Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear torsion bar rust, how much is too much?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Rear torsion bar rust, how much is too much? Reply with quote

In a recent post a member had a rusty rear torsion bar which he treated with a phosphoric acid product. My question: is a rusty bar suitable for reuse? or does the pitting from the rust render the bar unsuitable for reuse? When I replaced my rear torsion arm bushings a few years back I noticed a small area of paint failure and the accompanying rust on one of the bars and have wondered since if it might lead to a fatigue failure?
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion bar rust, how much is too much? Reply with quote

I wouldn’t think surface rust would cause fatigue failure. If it’s gone deeper then you might have a problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion bar rust, how much is too much? Reply with quote

This would be a great question for a metallurgist.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion bar rust, how much is too much? Reply with quote

A pit will eventually propagate a crack, how long that will take is a mystery, but when it happens it'll be sudden and possibly catastrophic.

You could grind and sand the pits so they are smooth depressions, remove the sharp corners that are the stress risers and the load is distributed evenly, no cracks (unless one has already started from years of action).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion bar rust, how much is too much? Reply with quote

Without seeing any pictures of the problem area, I would offer this with a grain of salt...

Prepare the pitted area for welding; lay down a bead or two of weld. Build this area back up with steel.

I would say the same wire feed setup one would use for sheet metal work would be appropriate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion bar rust, how much is too much? Reply with quote

I'm no metalurgist, but I would be way more wary of a torsion bar that had welding done to it than I would one that had a little surface rust or some gentle grinding (as described above) to get rid of the rust.

I just know that the heat does some funky stuff (that I don't fully understand how it works) to the atomic structure of the metal, and being a type of spring, those things were forged (?) in a special way.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion bar rust, how much is too much? Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I'm no metalurgist, but I would be way more wary of a torsion bar that had welding done to it than I would one that had a little surface rust or some gentle grinding (as described above) to get rid of the rust.

I just know that the heat does some funky stuff (that I don't fully understand how it works) to the atomic structure of the metal, and being a type of spring, those things were forged (?) in a special way.

Pretty much guaranteed that welding on the bar would cause it to break in short order. Crying or Very sad
Just us buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion bar rust, how much is too much? Reply with quote

I know this ain't your first rodeo but my split Bentley says to make sure there are no signs off rust; replace if necessary. Bay Bentley just says to paint any scratches/chips to protect against corrosion.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion bar rust, how much is too much? Reply with quote

Yeah, welding (or heat of any kind) is a giant no no.

Think of it like an aircraft propeller, they flex constantly and a scratch or gouge will result in blade loss if left alone. The rule for aviation is dress an area 10X the depth of the divot so it tapers gradually to the lowest point.

For example: http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=101883
You can skip the part about restoring aerodynamic shape, but the rest still applies to any forged metal part under stress and flex.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion bar rust, how much is too much? Reply with quote

I’m sorry! I was thinking of the torsion trailing arm. You guys are referring to the actual spring steel torsion rods?

If so, then absolutely no welding on spring steel at this level.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion bar rust, how much is too much? Reply with quote

I would guess that 99% of the torsion bars have some rust on them.
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion bar rust, how much is too much? Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
I wouldn’t think surface rust would cause fatigue failure. If it’s gone deeper then you might have a problem.

In my work life, I test metallic materials for the fatigue and tensile properties, anything from a small test coupon to tests on structures such as landing gear components.

Surface rust shouldn't have any effect on the bar but, as suggested, pitting will be a potential source for fatigue failure.

best suggestion would be to rub the rust off and give it a good coat of paint
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion bar rust, how much is too much? Reply with quote

MorkC68 wrote:
TomWesty wrote:

In my work life, I test metallic materials for the fatigue and tensile properties, anything from a small test coupon to tests on structures such as landing gear components.

Surface rust shouldn't have any effect on the bar but, as suggested, pitting will be a potential source for fatigue failure.

best suggestion would be to rub the rust off and give it a good coat of paint

X2 I would remove the rust with a rag soaked in White Vinegar over night (and some plastic wrap to keep the vinegar there) or paint it with rust inverter and when it turns black paint it with a rust preventive paint. I wouldn't remove any good metal as that will make that area thinner (like a pull bar) and be the fracture area.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion bar rust, how much is too much? Reply with quote

I think I’m confused about which parts are being discussed. I thought originally it was the torsion tube then I thought it was the trailing arm; which was why I made my comment. Then I was thinking we were talking about the stack of bars that make up the torsion assembly.

Somebody help me out please and explain exactly which part are we talking about. Is it the part that is internal and is normally saturated in grease, or is this part of an assembly that is external and usually has some sort of body coating and paint?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion bar rust, how much is too much? Reply with quote

It’s a Bay rear torsion bar which is a solid rod with two splined ends, no stack of leaves like the front
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion bar rust, how much is too much? Reply with quote

my take is this:

Quote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion bar rust, how much is too much? Reply with quote

Thanks. That’s an area I’ve never ventured.

If the carbon or other non-ferrous make up is higher than what I’d call mild or structural steel (very loose idea here) than I’d not weld on anything like that unless it follows an approved process with normalizing.

I thought for a bit we were talking about external parts that see welding as part of their assembly process. Clearly, we are not. Thank you for the clarification.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion bar rust, how much is too much? Reply with quote

Mine looked like this...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I removed the rust with a wire wheel then painted it with Tremclad paint. That was over ten years ago and many off-road camping trips.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion bar rust, how much is too much? Reply with quote

Well there you go, real life beta testing!

But is there a small crack starting that might let go one day?, who knows?, and how long until it does?
Other than going full NDT on one of yours with all the tools available to see if there's anything starting we'll likely never know. VW said to keep them painted and avoid nicks, how many thousands of hours in a test rig did it take for them to get one to actually snap? Front leaves break regularly, but I've never seen a rear bar broken myself that I can recall.

Either way I'll still follow the recommended protocol, non rusty bars are easy to find if one is too messed up to trust. If I decide to run one that's not up to par and it defys the odds and actually breaks it'll be a major pain in the a** that I could have avoided by just installing a clean one.

Слава Україні!
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear torsion bar rust, how much is too much? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Well there you go, real life beta testing!

But is there a small crack starting that might let go one day?, who knows?, and how long until it does?
Other than going full NDT on one of yours with all the tools available to see if there's anything starting we'll likely never know. VW said to keep them painted and avoid nicks, how many thousands of hours in a test rig did it take for them to get one to actually snap? Front leaves break regularly, but I've never seen a rear bar broken myself that I can recall.

Either way I'll still follow the recommended protocol, non rusty bars are easy to find if one is too messed up to trust. If I decide to run one that's not up to par and it defys the odds and actually breaks it'll be a major pain in the a** that I could have avoided by just installing a clean one.

If I had rust-pitted rear torsion bars, I would probably smooth the exterior surface down with my patented insane overuse of a Dremel cutting wheel followed by a desperate effort to sand it smooth smooth smooth, followed by several coats of plastic black paint (suitable for plastic) so that the bar can flex without fracturing or peeling the paint off as would happen with a typical spray can paint. But I have never had a rust-pitted torsion bar . . .
Colin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: