Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rebuild kit
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zgmg54321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: rebuild kit Reply with quote

i have never built a vw motor before I have a 1600 dp type 1 right now what are your thoughts on this kit (part quality wise and price point) seemed reasonable to me but what the heck do I know its my first build... https://chircoestore.com/engine-rebuild-kit-1641cc.html

or does someone else sell a better kit I couldn't find anything with quiet as much in it

thanks in advance, zach
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild kit Reply with quote

Well it's not as simple as it sounds if your doing a bottom end rebuild as well. Motor needs to be torn down to a bare case and the mains checked or align bored just to get measured for your main bearing size before you can even order a kit. Same goes for the crankshaft. The could both already be 0.010 or more as it sits. You also are leaving an opportunity for "free" power like upgrading the cam shaft and bumping the compression. Even if your just wanting to rebuild a "stock" motor your going to need some special tools to go along with whatever kit you choose. If it was me I would just buy a piston and cylinder kit, tear it down, have the case and crank checked so you can order bearings, have the rods rebuilt/ checked and figure out a cam. New cam also means new lifters, once ran that lifter is a match for that cam lobe, same thing with rod caps. Are you just wanting to do it yourself?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild kit Reply with quote

That's a way more stupider way to order parts if I ever was one.

I recommend you read through some of the the builds in the build stickies above to educate yourself on the procedure before you get out your Visa card.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild kit Reply with quote

Yes pull it apart before ordering parts.

Dont waste your time with a 1641 either. There is no point. Your buying heads, so if you want a bump in cc's without needing to bore the case then order heads opened to 90.5 and use 88mm kit with 90.5 top and stock slip in bottom for 1679. Now you have thick wall cylinders, not 1641 superthinwalls lol.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild kit Reply with quote

Same rust bucket engine core & plan from this post?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=709477&highlight=

Same result:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: rebuild kit Reply with quote

Let's keep this in the original topic.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: