Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Junk Piles
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Junk Piles Reply with quote

How do you keep your junk pile? Confused

Score me this steel frame from a friend's new house. Figured it would be a great base for what I've been wanting to do for the longest time... a better and neater storage place for my junk pile which was sitting in, well, a pile, next to the Garaj Mahal and covered up with the cheap bamboo style cover. Here's how it worked out. Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Still have to put some shelves in it and finish clearing the pile in the back forty. Anxious
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Junk Piles Reply with quote

That looks like what most folks around here build for trash & recycle bins.
Not Bear proof, but it would keep the Racoons & Skunks out....

My "Good" Rolling Eyes Junk gets stored inside:

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon

Last edited by crukab on Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Junk Piles Reply with quote

I’m at the age where I try not to own any junk or take on any new junk... it’s all about self control 😁
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Junk Piles Reply with quote

Here's what it looked like way back when I first build the deck.

While the "cover" looks good in that picture, this was quite a few years ago and it just didn't look that happy any more. Rolling Eyes

FWIW, I also have been thinning out the pile as of late. Cool
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Junk Piles Reply with quote

Depending on the 'quality' of your neighborhood, the new container may or may not be the 'best' solution. The bamboo curtain says "I'm covering up worthless junk and garbage that I'm embarrassed about the neighbors seeing" ....the locked, metal and wood enclosure says "I'm protecting some valuable stuff that I don't want to have damaged by the weather, or possibly stolen." Nice work, though!!
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Junk Piles Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:
Depending on the 'quality' of your neighborhood, the new container may or may not be the 'best' solution. The bamboo curtain says "I'm covering up worthless junk and garbage that I'm embarrassed about the neighbors seeing" ....the locked, metal and wood enclosure says "I'm protecting some valuable stuff that I don't want to have damaged by the weather, or possibly stolen." Nice work, though!!

You can’t see it even with google earth since it all is in my back yard. Hell, the Garaj Mahal is behind the house! Razz

I spend most of my time in the garage and the back yard. It has to look good for me, not to mention access to my pile which was a pain having to remove the “curtain” to then dig through the pile. It’ll be better organized now. Cool
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Junk Piles Reply with quote

Nice Job! Good choice on raising it a bit above ground level as I see you did with the garage and deck too. Far too many such projects are built on grade around here and flood every spring.

I badly need to thin out and re-organize my junk pile too!
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Junk Piles Reply with quote

If it is organized inside a big cabinet, is it still a "junk pile?" Still, I like it, and need to do something similar.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Junk Piles Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
If it is organized inside a big cabinet, is it still a "junk pile?" Still, I like it, and need to do something similar.

Well, an organized pile is better than just a pile. And it’s also mostly junk still. Of all the motors I have in there, probably only 2 can be rebuilt. Most have case issues like over machined, pulled threads, and such. I keep them assembled until I need something off of them. Maybe some day I’ll take them apart and store the good parts then get rid of the true junk... maybe some day. Cool
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Junk Piles Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Nice Job! Good choice on raising it a bit above ground level as I see you did with the garage and deck too. Far too many such projects are built on grade around here and flood every spring.

Two things, the area is under the little awning of the garage so the dirt there has always stayed dry, and I kept most the pile on top of pallets. Wink
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Junk Piles Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
oprn wrote:

Two things, the area is under the little awning of the garage so the dirt there has always stayed dry, and I kept most the pile on top of pallets. Wink

Wouldn't work here, most of our rain arrives sideways! Wink
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Junk Piles Reply with quote

How long until you out grow that box? Laughing
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Junk Piles Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
pyrOman wrote:
oprn wrote:

Wouldn't work here, most of our rain arrives sideways! Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dwayne1m wrote:
How long until you out grow that box? Laughing

Again, I'm thinning out as of late! Right now getting things just a bit more organized in my mess. Anxious

More room for "wall art". Razz

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Junk Piles Reply with quote

I like your school desk- right there. When I do stuff like that my wife usually asks something like, "Why does this have to be here?" I (closely) reply, "Cause that's it's place- it belongs there." Smile

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Junk Piles Reply with quote

Looks great Pyro! What if you need the rims?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Junk Piles Reply with quote

Wow super nice and tidy pyrOman but I'm 2x on what anthracitedub said. Although I need to learn to just say no to good deal junk and free junk.

anthracitedub wrote:
I’m at the age where I try not to own any junk or take on any new junk... it’s all about self control 😁

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: