Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Upper Control Arm Bushing - Do I need to cut them?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Syncro Upper Control Arm Bushing - Do I need to cut them? Reply with quote

Turns out I need to replace the bushing on my 330K miles van...not really a surprise.

I plan to get a press from Harbor Freight this week to help with the job, but I am not sure how to push them out as it seems like they would come from the inside of the arm, toward the outside. I am having challenges visualizing how that would work with the press.

Do I need to first cut off the outside section?

Thanks
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Upper Control Arm Bushing - Do I need to cut them? Reply with quote

No, they just press out. Getting a press is only half the deal, you will also want an assortment of metal bits for different press setups (what you need will depend on job) plan on going to a metal scrap yard to buy chunks of steel as needed.

For the UCA bushings; they need to be pressed out using a long bar that will fit through the bushing and reach the other side. I used the UCA bolt and it worked fine, but as always YMMV.

I did a complete bushing replacement on my '90 Syncro last winter, here's a link to that thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=689657&start=20

UCA removal is about halfway down the page.

Be careful!
Also, remember the UCA is the same for both sides, but flipped. Take note of orientation.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.

Last edited by MsTaboo on Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Upper Control Arm Bushing - Do I need to cut them? Reply with quote

Thanks - this is exactly what I needed to see...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Upper Control Arm Bushing - Do I need to cut them? Reply with quote

You're welcome.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Upper Control Arm Bushing - Do I need to cut them? Reply with quote

Well like usual it always looks easier on the Internet.

I got a 20 tons press and still could not get the bushing out. Everything was either bending or breaking. After 30 years, they were pretty much fused with the control arm. I ended up using a grinder to cut off the head of the bushing, then press out the middle metal round part, then a sawzall to take the outside of the bushing. Super fun job.

The press did come in handy to press in the new bushing.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Upper Control Arm Bushing - Do I need to cut them? Reply with quote

SyncroChrick wrote:
Well like usual it always looks easier on the Internet.

I got a 20 tons press and still could not get the bushing out. Everything was either bending or breaking. After 30 years, they were pretty much fused with the control arm. I ended up using a grinder to cut off the head of the bushing, then press out the middle metal round part, then a sawzall to take the outside of the bushing. Super fun job.

The press did come in handy to press in the new bushing.

...even Machine Shops curse when doing this job.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: