Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone running a straight axle split case trans?
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Anyone running a straight axle split case trans? Reply with quote

For my build I was going to run a 1776 with a later set up. But just scored a full okrasa set up and was thinking about keeping the vintage vibe with a split case and lowered. But on long hauls I may put the 1776 in. Anyone think the non rgb split case can handle a bus and or a 1776?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running a straight axle split case trans? Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
For my build I was going to run a 1776 with a later set up. But just scored a full okrasa set up and was thinking about keeping the vintage vibe with a split case and lowered. But on long hauls I may put the 1776 in. Anyone think the non rgb split case can handle a bus and or a 1776?

are we talking a later say 59-60 split case? i would be interested in knowing the answer to your question. I have seen barndoor trannies with 50hp 1600dps to motivate a BD camper, and i have seen that tranny replaced with a tunnel case.

if i had to do it i would not worry about a later split case, i always felt they were just about indestructable when used by adults

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running a straight axle split case trans? Reply with quote

I did it. Worked fine. It was a stock bus box with the reduction boxes removed and the R/P flipped. The gearing was perfect.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=200

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone running a straight axle split case trans? Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply. I posted in the split bus forums as well. From replies over there it seems to work fine depending on driving style. So I'm going to do this in mine as well. One guy said use a later 58-59 split case for more strength in it. I didn't know there was a stronger split case?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone running a straight axle split case trans? Reply with quote

There was a change on the main shaft. Minor but may help. You could look in Progressive Refinements and see when it actually occurred. I honestly don’t think it will make a difference. You are not drag racing with 100’s of hp.

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: