Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vw bus rebuild Denver/Brekenridge CO
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacobcallaghan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Vw bus rebuild Denver/Brekenridge CO Reply with quote

Hello Sambanights,

I currently own a 1970 vw bus with a dual port and dual carb 1600cc engine. She is showing signs of age, misfiring, poor power, leaking a lot and ect... I think it may be time for a rebuild.

Option 1: I was planning on rebuilding myself... but due to my lack of mechanical knowledge and current work load, i am reluctant to do so. It might be worth it to have a pro take on the project.

Option 2: Have a shop rebuild the engine out here in Colorado. This is my main reason for this thread. Does anyone recommend any shops or builders near the Brekenridge or Denver area? I am trying to spend no more than 4k if possible. 4k would be tight on my budget but doable. Is this a realistic price?

Option 3: Buy a turn key engine. I found a company in grants pass Oregon that sells them and seems to be good. There price is about 4200 for dual port and carb 1776ccc. https://www.strictlyforeign.com/

I thank you guys for all the help. If any of you live near the Brekenridge area and want to come take a look I would love to have some help. I would get ya some beer and a tasty meal Smile . Would love to meet some fellow vw heads.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw bus rebuild Denver/Brekenridge CO Reply with quote

If the engine runs now and isn't pouring oil, what kind of mileage is on the engine since the last rebuild? Have you done a compression test taking your altitude into account? Have you checked the ignition and timing? Do the carbs have chokes and are they set right? There is as much a need to tune the engine after a tune-up as there is to replace an engine when it is old and tired. Don't think that a new engine is going to be the cat's meow.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw bus rebuild Denver/Brekenridge CO Reply with quote

There’s Painters Grinding in Denver, I’ve seen a lot of good engines come out of there. There’s also Kustom Koach Works in Grand Junction, John and the crew over there also do great work.

http://www.paintersgrinding.com
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Vw bus rebuild Denver/Brekenridge CO Reply with quote

I like my motor (1776cc type 1). A local gentleman here in SE Michigan builds them. He's helpful and the engine seems well built. His name is David Satterley. He's on thesamba: satterley_sr

here is a ad of his. He does anything from stock to 2100 type 4's. Short blocks to fully restored.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2223558

Though you should definelty inspect your current bottom end first. Check end play, compression, and leak down. If all that turns out good, just tear it down, maybe a new set of P&C, clean it up and slap it back together. Could get another 20k mile out of it pretty easy assuming its in good knick.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Vw bus rebuild Denver/Brekenridge CO Reply with quote

Randy at sportcar in Colorado Springs, expensive but done right ( spend the money ).
jacobcallaghan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw bus rebuild Denver/Brekenridge CO Reply with quote

So good news!

Did a long awaited compression test today! Things look great. Around 140 in each Cylinder. This is good news. No need for rebuild I don't think.

So here are the big problems I am having and I have a couple of questions.

First off I am up at 10,000 feet in Brekenridge Colorado. I was previously in Utah at 5,000 feet (where my carb was last tuned). So by the look of my spark plugs I am running very rich. This makes sense given the alt change. I have a dual solex 35 pdsi. I am still very confused on how to tune these bad boys. Being at this elevation do I need to rejet? Or am I able to adjust it with a carb adjustment? Does any one have good resources on dual carb tuning

Second my engine has been misfiring. I believe this is a result of my spark plugs fawling from the rich mixture. I just changed the plugs and aded a new ignition coil and there is no more misfire.

Third I am getting gas in my oil. I believe this is all connected. I think since my plugs are shot and misfiring from the rich mixture, that gas is getting into the cylinders and not igniting and thus the gas in oil. I checked my fuel pump and it seems to be in good working order.

Fourth my engine does not really get warm. But as I recently learned, I need a thermostat and flaps. I just ordered them and plan to drop the engine and instal them once they arrive.

I hope this explanation of whats going on makes sense. Thanks for the help!
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw bus rebuild Denver/Brekenridge CO Reply with quote

A Dual port in a bus can be tuned and will run strong right up until it's death which usually is not a compression problem. It's usually an Oil leak at the front of the engine and excessive end play that is a sign that the case needs an align bore and thrust cut and new main bearings. This is typically caused by driving the bus over about 70mph a lot. The CCW crankshafts will help a lot here.
Yes up there or even at sea level where it gets below freezing when it's cold they can get gas in the oil. There are two ways this happens.
1.st Way happens while it being driven because it does not warm up enough to open the choke all the way or a float is bad in a carb causing gas to overflow all the time while driving.
2. The other way it happens is if the Fuel Pump is bad and a carb needle valve is sticking and when it sets overnight gas will drain through the bad fuel pump check valve then through a still a little open needle valve in a carb and into the engine. It could also be a broken fuel pump diaphragm. You will know which it is because if in the morning first start of the day it will be hydro locked sometimes. Well if your rings are good. Generally though if this is what is happening, if you don't leave it overnight with more than 1/2 a tank of fuel in it, it won't happen.
When this happens and the oil level begins to increase you should change the oil before driving it that way. It's pretty bad for the rod bearings.
If you park on a slant it may be better slanting the other way. The side of the gas fill should be on the high side. I am having an overnight gas in the oil problem sometimes with mine too and am going to put a solenoid valve on my fuel line: Here

Last edited by Danwvw on Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw bus rebuild Denver/Brekenridge CO Reply with quote

jacobcallaghan wrote:
Did a long awaited compression test today! Things look great. Around 140 in each Cylinder. This is good news. No need for rebuild I don't think.

Interesting. According to the chart on some website I found about elevated compression tests, you should be seeing nearly 25% lower readings at 8k feet elevation. (The chart stopped there.) Assuming the same maths, your sea level compression test seems to be around 175psi. Was the gauge used for the test compensated for elevation?

Quote:
by the look of my spark plugs I am running very rich. This makes sense given the alt change. I have a dual solex 35 pdsi. I am still very confused on how to tune these bad boys. Being at this elevation do I need to rejet? Or am I able to adjust it with a carb adjustment? Does any one have good resources on dual carb tuning

Make sure you read spark plugs immediately after a long hard drive, with minimal idling, if at all. Idling around town at 10k feet will blacked most plugs anyway.

All carburetors dispense fuel though jets, (little brass plugs with holes in them,) and the size of the jet hole determines how much fuel is sucked into the engine at any given speed. On pretty much any carburetor still on the road today, there is a different jet for every 1,000-2,000 RPM. In my experience, stock single Solex 30pict carbs have jets that function about:

Idle/pilot jet: 800 - 2,600 RPM
Main jet: 2,000-3,6000 RPM
Air-correction jet: 3,000-5,000 RPM (this one is a "backwards" jet, meaning it meters air not fuel)
Power/auxiliary jet: full throttle above 3,000 RPM

I'm sorry I do not know what the dual carb Solex jet ranges are. They're probably very similar if they were designed for the Type 1 engine.

Quote:
Second my engine has been misfiring. I believe this is a result of my spark plugs fawling from the rich mixture. I just changed the plugs and aded a new ignition coil and there is no more misfire.

WHEN is the engine misfiring? Cold idle? Hot idle? Under load? Coming to a stop? Let us know if the misfire comes back and more plugs foul. Dirty plugs means your engine is not running efficiently. Jetting involves getting a perfect balance between running cool enough to last forever, and hot enough to burn off deposits. An engine that over-cools itself can damage itself just like an engine that under-cools.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw bus rebuild Denver/Brekenridge CO Reply with quote

http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/2006/11/vw-altitude-adjustment.html

Remember - you are running a heavy bus, not a bug. Unless you can find someone who lived at 10,000' in a VW bus for years, you will want to err on the caution side with timing and setting the mixture. Be sure the chokes are fully opening.
jacobcallaghan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw bus rebuild Denver/Brekenridge CO Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!

So the compression test readings i already did the math to convert it to sea level. They read about 110 on the actual reader.

As for the misfire, it seemed to misfire under load. The bus was running good for the first few days I got here. I then ruptured my spleen and did not sr Be the bus for 4 days or so. After driving it a day after the break it started misfiring. My sister lives up a big hill and normally I am able to cruise up in third. With it misfiring I was barely able to make in second/first. I will see how the new plugs and coil hold up. But I need o tune my carb first and get the thermostat in before I drive more.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw bus rebuild Denver/Brekenridge CO Reply with quote

Did the stuttering happen after a gas stop? Or has it been going for more than one tank of fuel? How long has it been since you got to Breckenridge?

You're running the lowest octane rating of gas, right? For all stock air-cooled Volkswagens, using the lowest octane rating will keep your fuel more volatile and ready to combust. If your engine is a high-performance engine, talk to your engine builder.

A misfire can be a spark-related issue or a fuel-related issue. Tell us about your dwell angle, timing setting, (and how you got there,) and fuel pressure on a warm engine. Without those details, you're going to be playing parts darts.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Vw bus rebuild Denver/Brekenridge CO Reply with quote

All the above is correct, once that is sorted the timing must be advanced so that idles and revs up correctly ( I do it by "ear" on a warm engine ). I use high octane at high altitude, and let everything really warm up before driving. I lived in Brek over a winter in my 69 years ago ( when Ullerfest was totally out of control)
jacobcallaghan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Vw bus rebuild Denver/Brekenridge CO Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Did the stuttering happen after a gas stop? Or has it been going for more than one tank of fuel? How long has it been since you got to Breckenridge?

You're running the lowest octane rating of gas, right? For all stock air-cooled Volkswagens, using the lowest octane rating will keep your fuel more volatile and ready to combust. If your engine is a high-performance engine, talk to your engine builder.

A misfire can be a spark-related issue or a fuel-related issue. Tell us about your dwell angle, timing setting, (and how you got there,) and fuel pressure on a warm engine. Without those details, you're going to be playing parts darts.

Robbie

It did start happening after a gas fill. I have been running the highest octane. I thought i was suppost to run premium? I guess not...

I don't believe I have a dwell angle being that I converted over to electronic ignition?

I have not tested the fuel pressure. I will have to get a fuel pressure gauge.

My timing is set 30 max advance at 3,000 rpm.

Thanks for all the help.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw bus rebuild Denver/Brekenridge CO Reply with quote

jacobcallaghan wrote:
It did start happening after a gas fill. I have been running the highest octane. I thought i was suppost to run premium? I guess not...
I don't believe I have a dwell angle being that I converted over to electronic ignition?
I have not tested the fuel pressure. I will have to get a fuel pressure gauge.
My timing is set 30 max advance at 3,000 rpm.
Thanks for all the help.

Run the tank down and fill it up again! Bad gas hasn't been ruled out yet…

Europe measures gas using RON, (Research Octane Number, tested chemically in a lab.) 91 RON is what VW calls for in your gas flap and owner's manual. The United States uses R+M/2, which is an average of RON and MON, (Motor Octane Number, tested physically on a motor.) 91 RON is the same as 87 R+M/2, so in the U.S. all stock Volkswagens should be running 87. As oxygen disappears at elevation, it's important to have the more volatile fuel mixture available with cheaper gas. (Premium fuel is more resistant to pre-ignition, or knocking, and that's not really an issue for a stock engine timed correctly at elevation.) This is why 85 octane is available in Denver and everywhere higher. Use it when you find it!

Again, this is for stock Volkswagens set to stock specs only, plus maybe a few degrees of overall timing advance to compensate for elevation too. If your engine builder offers a warranty or advice, follow what they say.

Dwell is always good with electronic ignition, thanks for clarifying. (This assumes you set the gap between module and magnetic ring with the included spacer.)

Does your timing increase past 30° if you rev it a little higher? Some distributors have more oomph left in them when you give it a higher rev. I would set mine to 32° if the car never left the mountains, otherwise leave it at 30° if you make trips down the hill every so often. Smile

If you are able, a good metal T inline between the pump and the carb will let you measure your fuel pressure as you're running the engine in the driveway. You'll want to bleed the air out of the line, and shoot for 3psi to 5psi after letting the needle stabilize for a few seconds. I like closer to 3psi, as it lessens hot summer carb flooding. Fuel pressure is adjusted by adding/subtracting gaskets under the pump to reduce its stroke. Anything over 5psi can overwhelm the carburetor needle and flood the engine as mentioned in a post above.

Have you ensured that your choke is properly adjusted when the engine is cold? Have you made sure that the choke is fully open after driving for a few minutes? The tricky part about tuning a stock car for high elevation, is that you need a lot of fast idle cam to get over cold engine friction, but you don't necessarily need the enrichment that the choke provides.

Great news on the compression numbers. Smile
Robbie
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vw bus rebuild Denver/Brekenridge CO Reply with quote

Before you do anything, change the fuel filter.or you can go through all of the other crap only to find that you should have changed the fuel filter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: