Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spring Style Hose Clamps
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Spring Style Hose Clamps Reply with quote

I have heard for years that the spring style hose clamps are superior to the screw clamp style clamps because the exert a constant force through various heat/cool cycles and thus are less prone to loosening seeping.

I have stated here through the years that while I understand the science of the clamp I fail to trust them.

I have through a half Century of twisting wrenches found broken spring style clamps ...

AND

I like the feeling of gratification that comes from physically making sure they are tight.

I was working on a project over the weekend and went to remove a seeping hose and guess what?

Broken Spring clamp

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Style Hose Clamps Reply with quote

Yup, totally agree - everyone on here passionately hates screw clamps, but to me screw clamps = good and tight. I figure there are literally 500 things that are going to go wrong on my van before a brand-new screw clamp on a brand-new hose fails, so I use 'em everywhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Style Hose Clamps Reply with quote

My cars reside in the dry southwest... spring clamps are far less apt to suffer from corrosion down here. If any clamp is difficult to "unspring" with the special tool or pliers (i.e., it's become stiff), it gets replaced to prevent complete failure while in use.

I'm the opposite: I dislike screw clamps, but use them where/when necessary, and I absolutely abhor pinch clamps.

To each their own.🍻
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Style Hose Clamps Reply with quote

I think I am going to give some of these a try that McMaster-Carr, and I am sure other places, sells.
https://www.mcmaster.com/5462k51

They have several sizes and they are stainless steel.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Style Hose Clamps Reply with quote

I recently had the motor out of the syncro and replaced a few hoses and cleaned up/replaced a few pipes in the cooling system. I re-used a bunch of the spring clamps, and two of them let go as soon as the system pressurized. They appeared to have lost their tension after so many years of service. I replaced them with regular screw clamps.

Important to note that a good set of spring clamp pliers is a godsend when dealing with those buggers.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Style Hose Clamps Reply with quote

These clamps are little more spendy, but provide the constant-tension necessary for some applications, and unlike the OE spring clamps, will accommodate a range of diameters and can be re-tightened. They're also completely sleeved, so they won't chew up your hoses like a conventional worm-gear clamp. Available in stainless steel for longer life, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Style Hose Clamps Reply with quote

Depends on the style of screw clamp. Most folks go for the cheapest type that chew up the rubber hose.
From what I’ve seen, the hose will fail/need replacing before a constant tension clamp fails. And why reuse a hose clamp??
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Style Hose Clamps Reply with quote

Spring clamps are the spawn of the devil. If the hose swells slightly at the end (like, oh 99.999999% do), then even fully opening it may not get it off. Naturally it will be the one buried up high where you cant get any options. A quality screw clamp is the cure for these evil contrivances.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Style Hose Clamps Reply with quote

personally, i like the "constant tension, constant compression" spring clamps. but when i redid my 2.1, i used Wurth Zebras throughout because i couldn't source high quality spring clamps quickly. they have a raised flange outer edge and smooth gear band that doesn't cut rubber.

a story... i toured a major AM transmitter manufacturer's plant years ago and they were showing off a 1 million kilowatt water cooled transmitter destined for the United Arab Emirates. they had intalled hardware store variety 'cheese cutter' clamps on their silicone coolant hoses and i mentioned to the engineer giving the tour they may want to replace those. he looked at me with one of those "Who the F@ck are you?" looks and i could tell nothing registered. to this day, i envision this very expensive transmitter installed in the hot UAE with a million kW of power going thru it and a conductive coolant leak.... i have a hunch they've put in a service call on this.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Style Hose Clamps Reply with quote

So you are saying that a rusty, decades old rotten part shouldn't be trusted?
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Style Hose Clamps Reply with quote

I have both on my van. I used good condition spring clamps I got from a couple of parts vans if I had them. The other camps are decent marine grade screw clamps like the aforementioned McMaster clamps. The only ones that never seeped a little during the heat cycles and winter freezing were the spring clamps. Some of the screw ones did, nothing major. But, after a couple years of service on our roads, half highway half dirt, I mangled a couple of those screw clamps getting them off.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Style Hose Clamps Reply with quote

I prefer the spring type clamps over hose clams.
On fuel lines I use stainless single ear oetiker clamps.
If you have the correct tool the spring clamps are fine, and not the death clamps some make them out to be.

619 201 0310
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Style Hose Clamps Reply with quote

Silicone spray makes sliding spring clamps out of place on the hose easy. If the hose is swollen and won't let go of the clamp then the hose probably needs replacement.
Old seized worm clamps are much worse to remove than neglected spring clamps.
Busfixer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Style Hose Clamps Reply with quote

I like spring clamps too.

Here’s a spring clamp tip for installation/removal: put the spring clamp on the fitting before installing the hose. Once you wiggle and twist the hose to reach the spring clamp (which is already past the sealing ridge), squeeze and open the spring clamp with vice grips while wiggling the hose through it. Then properly position the clamp as needed.

A very backwards way to install and remove a hose but seems to work! I’m sure I didn’t invent this method but haven’t heard it mentioned. Hope this helps! Cheers, Busfixer
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Style Hose Clamps Reply with quote

Do any of the vendors sell a full replacement spring clamp kit? I have been searching but haven't found one.

I need to replace a coolant pipe and would like to update the clamps while I have the system open. Tired of chasing coolant leaks when it gets cold and the screw clamps need re-tightening.

I did find this document on the Old Blues Blog that lists the sizes.
http://oldbluesblog.com/files/VanagonSpringClamps.pdf

Previous Buses: 59 Westy, 60 Westy, 74 Bus, 82 Westy, 85 Westy, 87 Syncro
Checkout my Syncro Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JSWhLS7jLY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Style Hose Clamps Reply with quote

Busfixer wrote:
I like spring clamps too.

Here’s a spring clamp tip for installation/removal: put the spring clamp on the fitting before installing the hose. Once you wiggle and twist the hose to reach the spring clamp (which is already past the sealing ridge), squeeze and open the spring clamp with vice grips while wiggling the hose through it. Then properly position the clamp as needed.

A very backwards way to install and remove a hose but seems to work! I’m sure I didn’t invent this method but haven’t heard it mentioned. Hope this helps! Cheers, Busfixer

That is a great technique! Usually the issue is getting the clamp past the bulge caused by the ridge and you've removed that issue. I like.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Style Hose Clamps Reply with quote

dart330 wrote:
Do any of the vendors sell a full replacement spring clamp kit? I have been searching but haven't found one.

I need to replace a coolant pipe and would like to update the clamps while I have the system open. Tired of chasing coolant leaks when it gets cold and the screw clamps need re-tightening.

I did find this document on the Old Blues Blog that lists the sizes.
http://oldbluesblog.com/files/VanagonSpringClamps.pdf

When I replaced all the rubber hoses and installed stainless pipes last summer, I ordered up all of the clamps from Belmetric.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Style Hose Clamps Reply with quote

i just purchased a Blue Point HCP-20 spring clamp pliers off eBay to deal with these. they lock down, the jaw tips pivot so the clamp can be grabbed from any angle, and they fit the VW clamps well.

we've all been ting'd by the ear slipping off of the channel lock and whacking a finger at the speed of sound. i've gotten too old to accept the pain.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Style Hose Clamps Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing me to Belmetric, I had never seen these pliers before they have listed. Had been using the cable type for all of these clamps.

https://asttool.com/detail_page.php?tool_number=SCP2014

Previous Buses: 59 Westy, 60 Westy, 74 Bus, 82 Westy, 85 Westy, 87 Syncro
Checkout my Syncro Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JSWhLS7jLY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Style Hose Clamps Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
i just purchased a Blue Point HCP-20 spring clamp pliers off eBay to deal with these. they lock down, the jaw tips pivot so the clamp can be grabbed from any angle, and they fit the VW clamps well.

we've all been ting'd by the ear slipping off of the channel lock and whacking a finger at the speed of sound. i've gotten too old to accept the pain.

I love Snap On, but often am limited by the price. This set probably does not have the durability (or guarantee!), but having the different heads and the remote cable was worth the $50.

Astro Pneumatic hose clamp tool

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: