Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subhatch prop rod - brand new
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack-Fatboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Subhatch prop rod - brand new Reply with quote

Hello There,

This is just the prototype of brand new subhatch prop rod. Please take a look on pics and ... say what you think?! Thanks a lot.

I used almost the right 13mm x 1,5mm aluminium tube.

The next two earlier types will be ready soon. I just need the rectangular plates to finish them. The different wires eyelets are ready.

If there is someone who wants the new prop rod please email me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cheers,
Jacek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dewayne Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Subhatch prop rod - brand new Reply with quote

Looks great! Glad to see this as I need one!

Drive 'em if ya got 'em, and don't brag if you didn't do the work yourself...

'64 SO34
'60 SO23
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfsburg Classics
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Subhatch prop rod - brand new Reply with quote

Jacek.

Looking good,there's a few people looking for these.
Are you doing the other version that has the rectangle sheet mounting plate?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Subhatch prop rod - brand new Reply with quote

Yes, I need one for a '61.
Jack-Fatboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Subhatch prop rod - brand new Reply with quote

Wolfsburg Classics wrote:
Jacek.

Looking good,there's a few people looking for these.
Are you doing the other version that has the rectangle sheet mounting plate?

Thanks Tony and you Guys for good words Smile

Sure I want to do all version with rectangular plate with sharp and rounded edges.

Can you help me guys with investigation over the systems of the putting the rod on the hatch. Can you also tell me the year and model eventually?!

I know that there were the leather strap and the clip system but maybe there were some more?! All the way isn't difficult to do and maybe I can help with it to.

I also looking for the support pin?!

I think some people want to have all parts so ... please let me know if you have something. Maybe some good drawings helps or the sample.

Cheers,
Jacek
Jack-Fatboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Subhatch prop rod - brand new Reply with quote

Hello All,

This is what I found - the clip to close the prop rod on the hatch. It looks the same like original one used in SO34.

There are 3 pieces and the cap isn't need. The man end is screwed to the rod and the woman to the board on hatch.

Cheers,
Jacek
Jack-Fatboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Subhatch prop rod - brand new Reply with quote

There are the pics found in TS gallery.

This one shows the clip system where you can button up the rod to the hatch -

This is the secend one -

I need the information about he strap used to hang the prop rod. Is there anybody who can help? What was it? The plastic or leather strap?! Maybe something different?

Thanks in advance for help.

Cheers,
Jacek
Dewayne Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Subhatch prop rod - brand new Reply with quote

Jacek,

I wish I could help you, but I'm missing all those parts on my SO23. I will be picking up an SO34 this weekend and will take ics of what is on it, if that helps..

Drive 'em if ya got 'em, and don't brag if you didn't do the work yourself...

'64 SO34
'60 SO23
Jack-Fatboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Subhatch prop rod - brand new Reply with quote

Dewayne,

Thanks for your help. Let's try with it. I think I have something but I still looking for the information.

Cheers,
Jacek
Jack-Fatboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Subhatch prop rod - brand new Reply with quote

OK now everything is clear for me. I can't put the pics here right now but I will try to do it soon. I think I will do it when the new prop rods are ready. I think it will be next week.

Thanks a lot.

Jacek
Jack-Fatboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Subhatch prop rod - brand new Reply with quote

Guys I need your help.

1. I have an original prop rod and it is 42,5 cm long tube.

The holes are 9,5mm and they are located:

from the bottom of the tube - 2,5cm - 11,5cm - 12,3cm - 12,3cm - 3,9 cm eyelet

2. Tube is 42,6cm long.

I have found also few different prop rod dimensions like that:

from the bottom of the tube - 1cm - 12,7cm - 12,7cm - 12,7cm - 3,5cm

3. and ... 42,9cm long

from the bottom of the tube - 2,5cm - 12,3cm - 12,3cm - 12,3cm - 3,5cm

I want to drill the holes in tubes to make the prop rods now. What do you think? Is there any dependence between the year and holes location?!

Any idea?!

I think that I will do the last one holes dimension. It looks universal.

Please let me know what you are thinking or maybe you can put here the dimension of your original prop rods. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Jacek
Jack-Fatboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Subhatch prop rod - brand new Reply with quote

Hello

I've just recived the metal plates needed to finish an early prop rods Smile All works fine and I can back to the work on the prop rods. Please take a look on pics.

I will also paint the ends with eyelets using the paint from really good and original looking pattern.

I think you will see the rods really soon becuase I have all I need now.

Cheers,
Jacek
Jack-Fatboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Subhatch prop rod - brand new Reply with quote

Question -

Who knows the size of the original screws to connect the rod with hatch?! Or maybe someone of you guys can measure it?!

Thanks in advance for your help.
Jacek
Wolfsburg Classics
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Subhatch prop rod - brand new Reply with quote

Jacek.

I am pretty sure they are 3mm screws and are the same as used to hold the middle bungee clamps.

Tony.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Subhatch prop rod - brand new Reply with quote

Nice on the prop rods! Sometimes the og one is broken. Sad

Jack-Fatboy wrote:
There are the pics found in TS gallery.

This is the secend one -

I need the information about he strap used to hang the prop rod. Is there anybody who can help? What was it? The plastic or leather strap?! Maybe something different?

Thanks in advance for help.

Cheers,
Jacek

Greg has repro westy leather straps sets for sale:

SO-23 set: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2088392

pre-SO-23 set: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2222558

Since the leather straps would be the same age, replacing one strap still leaves you with the other straps broken or of extreme age, dry and cracked. Sometimes a couple straps are still hanging on. With a bit of use, they also break. Sad So when people have asked for a partial set, I've recommended they buy the whole set. The prop rod leather strap in the 56 westy was functional when we got the bus, but later it broke.

This is an original leather curtain strap in my 61 westy, but I doubt it will last with much use:
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Subhatch prop rod - brand new Reply with quote

You only need one strap for the prop rods. My 62 had a leather one that was broke so I made another one.

I'll add that I wish my 62 had come with the straps rather than the bungee cords to hold the curtains. Anyone who has a westy and pop outs knows that the bungees don't keep the curtains in the bus very well.

Those rods look great. Mine looks to have been a two piece rod that im guessing was done by a previous owner.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.

Last edited by crofty on Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Jack-Fatboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Subhatch prop rod - brand new Reply with quote

Hello ALL

I have one more question - can someone check the wire diameter on metal plate?! I just need to be 200% sure if I made the good one.

I have two answers and they are the same but I wish to ask one more owner of original prop rod !!! Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks for a good comment about my prop rods . It is nice. Greg's straps look really good Clara Smile I like them. I can think to make some deal with Greg to have them in stock. I will contact with him later.

Sean thanks a lot for good words to. You should think to change your prop rod in the future Smile Now you can think about it.

One more pic:

Cheers,
Jacek
vtomike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Subhatch prop rod - brand new Reply with quote

I will take a look at mine and get measurements.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johny__utah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Subhatch prop rod - brand new Reply with quote

hello and great work! please put me down for a prop-rod. 1961.
thank you!
email [email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jack-Fatboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Subhatch prop rod - brand new Reply with quote

Hi There

I need to Make some detailing and painting. The subhatch prop rods almost done Very Happy

Cheers
Jacek
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: