Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RMW/VC Switchback Rack System (Swinging Rear Carrier)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: RMW/VC Switchback Rack System (Swinging Rear Carrier) Reply with quote

I wanted to dedicate this thread about the RMW/VC Switchback System. This system is added to a swing away carrier that allows you to carry items like a spare tire, full bikes, and more.

This system appeals to me over the GoWesty setup because I don't have to buy a heavy bumper.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jimf909 wrote:
I noodled this one for months, maybe a year. I've got a Kuat rack that I wanted to use. Rack-Attach swing out, Kuat swing-out (made by Rack Attach), various extensions, etc, etc. None allowed easy access to the hatch or didn't block the taillights.

I landed on 1Up bike racks mounted to an RMW swing out with the RMW Switch back attachment. It's a darn good solution for my needs. 1Up bike racks are very well designed and executed (relatively simple and no plastics).

FWIW, YMMV.

Last edited by shagginwagon83 on Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: RMW/VC Switchback Rack System (Swinging Rear) Reply with quote

They get my vote, the other option seems very wobbly on customers van, one van I had to put red locite on all the hardware, as it kept shaking the bolts loose.

619 201 0310
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: RMW/VC Switchback Rack System (Swinging Rear Carrier) Reply with quote

Isn't that SyncroJael's van (where'd he go anyway)? Wasn't he also dealing with tranny issues and a buckled rear quarter panel that some suspected was from carrying such a heavily loaded van?
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: RMW/VC Switchback Rack System (Swinging Rear Carrier) Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
Isn't that SyncroJael's van (where'd he go anyway)? Wasn't he also dealing with tranny issues and a buckled rear quarter panel that some suspected was from carrying such a heavily loaded van?

Recently he reported on his transmission here I think. I know he went on a weight reduction kick a while back, removing the big front brush guard and heavy bumpers.

I like the RMW spare tire carrier. The rest of their setup is on my wish list...

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmillsj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: RMW/VC Switchback Rack System (Swinging Rear Carrier) Reply with quote

I have the RMW swinging rear carrier. It’s well made and I really like how they attach it. Plus, I have stock bumpers, which I prefer. I really love the tire carrier, especially since my spare doesn’t fit in the original location. I’m always weight conscious, even with a 2.5 Subaru, and am not a fan of overloading my van. Plus, there’s already so much weight in the rear, why add to it? Bringing all the fun stuff (bikes mostly) along for trips is mandatory, but I’m more of a minimalist when I pack.

Less is more.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: