Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

XHD Bilstein front shock install SOLVED
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: XHD Bilstein front shock install SOLVED Reply with quote

The front shocks come with a collar. Collar slides on shock and goes into the bump stop, it stops before the threads come out the top and Ive been told to shove it in farther, but before I do, so I need to take out an old collar or does that thing stay at the top of the bump stop?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by JDub113 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: XHD Bilstein front shock install Reply with quote

The collar stays and the spacer that came with the shock is not used.
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: XHD Bilstein front shock install Reply with quote

GW just emailed me this morning. The metal sleeve in the bump stop stays there AND is sandwiched between the new collar and upper collar. I remember trying to shove the new collar in the bump stop and it didn’t want to go though... guess I’ll try forcing it somehow.
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: XHD Bilstein front shock install Reply with quote

I think that as you tighten the top nut, it will force everything where it needs to be. Be sure you have a #5 metric allen wrench to put in the top of the shock thread to keep it from spinning while you tighten it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: XHD Bilstein front shock install Reply with quote

My experience was that the spacer prevented the rubber collar thing from dropping down enough for the shock threads to poke thgrough. I didn't use them.
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: XHD Bilstein front shock install Reply with quote

That was my experience also for 3 months as GW said I didn’t need them, then said I did need them when I reached out again about it. im thinking I can turn the shock upside down over a deep socket and hit the bottom with a mallet to get the collar to seat, but we will see what GW says about the install being difficult. Maybe that’s how they install them there too.
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: XHD Bilstein front shock install Reply with quote

GW says it’s a tough fit and yes you have to tap it in basically.
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: XHD Bilstein front shock install SOLVED Reply with quote

Let us know how you do.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: XHD Bilstein front shock install SOLVED Reply with quote

GW wouldn’t know if someone made a video for them to watch...

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: XHD Bilstein front shock install SOLVED Reply with quote

Since my van is still on stands while I go through it, I removed the front Bilsteins I just installed 2 weeks ago and had a closer look. Turns out with very little extra effort, one can push the boot down a bit, and that bushing will pop into the recess under the top of the boot assembly. When the top nut is tight, the shock threads are just at the top of the nut. Thanks for asking this. It got me out there to make it right. That bushing effectively allows more travel to the shock, reducing the chance that it will over extend and break if the suspension unloads suddenly. I'm glad I saved 'em!
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: XHD Bilstein front shock install SOLVED Reply with quote

Sweet! I’m glad it’s helping others. My shocks seemed to have leaked some fluid already, but from reading, a little leakage is normal. I didn’t see anything too crazy. I did go “2 wheeling” and was flexing it all pretty hard. I’ll just keep an eye on it.
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: XHD Bilstein front shock install SOLVED Reply with quote

I got both shocks in with the collars. It wasn’t too hard.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: