Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Most efficient aux heater, Propex HS2000 vs HS2800
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
santeko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Most efficient aux heater, Propex HS2000 vs HS2800 Reply with quote

I'm looking to install a propex heater in my 1992 CV (which I live in full time and work remotely as a software nerd). I rescued a husky recently and want to spend the winter xc skiing with him in the northern cascades and canadian rockies. I think it'll get to about -20C in Jasper/Banff in January. The doggo and I will be fine, but I'd like to keep my sink water tank from freezing at night...

I recently upgraded the propane tank to the 6 gallon manchester tank GoWesty sells so I've got enough fuel to run the heater for weeks.

Numbers:
6 gallons = 9,109 grams.
Heater fuel consumption 142g/h
9109 / 142 = 64 hours.
From what I gather, it will probably kick on/off throughout the night, running for about 2 hours total in the 12ish hours of night in the winter.
64 / 2 = 32 days

I'm trying to decide between the smaller Propex heater (the HS2000) and the larger one (HS28000).

I'd like to get the most efficient system possible because my limiting factor will be my 200Ah aux batteries (my electrolux fridge only runs of 12V and my laptop consumes a fair amount of power while sunshine will be somewhat limited).

I'll spend the extra $100 on the larger heater if it means it will kick on less and generate more heat when it is on, thereby consuming less battery power for the same heat output...

From the propex specs the HS2000 consumes 1.4A and generates 1.9kW of heat while the HS28000 consumes 1.9A and generates 2.8kW of heat.

HS2000
1.9kW / 1.4A = 1.35 kW/A

HS2800
2.8kW / 1.9A = 1.47 kW/A

spend a $100 and get a 0.12 kW extra heat. I'm not taking into account the 20 C.F.M. increase (not sure how that would factor in). The HS2000 air output is 60 CFM while the HS2800 is 85 CFM.

Seem reasonable? (not the living in the van in -20C part, but the math part Very Happy)
Am I missing something? apart from a frostbite kit...ha!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by santeko on Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Most efficient aux heater, Propex HS2000 vs HS28000 Reply with quote

For some reason I was thinking you had a Winnie conversion. Either way it doesn't matter.

If you have a 20lb LP tank, it won't last long at -20 if you're trying to keep inside temp at 40. Maybe try a Mr Heater with an external 20lb tank. I wish you the best of luck.
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Most efficient aux heater, Propex HS2000 vs HS28000 Reply with quote

I've had the HS2000 and it worked great on a thermostat. It would cycle on and off throughout the night. I used it in a Vanagon with an Adventurewagen top (high top). The nice thing is that you can get an altitude kit for these heaters so that they work above 8,000'. A Mr. Buddy would automatically shut off at altitude. I used mine at the top of Vail Pass with no problems. As for comparing the 2 heaters, I would either post to the Vanagon list or contact Karl at Westy Ventures. There are plenty of propex installs in Vanagons but I've not seen many in a Eurovan. I've seen some Eurovan Weekenders going the route of Espar or Webasto heaters that run on gasoline which omits the need for a propane tank.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Most efficient aux heater, Propex HS2000 vs HS28000 Reply with quote

in my 1980 vanagon, I have the 2800, the extra heat capacity is really nice to have when you need it.

I figured the added $$ was over a long period of time/use.

it won't matter which one you have on kicking on/off cycles or time from off to back on.. as that's a matter of your heat losses.
it will get up to temperature quicker. and provide more heat when it's less than -20*

it's a pretty extreme set of conditions you are expecting to live in. so make sure you have a back up and possibly a back up to your back up..
batteries die early in cold
propane tanks frost over and produce less gas at low tank levels.
Huskies may like multiple walks, which opens your door multiple times.
a little vodka keeps water from freezing. maybe alot, I don't actually know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Most efficient aux heater, Propex HS2000 vs HS2800 Reply with quote

Santeko, How did your install go? Saw one of your photos on IG - looks like you have it all working well!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Most efficient aux heater, Propex HS2000 vs HS2800 Reply with quote

Ditch the propane And get two more Huskies for a three dog night,
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Most efficient aux heater, Propex HS2000 vs HS2800 Reply with quote

Propex information is outdated, actually both models draw 1.9A when running. For a short wheelbase T4, the 2000 should generally be enough heat unless you plan subzero (F.) adventures.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Most efficient aux heater, Propex HS2000 vs HS2800 Reply with quote

Over in the Vanagon section of the Samba there's a recent thread called Anyone tried these $179 Webasto heater knockoffs". Several pages, worth a good read. Several are discussed in some detail.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Most efficient aux heater, Propex HS2000 vs HS2800 Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:
Over in the Vanagon section of the Samba there's a recent thread called Anyone tried these $179 Webasto heater knockoffs". Several pages, worth a good read. Several are discussed in some detail.

But those are not Propex heaters, the subject of this particular thread. BUT, fwiw, if I was going to install a diesel furnace I would pay a little extra and get one that is well known and has parts and service support - not some crude copy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Most efficient aux heater, Propex HS2000 vs HS2800 Reply with quote

I installed the HS2211 Propex this October prior to a trip from Nova Scotia to Ottawa in November, 5th to 12th, 2018, in my '92 Eurovan CV Westfalia.

Temperatures were as low -7 Celsius at night. We were very comfortable with the heater left on through the night. We (wife and I) had the thermostat set 2 spots from the lowest setting. On warmer nights the heater cycled on for about 10 minutes or so each hour. On the coldest night it was close to continuous. It ran more at first until the cabin warmed up then stabilized after about an hour. This was after going out to dinner and we kept the pop top down to retain warmth.

We used very little propane - about a third of our tank I estimate - on this trip. We battery drain was negligible.

I removed the OEM hot coolant heater from under the van and used it's vents for hot and cold air in/out of the cabin.

I also installed a CO and Propane monitor.

I'll try to figure out how to post some pictures - no promises!

Cheers, Stephen
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: