Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A pillar alignment
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: A pillar alignment Reply with quote

I am doing the front of the 66 Deluxe and bought lower A pillar sections from Klassic Fab. I noticed the new A pillar doesn’t line up with the new inner valance replacement I bought. It’s not welded in yet. I replace the front frame rails and the measurements are good. I also bought a new front clip for the A pillars but the Klassic Fab sections match hose exactly. The front clip is an older section. I’m not sure what year it came off. Has anyone else had this experience lining up lower A pillar sections?

A pillar replacement to existing A pillar.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A pillar replacement to new clip.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: A pillar alignment Reply with quote

From those pics it's hard to tell what isn't lining up? In every pic the lower hinge mount location looks higher than the original. But not sure if that's your issue or not. You said mating to the valance panel. That isn't shown in this set of pictures.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: A pillar alignment Reply with quote

I should have clarified. When I line up the hinges between the new and old pice the bracket does not line up with the valance. So when the hinges are lined up the new piece seems longer. When I line it up with the bracket on the inner valance the new hinge is about 1 inch higher. I hope I explained that better.

EmpiGT wrote:
From those pics it's hard to tell what isn't lining up? In every pic the lower hinge mount location looks higher than the original. But not sure if that's your issue or not. You said mating to the valance panel. That isn't shown in this set of pictures.
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: A pillar alignment Reply with quote

Maybe this will help. This is the drivers side A pillar lined up with the bracket in the inner valance. The hinges don’t line up.

EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: A pillar alignment Reply with quote

Does the bulge on the inside where the inner kick panel match up correctly if you lower the pillar to where the hinge is correct? If so weld it in with the hinge in the correct spot and cut off the excess on the bottom to weld to that close out panel on the valance.
Edit: re looking maybe the inner bracket on your valance were welded on too low, in turn raising the valance up. Do the bumper brackets fit thru the holes in the valance and line up the the holes in the frame to bolt them on? Send some measurements from the bottom of the replacement a pillar to the hinge recess. If the valance is f'd up you're going to have all kinds of hell getting anything to line up.
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: A pillar alignment Reply with quote

I measured the new A pillar to the old one and the donor and the Klassic Fab Pilar is a half inch longer. I’m thinking this may be part of the issue. I haven’t welded in the close out panel yet. I won’t do that until everything is matching up right. The bumper brackets fit through the holes on the valance so it seems to be good there. I’m just thinking the KF pillars are a little long.

This is my first bus restore so I’m trying!

Here’s where thebxlose out panel is.

EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: A pillar alignment Reply with quote

I see the valance is one of those black ones. Not the best fitting parts. Make sure it's not dog eared up some or welded in slightly tilted up in the rear, somewhat like a "U".
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: A pillar alignment Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on that. I haven’t welded it in yet. I’ll definitely keep an eye on that. Thanks for the help!

EmpiGT wrote:
I see the valance is one of those black ones. Not the best fitting parts. Make sure it's not dog eared up some or welded in slightly tilted up in the rear, somewhat like a "U".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: