Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Parts box obfuscation: why?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Parts box obfuscation: why? Reply with quote

"Nobody cared where the parts came from until they removed the label"

I bought some brake parts to get my panel back on the road. The original labels on the wheel cylinder boxes had been carefully "redacted" with a knife.

Why?

I probably wouldn't have cared if they hadn't done it, but seeing as they took the trouble to do, now I'm curious as to why. Are these shitty Chinese parts and they're trying to hide the fact? Are they actually wheel cylinders from a Reliant Robin and they don't want me to know?

This is basically a corrallary of the Streisand Effect

I remember buying parts in the 90's that had the part number dremmeled off. They were quality parts - not 3rd-world knockoffs - and I've heard several different theories as to why they did that.

I googled "q-parts brakes" and found http://www.q-partsusa.com/categoria-producto/brakes/ - but VW/Volkswagen isn't listed under "make" - which gives color to my Reliant Robin theory.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Parts box obfuscation: why? Reply with quote

i looked on the WW website. the 55-63 cylinders are listed as "Generic" in terms of country of origin.
my speculation is that they removed their supplier's labeling before applying the WW sticker. looks like tiny remnants of a yellow Pacific Parts sticker still on the box.
or maybe the removed label didn't have that oh-so-important prop 65 warning Rolling Eyes
how do the cylinders themselves look? are they decent?
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Parts box obfuscation: why? Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
how do the cylinders themselves look? are they decent?

They look similar to the 3rd-world parts that have been available for the past 20 years or so - rough casting that looks a little oversize.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Parts box obfuscation: why? Reply with quote

on a similar vein why do those parts only possibly cause cancer in California? Smile Bonus points should be awarded for accidental alliteration
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Parts box obfuscation: why? Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
on a similar vein why do those parts only possibly cause cancer in California? Smile Bonus points should be awarded for accidental alliteration

Additional accolades are always awarded after an accidental alliteration.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Parts box obfuscation: why? Reply with quote

thom wrote:
Are they actually wheel cylinders from a Reliant Robin and they don't want me to know?

It frightens me a little that you know what a Reliant Robin is. I thought we'd contained information about that breach of sanity.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
Jensers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Parts box obfuscation: why? Reply with quote

Very Happy
One of my favs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Parts box obfuscation: why? Reply with quote

Mr. Bean was the first thing I thought of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TqHv9BM39A

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
big bus mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Parts box obfuscation: why? Reply with quote

thom wrote:

In this particular case, that part came from Pacific Parts International a parts importer / wholesaler and WW is re-selling it. The giveaway is the yellow tag.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: