Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6v Emergency Flasher problems
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject: 6v Emergency Flasher problems Reply with quote

I'm trying to wrap up this portion of the project. I've gotten all the rest of the exterior lights working / bright / sealed so I've turned my attention to the last little bit and it's got me stumped.

The turn signals work perfectly. All lights on all corners come on and flash as expected. But the e-flashers are giving me fits. Initially, before I started working on the lights and wiring, all corners mostly flashed (sometimes they would, other times the dash indicator would come on and nothing would flash.

Now, after cleaning all the connectors and making sure the the flashers are grounded, nothing works when I pull the switch. The relay works if I supply power to the coil (pin 86) and all corners light up. But nothing happens if I pull the switch (or short all the 4 connectors together, which is what the switch does).

To add to the weirdness, the e-flasher works fine if I turn on the left turn signal when the switch is pulled out. If I turn on the right turn signal it flashes once then just kind of flickers.

I'm open to ideas on this one. I haven't finished cleaning up all of the connectors under the dash or in the fuse block, so that's all suspect (but I'm not seeing how it would cause this).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yennek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: 6v Emergency Flasher problems Reply with quote

What happens when you turn on the flasher switch and hit the brakes?

a) Nothing much, brake lights turn on - Check connection from 86 on the relay to the switch.
b) Everything lights up, brake lights and front turn signals - Check connection from S on the flasher to the switch.
c) Something else - uhh, report back, you may have more than one issue.

Assumptions: this a 63 bus, and you have no LEDs installed.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Emergency Flasher problems Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:

I'm open to ideas on this one. I haven't finished cleaning up all of the connectors under the dash or in the fuse block, so that's all suspect (but I'm not seeing how it would cause this).

A dirty/corroded connection can and will cause a voltage drop, that will cause all sorts of problems.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Emergency Flasher problems Reply with quote

Yennek wrote:
What happens when you turn on the flasher switch and hit the brakes?

a) Nothing much, brake lights turn on - Check connection from 86 on the relay to the switch.
b) Everything lights up, brake lights and front turn signals - Check connection from S on the flasher to the switch.
c) Something else - uhh, report back, you may have more than one issue.

Assumptions: this a 63 bus, and you have no LEDs installed.

Your assumptions are correct. ‘63 bus, no LEDs.

When I have the key on, pull the switch and hit the brakes, everything comes on. I took a quick look this afternoon and I’m a bit puzzled. Flasher labels don’t match the wiring diagram and neither do the wire colors. It worked (mostly.. just the front right didn’t flash) previously, so I’m pretty sure it was all connected properly. I haven’t checked for continuity in al the wires nor have I cleaned up all the connections and made sure the flasher is well grounded, but that’s on the list.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Emergency Flasher problems Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:

A dirty/corroded connection can and will cause a voltage drop, that will cause all sorts of problems.

For sure. Some of theses connections are nasty. I have to pick up a paper respirator before I start wire wheeling all the connections at the fuse block. Just the few on the headlight switch and e-flasher switch had me coughing up black junk.

Have you ever pulled an e-flasher switch apart? It was a bit weird before all of this. Twisting it a bit would affect what was working. It looks like a few tabs are all that hold it together, but having a preview of the guts would be helpful.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Emergency Flasher problems Reply with quote

You can just use a bit of fine sandpaper to clean up the male terminals and skip stirring up so much crud. Fuse box and female connectors can be cleaned with vinegar. Both ways will probably remove much less metal.

The relay you have is not quite the same as we are using.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8553750&highlight=#8553750

Have not taken an E-flasher switch apart. Did recently on a wiper switch, should be similar. Just needed to carefully bend open to tabs on the body cover of the switch and pull the cover off.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Emergency Flasher problems Reply with quote

Switch is super simple. Bend the 4 tabs out instead of trying to bend them up. They were super tight to the housing so that was the only way I could get them out of the way.

Some contact cleaner to remove the old crusty grease and some 600 grit sandpaper to clean up all the contacts followed by a few globs of dielectric grease and it’s back together. No change to the behavior which was not surprising.

On to the next suspect.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 6v Emergency Flasher problems Reply with quote

Would have been good to solder the inner rivet connections. Did the DPO solder the outer ones?
Yennek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 6v Emergency Flasher problems Reply with quote

That relay looks like a 2 prong thermal type. Typically doesn't require the case to be grounded. I used the 12v version for a number of years. It looks like you are possibly short one wire on it. The +15 is equivalent to the + terminal on the schematic. The other S54 terminal is equivalent to the S terminal. There is no need for a K or ground. The blue wire to the dash light gets connected to the S54(which appears to be present. I also see the black/white/green from the S54 to the turn signal switch. Stock, the wire to the hazard switch connects there too. It might have gotten moved somewhere else though. In the upper corner of your photo, I see a wire that appears disconnected, that is at least black/white, and maybe green. If that is the wire going to the hazard switch, it would explain your symptoms.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 6v Emergency Flasher problems Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Would have been good to solder the inner rivet connections. Did the DPO solder the outer ones?

Inner rivets did get soldered. Figured it couldn't hurt while I was in there. The outer ones were done by the DCO when he thought he wouldn't be opening it up.. not PO... lol
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 6v Emergency Flasher problems Reply with quote

Yennek wrote:
That relay looks like a 2 prong thermal type. Typically doesn't require the case to be grounded. I used the 12v version for a number of years. It looks like you are possibly short one wire on it. The +15 is equivalent to the + terminal on the schematic. The other S54 terminal is equivalent to the S terminal. There is no need for a K or ground. The blue wire to the dash light gets connected to the S54(which appears to be present. I also see the black/white/green from the S54 to the turn signal switch. Stock, the wire to the hazard switch connects there too. It might have gotten moved somewhere else though. In the upper corner of your photo, I see a wire that appears disconnected, that is at least black/white, and maybe green. If that is the wire going to the hazard switch, it would explain your symptoms.

For sure the case doesn't need to be grounded... it was hanging free when I bought the bus. I had to narrow the tab on top to get it to fit in the mounting hole.

Next time I'm working on it, I'll check continuity between the black/white/green on the flasher and the switch to make sure it's the same one. I'm hoping that the one from the switch has just hidden itself behind something. The wire you see with with the exposed conductors is a black/white going into one of those funky 3-way connectors.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Emergency Flasher problems Reply with quote

And just a bit more funky-ness. I've been looking through multiple versions of the wiring diagrams, just in case there was one that looked like my setup. No luck so far... but I did notice that the wiring to my switch doesn't match any of the diagrams I've looks at so far. It's got a black/white instead of black/yellow.

And I thought I knew where the missing wire went. There was a 3-way connector on one of the lugs of the flasher that had nothing on it (so I removed it) and I had a disconnected black/white wire. I connected the loose wire to the 3-way connector with the other 2 black/white wires in one of the 3-way connectors (as shown in all the wiring diagram versions that I've looked at). I found an early shot of the rats nest under the dash and if you zoom in really closely, you can see it connected to the flasher. But the wire at the switch has bands of white and the wire at the 3-way has a spiral white stripe. Still, I think that's why it doesn't work and where that wire was supposed to go.

Even if it works, it doesn't make me feel much better about the state of the under-dash wiring and I think I need to trace out the rest of this to make sure there aren't any hidden hazards waiting for me to short them out...
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Emergency Flasher problems Reply with quote

Well, this is fun. Laughing

Spent 10 minutes out with the mess and found all sorts of cool stuff.

First, connecting the black/white striped wire to the S54 terminal brings the emergency flashers back to life. Yay!

But... the wiring is weird... in the three 3-way connectors and 2-way unions, I have confusion...

In the 3-ways
First connector I has black/yellow twisted with a black/white in one end. The other has only 1 black/white.

Second connector has black/green in one end, black/green and a black/white

Third has black/red in one end, black/red and black/pink in the other.

In the two unions, I have
First connector — black/yellow and black/yellow

Second connector — Black/violet and black/red

I’m pretty sure someone unhooked everything and sort of managed to get it working... sort of... I have convinced myself that the black/white wire is in fact black/yellow. Lighting makes all the difference.

Gonna have to spend some quality time with the wiring diagram, a multimeter and several beers... and profanity... lots and lots of profanity.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 6v Emergency Flasher problems Reply with quote

Download the wiring diagrams from the tech section and have them blown up and printed at you local print shop and start figuring out what is what. Might be wise to open the harness wrap in a few places to see the color of the wire where it has not been exposed to light and the outside world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 6v Emergency Flasher problems Reply with quote

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 6v Emergency Flasher problems Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
Download the wiring diagrams from the tech section and have them blown up and printed at you local print shop and start figuring out what is what. Might be wise to open the harness wrap in a few places to see the color of the wire where it has not been exposed to light and the outside world.

I'm becoming intimately familiar with the wiring diagrams. I just drag the iPad out to the garage instead of having a printed copy. I've got a friend whose wife owns a print shop. I may see if he can print up a durable copy for me. Are the ones in the Technical section the highest resolution versions available?
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 6v Emergency Flasher problems Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

That's the '65 which is similar to my '63, except for the 2-speed wipers... The colors in it seem to be closer to what I've got (might just be a colorization thing). Has anyone produced a really high res version of this? I was thinking of getting a copy printed in large format (like 24x36-ish) and a really clean copy would make that more appealing.

To fix this, I just need to take the time to disconnect most of these connections and start over. There are some connectors that will need to be replaced, but it should be pretty straight-forward. Just time consuming and awkward to access. Not the most fun job. Hence the beer and profanity. Laughing
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Emergency Flasher problems Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:

To fix this, I just need to take the time to disconnect most of these connections and start over. There are some connectors that will need to be replaced, but it should be pretty straight-forward. Just time consuming and awkward to access. Not the most fun job. Hence the beer and profanity. Laughing

Good time to pull the fuse box out for vinegar soak, soldering the internals, and spraying with a contact cleaner with silicon.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Emergency Flasher problems Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Good time to pull the fuse box out for vinegar soak, soldering the internals, and spraying with a contact cleaner with silicon.

Is there ever really a good time to pull the fuse block or just a less horrible time? Laughing

Yeah... I'll probably pull it in the near future. MajorWoody has a media blast cabinet loaded with glass bead. I'll see if I can get time on that to clean it up. I prefer a mechanical cleaning to a chemical clean.. no real rationale, just preference. Although a vinegar clean in this case would get into the little nooks and crannies to give the solder a better chance to flow between the pieces... hmmmmm...
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Emergency Flasher problems Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
Although a vinegar clean in this case would get into the little nooks and crannies to give the solder a better chance to flow between the pieces... hmmmmm...

Exactly, and as before a light acid will remove less material that does not need to be removed.

Plus if you are removing all the wires anyway it is a good time to do so.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: