Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ABA 2.0 Swap; Cat Support Questions. PICS
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: ABA 2.0 Swap; Cat Support Questions. PICS Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

This is for a "diesel Vanagon" type exhaust with a "toilet bowl" aka Mk2 flex joint.

Is the "solid" support I made between the pre cat primary pipe and isolated diesel outer bracket a bad idea? If so, why?

Reason for installing the support; help keep engine vibration from causing the pre cat pipe to "wiggle".

The clamp at pipe was held closed with pliers while the nuts on rod were alternately turned the same amount. (avoid pushing/pulling the clamp at rod. Doing so might introduce stress)

I debated mounting a "softer" support between this pipe and body, then thought to mount the support to a metal-rubber hanger at the engine, but the 1.9 WBX, turbo diesel, some Subaru swaps, show a solid support in the exhaust system so I took that route.

The rod is small, was originally meant for the type of metal-rubber hanger shown below but if this added support causes something to break, I'd rather it be the rod and not the cat. (the rod would be the "canary in the coal mine" so to speak)

view from driver side

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

looking up

I have a square version of this

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA 2.0 Swap; Cat Support Questions. PICS Reply with quote

Hi Neil. I think that that rod will be to flexible to help much with cracking. If nothing else I would add another rod to make a triangle from the bottom to out near the muffler hanger. Just my thought do with it what you want. John
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA 2.0 Swap; Cat Support Questions. PICS Reply with quote

Thanks John. I agree that the support is not very strong. One reason I made it that way was that if vibration does make that pipe "wobble", that vibration might break the support before causing a failure elsewhere in the exhaust. e.g. at the cat inlet.

Since the support is attached to a pretty much isolated exhaust system, and not directly to the engine, a stronger support may not do any harm.

My initial concern was that even though the support is attached to an isolated exhaust, if it was quite strong, it might impart more vibration from engine to that pipe and/or not allow the metal to expand and contract during heat cycling.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: ABA 2.0 Swap; Cat Support Questions. PICS Reply with quote

That’s good thinking of course. Are you just trying to stop vibrating or give it some support? John
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: ABA 2.0 Swap; Cat Support Questions. PICS Reply with quote

Neil, cracking exhausts, as you know, were one of the re-occurring issues with the inline engine conversions. When I built my conversion, I did a lot of research, and the question that I forget is where did they generally crack? I don't remember it being the cat in any case, but my memory is really not what it was. So, I may be forgetting. But it seems like the focus of your support is to protect the cat from being cracked,which is a noble cause. But IIRC, the exhaust pipes were cracking somewhere along the short distance between the header and the cat. So, if all that was true (and it has been 10 years since I did mine, so I may me just remembering poorly) then your brace, if strong enough, cuts the effective length of the part that normally breaks( the pipe between the header and the cat) in half. The problem was the rigidity; and the engine vibration(in a longitudinal axis), and your heavy exhaust(cat and muffler) on an axis perpendicular to the source of the vibration. IIRC, the problem was minimized by adding flexibility(adding a braided flexible coupling to the pipe between the cat and the header. Since what you are doing is making it more rigid, and more prone to cracking. But maybe more prone to cracking on the pipe where it is cheap to repair.
So, when I was doing my conversion, I thought about exhausts. On a conventional front engine, rear exhaust, inline engine, you almost never hear of an exhaust cracking. Vibration along a longitudinal axis, flexible mounted exhaust. Throw the motor in sidewise, and you get cracks. Back in the day all sorts of things were tried, but the braided flex joint became the solution of choice, possibly due to low cost and least amount of fitment hassle.
So, on the conversions, and the diesel Vanagons, and even the waterboxers, we have the same issue. Longitudinal engine vibration, heavy exhaust perpendicular to that. I had my waterboxer exhaust welded a couple times, as have others.
The solution to me was clear, to run the exhaust forward, to the center of the van, and the return it to the rear. Long enough to spread the forces along a longer moment arm, and hopefully prevent cracking. So far, so good.
However, do I KNOW what I am talking about, engineering wise? No! But it makes sense to me, and it has been borne out in my one example. YMMV, and Good Luck!
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: ABA 2.0 Swap; Cat Support Questions. PICS Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
.... Are you just trying to stop vibrating or give it some support? John

Stop it from vibrating. IF that's even happening.

That pre cat pipe feels very well supported.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: ABA 2.0 Swap; Cat Support Questions. PICS Reply with quote

Tbob wrote:
..... But it seems like the focus of your support is to protect the cat from being cracked,which is a noble cause. But IIRC, the exhaust pipes were cracking somewhere along the short distance between the header and the cat. So, if all that was true (and it has been 10 years since I did mine, so I may me just remembering poorly) then your brace, if strong enough, cuts the effective length of the part that normally breaks( the pipe between the header and the cat) in half. The problem was the rigidity; and the engine vibration(in a longitudinal axis), and your heavy exhaust(cat and muffler) on an axis perpendicular to the source of the vibration. IIRC, the problem was minimized by adding flexibility(adding a braided flexible coupling to the pipe between the cat and the header. Since what you are doing is making it more rigid, and more prone to cracking. But maybe more prone to cracking on the pipe where it is cheap to repair.
So, when I was doing my conversion, I thought about exhausts. On a conventional front engine, rear exhaust, inline engine, you almost never hear of an exhaust cracking. Vibration along a longitudinal axis, flexible mounted exhaust. Throw the motor in sidewise, and you get cracks. Back in the day all sorts of things were tried, but the braided flex joint became the solution of choice, possibly due to low cost and least amount of fitment hassle.
So, on the conversions, and the diesel Vanagons, and even the waterboxers, we have the same issue. Longitudinal engine vibration, heavy exhaust perpendicular to that. I had my waterboxer exhaust welded a couple times, as have others.
The solution to me was clear, to run the exhaust forward, to the center of the van, and the return it to the rear. Long enough to spread the forces along a longer moment arm, and hopefully prevent cracking. So far, so good.

Hey Tbob.

Yes for sure. I knew of the cracking issues. And it seems any engine swap can be prone to them. As you may be inferring, the South African exhaust system is a great solution.

If the support I added makes the exhaust more rigid, I'd like to avoid that. But since I built the exhaust quite similar to the diesel version, the exhaust system should "float" with the engine. So, an added support shouldn't be an issue. ..... but I'm guessing.

My practical experience with exhausts is limited to my first and only swap. A 15º ABA. I built at least 3 different exhaust designs for it. The worst failures were the cat outlet breaking off and eventual premature cracking at the muffler inlet but those failures happened when the cat was mounted like it is in the WBX and more importantly, one arm off the driver side of engine supported the cat, and one arm off passenger side of engine supported the heavy 2.1 muffler. (see below) Moving the cat closer to the manifold, inline with the body, solved the cat failure issue but the premature cracking at the muffler inlet, remained.

Of note, compared to the 50º, the 15º "upright" ABA muffler support arms off the engine cantilever further out to meet each end of the muffler.

Though a much different design than the 50º, what I think I learned from the 15º exhausts I built:

- if mounting the cat inline with body, don't' locate (cantilever) the pipe + cat too far away from the engine (toward driver side of van)

- don't use a heavy muffler. e.g. 2.1 WBX

- if cat is mounted a la the WBX in a L/R configuration, consider adding a 3rd support to the cat.

- Don't mount the muffler too rigidly. Originally, I built "diesel Vanagon" exhaust supports using 2 Bosal mounts at driver side of engine, 1 Bosal mount at passenger side. Then, I built another set of driver side "diesel Vanagon" brackets to incorporate 2 Bosal mounts at the passenger side of the engine. Though it happened over many miles, the bracket for the added 4th mount broke.

- position and length of the braided flex joint is important.

If the braided flex joint is the sacrificial part, and fails in a reasonable amount of miles, great. This current 50º ABA exhaust in question only has the Mk2 flex joint at manifold outlet. It does not have a braided flex joint. I've read of other "crack free" VW gas I4 exhaust designs using only that part as the flex joint. So in this version, I've tried to reduce exhaust weight, keep pipe short and "tight" to engine and follow the diesel example as best I could.

Along with your comments, in no way am I some kind of engineer! I failed physics and algebra! (they were a "snore". Thank goodness for music classes). But I find this stuff quite interesting and really want to make a "trouble free" exhaust.

Neil.

15º ABA. A short lived exhaust design! Muffler and cat were each supported with only 1 arm off engine

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: ABA 2.0 Swap; Cat Support Questions. PICS Reply with quote

Neil, in contrast I have 25k kms on my OEM TiiCo header. I had it high temp powdercoated last year.

It Only has the braided flex before the cat, the rest of the exhaust supported by FAS bracket setup at the start and end of the 1.9l muffler.

I have no cracks or issues so far .... I hope it stays that way !

My understanding in my case was that the earlier engines were running lean and were not cracking near the cat, but near the exhaust manifold outlet area. My hope was that the newer ECU would help alleviate some of the heat buildup and perhaps not affect the header like the earlier ones.

When 1.8t time comes I think I'll use a similar layout when a header gets built. I see most 1.8t builds similar in design.

BTW, thanks for taking the time on all your documentation and R&D during your processes, they are quite informative and thought provoking ...
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: ABA 2.0 Swap; Cat Support Questions. PICS Reply with quote

Neil, I think that the idea of keeping the exhaust light and centering the weight around the vibration center as much as possible is on the right track. That big muffler back there most likely sets up some sort of harmonic that cracks it at the weakest spot. I would think, based on your experience, that mounting it more rigidly to the engine only would be part of the solution. If that is the case, would a flex joint be counterproductive. And, does the diesel vibrate as much as the ABA? I know my 3B vibrates enough to make going over 55-60 a chore. If the diesel didn't vibrate as much, then all the factory engineering that we are attempting to duplicate may be for naught.
So, in thinking about it(and when I think it usually hurts my wallet!), if I was to follow the diesel vanagon type of exhaust, I would: seriously rigidly mount the lightweight muffler/cat as close to the centerline of the vibration source, and mount only to the vibratory source and not to the body or engine bar or anywhere that isn't rubber mounted with the engine) use a flex joint inline before the cat(although alternatively, close to the cat before the 90 into the cat would most likely work.
What I think I would be trying to achieve is a decoupling of the moment arm of the muffler /cat from the flex of the exhaust pipe/toilet bowl movement. Will it work? Don't know! I'm not an engineer, I just play one!
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: ABA 2.0 Swap; Cat Support Questions. PICS Reply with quote

metropoj wrote:
Neil, in contrast I have 25k kms on my OEM TiiCo header. I had it high temp powdercoated last year.

It Only has the braided flex before the cat, the rest of the exhaust supported by FAS bracket setup at the start and end of the 1.9l muffler.

I have no cracks or issues so far .... I hope it stays that way !

My understanding in my case was that the earlier engines were running lean and were not cracking near the cat, but near the exhaust manifold outlet area. My hope was that the newer ECU would help alleviate some of the heat buildup and perhaps not affect the header like the earlier ones.

When 1.8t time comes I think I'll use a similar layout when a header gets built. I see most 1.8t builds similar in design.

BTW, thanks for taking the time on all your documentation and R&D during your processes, they are quite informative and thought provoking ...

You're welcome John.

That's a good point about the Tiico ECU and previous lean run issue.

Thanks for that user input. I too have the 1.9 muffler on this 50º ABA. It is significantly lighter than the 2.1 muffler.

The Mk2 toilet bowl definitely "flexes". If I lift up on the downpipe, I can feel a slight, and presumably normal movement between the manifold and toilet bowl.

The irony is that under load, I think there's a slight leak at the toilet bowl. The U clips are old and I did not replace the gasket as it looked ok.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: ABA 2.0 Swap; Cat Support Questions. PICS Reply with quote

Tbob wrote:
Neil, I think that the idea of keeping the exhaust light and centering the weight around the vibration center as much as possible is on the right track. That big muffler back there most likely sets up some sort of harmonic that cracks it at the weakest spot. I would think, based on your experience, that mounting it more rigidly to the engine only would be part of the solution. If that is the case, would a flex joint be counterproductive. And, does the diesel vibrate as much as the ABA? I know my 3B vibrates enough to make going over 55-60 a chore. If the diesel didn't vibrate as much, then all the factory engineering that we are attempting to duplicate may be for naught.
So, in thinking about it(and when I think it usually hurts my wallet!), if I was to follow the diesel vanagon type of exhaust, I would: seriously rigidly mount the lightweight muffler/cat as close to the centerline of the vibration source, and mount only to the vibratory source and not to the body or engine bar or anywhere that isn't rubber mounted with the engine) use a flex joint inline before the cat(although alternatively, close to the cat before the 90 into the cat would most likely work.
What I think I would be trying to achieve is a decoupling of the moment arm of the muffler /cat from the flex of the exhaust pipe/toilet bowl movement. Will it work? Don't know! I'm not an engineer, I just play one!

I think one role of the flex joint is to allow for thermal expansion. So, I'd use one regardless of how the exhaust is hung. It occurs to me now that the 1.6 NA diesel exhaust may run cooler than the gas I4 exhaust. That might explain the lack of flex joint in the pipe on that diesel.

The diesel surely vibrates but for sure; I have no real idea if it vibrates more or less at certain RPM than the gas inline.

The exhaust is isolated from the engine.

I'll leave that support on for now. If it fails early, acting as the "canary in the coal mine", from a testing standpoint that could be helpful.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA 2.0 Swap; Cat Support Questions. PICS Reply with quote

My plan was to add a flex joint as soon as the down pipe aligns with the carrier bar and the add cat as soon as I clear engine mount then pipe out the back. So my only mount would be the drivers side engine mount with a custom made brace. That is why I was asking about adding a hanger or something somewhere else. I just think that is too much horizontal distance and it won't really support the cat.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA 2.0 Swap; Cat Support Questions. PICS Reply with quote

My plan was to add a flex joint as soon as the down pipe aligns with the carrier bar and the add cat as soon as I clear engine mount then pipe out the back. So my only mount would be the drivers side engine mount with a custom made brace. That is why I was asking about adding a hanger or something somewhere else. I just think that is too much horizontal distance and it won't really support the cat. So where Vanagon Nut put a rod, I would need to rely on a good brace.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: ABA 2.0 Swap; Cat Support Questions. PICS Reply with quote

Sorry I cross posted by accident.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: