Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

It's official - I now have time to work on my bus!
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: It's official - I now have time to work on my bus! Reply with quote

Well - the last day of work was yesterday and they asked me what I wanted as to graphics - usually there is a looping half hour to hour powerpoint of photos ranging from baby photos to hard days at work - crawling under desks, working Audio Visual at public events and conferences, public speaking events - camping trips in California's outdoors etc. That always seems so self serving because it is like Uncle Fred's slide carousel - you know the one everyone looks like they are enjoying at family reunions - "and here is the rock Fred thought looked like a bumblebee but it didn't," etc. So I said no, let folks roam, come in and out for food, pizza etc and make this all about them so they can enjoy the party and not feel trapped. In life it isn't always about us - it is more about the people we serve and help. So they surprised me with this graphic below. I thought it was worth sharing with you because I know that everyone of the bus owners on theSamba can see themselves in the driver's seat with their family friend going out for a drive.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: It's official - I now have time to work on my bus! Reply with quote

Nice!

I have to ask though, what could you possibly still need to do to your bus? Every pic I've seen of it looks like it's already fully restored.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: It's official - I now have time to work on my bus! Reply with quote

Congratulations!
ateneo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: It's official - I now have time to work on my bus! Reply with quote

Happy retirement, SGKent,

I guess your bus restoration project will now go on high gear.
1971 Deluxe bus
1969 Bus
1962 Bug
1963 Bug
"Rust free" means Rust is FREE. The rest is junk.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: It's official - I now have time to work on my bus! Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Nice!

I have to ask though, what could you possibly still need to do to your bus? Every pic I've seen of it looks like it's already fully restored.

This was my first thought, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: It's official - I now have time to work on my bus! Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Well - the last day of work was yesterday

Hello Steve,
I remember that moment too, it seems like yesterday. July 1983.
"You're an idiot, you got it made here, what is wrong with you?"

And then there was that other retirement, July 2003.
The head of sales was saying, "You will regret this for the rest of your life, you were just promoted five weeks ago!"

I love how my retirements, which had so much anxiety and self-questioning swirling around them, now look like perfectly obvious steps towards a greater grasp of the good day.

Enjoy the next chapter!
Colin
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: It's official - I now have time to work on my bus! Reply with quote

Yay Steve!, congratulations on the "career change"!

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: It's official - I now have time to work on my bus! Reply with quote

Congrats Steve, we look forward to you having more free time for bus projects, tho as others have mentioned I can't imagine you have much left to do with the current one. Maybe a new project is just the thing you need for this volume of freetime.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: It's official - I now have time to work on my bus! Reply with quote

I'm just guessing but I think since well all know Steve's bus is finished and now he has so much free time, what he really wants is to work on someone else's bus.

I will step up and fill that void, Steve you have my permission to work on my bus as much as you want!

Very Happy
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: It's official - I now have time to work on my bus! Reply with quote

Congratulations man!

So...what is your 2nd "career" going to be! Wink

Its the American way!...work until the dirt pours into the hole!

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: It's official - I now have time to work on my bus! Reply with quote

Congrats!

Now you can enjoy the ride!!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: It's official - I now have time to work on my bus! Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
I'm just guessing but I think since well all know Steve's bus is finished and now he has so much free time, what he really wants is to work on someone else's bus.

I will step up and fill that void, Steve you have my permission to work on my bus as much as you want!

Very Happy

Shane - if you haven't figured it out yet - a bus is like an addiction. Just fix one more small thing and the work is done.... right? There is always something that needs a tweak here and there to get it just right. Right now I have an alternator chirp (probably harmless and is brushes but who wants a break down), and a set of Len's heads he specially ported for me to install. When that is done I want to inspect the transmission that I rebuilt to be sure everything looks perfect. Then there are boxes of NOS parts to be listed for sale that I no longer need. By then the bus will need another coat of wax and the tires will be aged enough to be replaced. It never ends.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: It's official - I now have time to work on my bus! Reply with quote

Congratulations on your retirement Steve!
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: It's official - I now have time to work on my bus! Reply with quote

Congrats man! I figured you would open a bus transmission shop since you are all tooled up now..... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: It's official - I now have time to work on my bus! Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
Congrats man! I figured you would open a bus transmission shop since you are all tooled up now..... Cool

I would have to come down there (where it warm) and mentor him ya if I have to Rolling Eyes congrats Steve.
WESTYJACK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: It's official - I now have time to work on my bus! Reply with quote

Congratulations on your retirement!
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: It's official - I now have time to work on my bus! Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
ivwshane wrote:

Very Happy

Shane - if you haven't figured it out yet - a bus is like an addiction. Just fix one more small thing and the work is done.... right? There is always something that needs a tweak here and there to get it just right. Right now I have an alternator chirp (probably harmless and is brushes but who wants a break down), and a set of Len's heads he specially ported for me to install. When that is done I want to inspect the transmission that I rebuilt to be sure everything looks perfect. Then there are boxes of NOS parts to be listed for sale that I no longer need. By then the bus will need another coat of wax and the tires will be aged enough to be replaced. It never ends.

Don't I know it!
My engine drop was just supposed to be to take care of some seals that were leaking, my bus was running great otherwise. Fast forward almost a year and I replaced all the seals, powder coated every tin, replaced the FI and alternator harness, replaced every nut and bolt and washer, and now I'm fully refurbishing my already updated exhaust:o
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: It's official - I now have time to work on my bus! Reply with quote

Quote:
and now I'm fully refurbishing my already updated exhaust Surprised

See ----- it is happening already Smile

Now you know how all us olde timers got hooked...............
whip618
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: It's official - I now have time to work on my bus! Reply with quote

Congratulations Steve, it's been two years since I retired and there are still not enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to and I am sure you will be the same.

Will we see you at Buses by the Bridge this year or maybe you can load up the bus and drive out to New Mexico for some good food, scenery and a visit.

Phil

Samba Member No. 3307
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: It's official - I now have time to work on my bus! Reply with quote

Congrats!
'65 Honda Dream
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: