Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

After 3.5 hrs at 60 MPH/3000 RPM then loses power
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: After 3.5 hrs at 60 MPH/3000 RPM then loses power Reply with quote

Hi,

My wife is currently on a trip to Cumberland Island, GA. from Atlanta in our 95 5-speed camper and after 200 miles or 3.5 hours on I-16 at 60 MPH/3000 RPM, she notices a lack of power forcing her to downshift from 5th to 4th gear just to keep up and then the temperature gauge starts to rise.

She pulls off for 30 minutes. Oil okay. Coolant okay. Starts right up. Runs fine so far but she has decided to take the back roads (not the intestate) the rest of the way tonight.

I am at a loss of the possibilities.

Idea(s)?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: After 3.5 hrs at 60 MPH/3000 RPM then loses power Reply with quote

Update----

My wife drove the rest of the way on the side roads with no problem.

I spoke to her over the phone and she said it was like the van was going up a hill in terms of losing power. She kept downshifting to no avail but got off the road when she saw the temp gauge rising. After waiting 20 minutes, she got back on the road and took the side roads with no problems thereafter.

Now today, she has 340 miles ahead of her. We'll see how it goes!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: After 3.5 hrs at 60 MPH/3000 RPM then loses power Reply with quote

Have the filters been changed lately . Also is there ethanol in the fuel there .
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: After 3.5 hrs at 60 MPH/3000 RPM then loses power Reply with quote

Thanks for your response.

Yes, all filters have been recently changed.

I'll have to check about the ethanol. I didn't consider that.

It's weird. Driving around town, country roads is fine. It's just after being on the highway for 3+ hours does this problem kick in.
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: After 3.5 hrs at 60 MPH/3000 RPM then loses power Reply with quote

I recently changed my wheels from 15" to 16" but I can't imagine that it impacting it.

Another possibility is perhaps the catalytic converter being clogged/bad which may impact the engine as it gets hotter (?).
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: After 3.5 hrs at 60 MPH/3000 RPM then loses power Reply with quote

I would think it has something to do with the cooling fans, coolant temp sensor, or the radiator fan switch. Obviously, something is not keeping up with the rest of the van after prolonged driving.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: