagen wrote:
Last one down here was $1500...(

I see the prices are higher in the SW. I had to grab this motor as it was only $250.

markswagen wrote:

Thats good to know. I'm gonna hit the junkyards for a harness when it starts warming up.
joetiger wrote:
...On mine, the harness went right through my hands, into a box, and off to Tom Shiels. There were a couple of areas that were cut and shouldn't have been which he repaired as part of the service.

Do you have any pics of that harness? Did he thin it down by removing unnecessary wires?

FYI, I pick the motor up tomorrow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions on Kennedy CARB approved (California) Subaru EJ22 kit Reply with quote

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/subaruvanagon/conversations/messages

You need a Yahoo account to access. Congrats on not being on FB
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions on Kennedy CARB approved (California) Subaru EJ22 kit Reply with quote

If you ever end up going to see a California smog ref, they will want to know your VIN number of the donor vehicle, so they can check the smog equipment that it is supposed to have. If your vin number is not the correct year, this will be a problem. Plenty of people here have a Kennedy conversion and have never visited a ref, so this may be a moot point. But times do change and California smog will continue to change, as well.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Questions on Kennedy CARB approved (California) Subaru EJ22 kit Reply with quote

Get all info on engine year model vin ect. Jeff might have a spare wire loom for you.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Questions on Kennedy CARB approved (California) Subaru EJ22 kit Reply with quote

Got it Smile noticeably lighter and smaller than wbx.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Questions on Kennedy CARB approved (California) Subaru EJ22 kit Reply with quote

Boom boom boom let the fun begin
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Questions on Kennedy CARB approved (California) Subaru EJ22 kit Reply with quote

Congratulations!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Questions on Kennedy CARB approved (California) Subaru EJ22 kit Reply with quote

They go REALLY quickly if and when he gets them, I have been asking him for an OBD1 loom for a while, I thought I'd gotten lucky, a week or so back, but it fell though.
I did get lucky yesterday, and now have an OBD1 loom, which will be winging it's way to Jeff, I'm still on the lookout, as I have 2 possibly 3 customers who want to go this route.

[email protected] wrote:
Get all info on engine year model vin ect. Jeff might have a spare wire loom for you.

619 201 0310
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: