Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lazer 49er Van
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Lazer 49er Van Reply with quote

This was posted in the classified section but I wanted to start a dedicated thread for anyone else who likes them or is looking for information.

I had no clue this even existed until today and now I'm intrigued by it. Such a cool looking minivan. Anyone else out there have more information on this model?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2229317

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Lazer 49er Van Reply with quote

Other than made by Elite Enterprises, not much more info out there. Elite did the Laser 917, the Mini Mac (Mini 18 / pickup (which I've personally always wanted)), an Allard J2X replica and a host of minor fiberglass parts for production vehicles. I think I've only ever seen one or two 49er's for sale in the past 20 years.. a rare cat for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Lazer 49er Van Reply with quote

Here is some of the company's history....

https://fiberclassics.org/elite-enterprises-vw-kit-cars/

I visited his shop in Cokato with a buddy who was considering a 917 in the early 70s, we were warmly welcomed by Jerry. He was a wealth of information about all things kit car.

Although I can't find any direct info I believe he was killed in a FV or Super Vee accident.

Paul

(With way more projects than spare time!)
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Lazer 49er Van Reply with quote

hillmotorsports wrote:
Here is some of the company's history....

https://fiberclassics.org/elite-enterprises-vw-kit-cars/

I visited his shop in Cokato with a buddy who was considering a 917 in the early 70s, we were warmly welcomed by Jerry. He was a wealth of information about all things kit car.

Although I can't find any direct info I believe he was killed in a FV or Super Vee accident.

Paul

Thank you for the link. According to the site, only 16 49ers were sold between 1981-1982. That's a mighty low number. This example in the classifieds is a rare find. Hopefully it goes to a good home/garage Cool
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Lazer 49er Van Reply with quote

In the world of kit cars there is really no such thing as rare. Just cars that people did not want when new. I almost bought an orange one years ago. They are neat for sure.
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Lazer 49er Van Reply with quote

I'm looking for some badges, Ampmeter and door hinges for the laser 49er if anyone has some lying around...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Lazer 49er Van Reply with quote

Here ya go letterman

Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Lazer 49er Van Reply with quote

Laughing Here I go for what? That's not anything Elite related that I can tell.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Lazer 49er Van Reply with quote

Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
I'm looking for some badges, Ampmeter and door hinges for the laser 49er if anyone has some lying around...
The gauges show up on eBay and The Samba classifieds from time to time. Search for VDO Jet cockpit gauges. They probably won't be cheap. Rolling Eyes

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Lazer 49er Van Reply with quote

Sorry, thought you said you were jonesing for a mini mack. Not a mini mack?
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Lazer 49er Van Reply with quote

Touch Nicks Thing wrote:

I might have an extra Ampmeter I will have to check in a couple days when I am home from work, I'm in the middle of a 12 day shutdown.

But SBD is correct they are not cheap. I have a full set and have almost $1k invested, but most of the gauges I've bought came in pairs or groups and were NOS. But even good used ones with the aircraft style bezel are 2-3 times the cost of a new VDO gauge.

There was just an oil temp gauge on ebay for $142, search VDO Jet Cockpit gauges.

If the speedo has a trip meter that still works spay some film lubricant into the drive to keep the gears lubed, they are notorious for stripping.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Lazer 49er Van Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:

If the speedo has a trip meter that still works spay some film lubricant into the drive to keep the gears lubed, they are notorious for stripping.
Crap! My trip meter quit working a few weeks ago. I've been thinking about sending it off to get it repaired. Any recommendations?

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Lazer 49er Van Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:

I might have an extra Ampmeter I will have to check in a couple days when I am home from work, I'm in the middle of a 12 day shutdown.

But SBD is correct they are not cheap. I have a full set and have almost $1k invested, but most of the gauges I've bought came in pairs or groups and were NOS. But even good used ones with the aircraft style bezel are 2-3 times the cost of a new VDO gauge.

There was just an oil temp gauge on ebay for $142, search VDO Jet Cockpit gauges.

Word on lubing up the trip meter, will most definitely. Been checking for Jet Cockpit, stunned on the prices honestly, never expected that.

Will post photos of the Laser soon, hoping to have it done for Ocean City/H2O at the end of Sept.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Lazer 49er Van Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
Sorry, thought you said you were jonesing for a mini mack. Not a mini mack?

Not even close. One came up in Ohio this past month... owner keeps changing sh*t on it even though he says it's for sale. Last I saw it was a complete wreck with the mods he did...
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Lazer 49er Van Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
Here ya go letterman

Someone missed posting in the Abortions thread...

bnc
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Lazer 49er Van Reply with quote

Be nice people... one man's junk is another man's treasure!

(With way more projects than spare time!)
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Lazer 49er Van Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
slalombuggy wrote:

Crap! My trip meter quit working a few weeks ago. I've been thinking about sending it off to get it repaired. Any recommendations?

Not sure who to contact. Someone else may know who restores VDO gauges. Here's the set I had for sale a while back.

brad
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Lazer 49er Van Reply with quote

Laser 49er Assembly Manual!! Very, very cool to read how this would have went down back in the day. I guess most of this shit went way over my head as I never would have guessed how involved building a kit car really is. The book makes it sounds easy of course...
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Lazer 49er Van Reply with quote

Photos of when the Laser was picked up in Michigan.

I am really in need Elite and Laser 49er Emblems if anyone has the hookup.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Lazer 49er Van Reply with quote

If your build manual has either or both of those emblems that you can scan, I can create a decal from that if that will work for you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: