Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SVX / subaru - Oil filler through license plate door mod
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ARMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: SVX / subaru - Oil filler through license plate door mod Reply with quote

Some of us who have SVXs might burn a bit of oil, or a lot... That's an issue on my list of things to get to, finding an engine in good shape or a quality rebuilder (taking suggestions). In the mean time I came up with this, I was finding it annoying, embarrassing, and downright inefficient to unpack the back of the van at every gas stop to lift the lid just to top off the oil. I thought it should be more like the old days with the waterboxer. Of course this mod only works if you have no AC compressor installed though a more convoluted tube could be crafted. The filler neck came from a 90's dodge van.

The unmodified pipe from dodge:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
20180717_122732 by Andrew:, on Flickr

Cut and connect, make a flange.
20180718_133329 by Andrew:, on Flickr

A little spray paint and... Whala!
2018-11-21_03-06-10 by Andrew:, on Flickr

This mod could probably be done for other Subaru engines, though I can't confirm or deny that!
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: SVX / subaru - Oil filler through license plate door mod Reply with quote

Very resourceful and nicely done.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: SVX / subaru - Oil filler through license plate door mod Reply with quote

Sweet someone should make those. What's the blue cap on the oilbreader from?
ARMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: SVX / subaru - Oil filler through license plate door mod Reply with quote

Thats the SC flexible dipstick tube, it allows you to also relocate the dipstick behind the plate door. The stick is actually a tube you put your finger on the end of like when your a kid and your picking up water with a straw. The oil level is much easier to read through a clear tube, and can easily be marked to your capacity preference.

https://smallcar.com/vanagon/subaru-vanagon-conver...gines.html
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: SVX / subaru - Oil filler through license plate door mod Reply with quote

Ok thanks. I got the tube just wondering if the blue thing is a cap for the hole?
leathersmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: SVX / subaru - Oil filler through license plate door mod Reply with quote

That is exactly what i was wondering of. I had a subaru swap done last year. Runs great etc, but it always bothered me that one had to lift hatch to fill oil. On trip now, wanted to top up oil, and had to empty back to lift hatch. Contacted a few vendors to see if they had pipes made up that could unbolt subaru filler neck and replace with one that went up to plate like original. Replies were , prob not something that they would offer or don't know of anyone that produces pipe system. or would prob not work doing that because of angle. Too shallow for oil to flow. Will now look at getting a filler from the wreckers and trying to fashion piece to work........
Question is, what length of pipe did you start with? Is the bolt on part the original subaru bolt on piece that attached to motor?
Would be awesome if someone could produce the pipe all ready made up,so could order off the shelf.
leathersmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: SVX / subaru - Oil filler through license plate door mod Reply with quote

One more question. Is the filler piece at plate free floating, or did you make a hanger to keep it solid and not move around. Or does it stay solid once bolted to the motor?
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: SVX / subaru - Oil filler through license plate door mod Reply with quote

I'd love to see this for the inline-4…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: SVX / subaru - Oil filler through license plate door mod Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:

One of the stock diesel vanagon filler tube configurations should work fine with your inline 4 if it is mounted at the 50° angle. What seems to be the problem?

I've made a couple custom filler tubes for turbo-diesel engines fitted with A/C. Before long I will make another for a van with A/C and power-steering. Not hard to do compared to the rest of the conversion.

I've also made several custom dipstick and tubes. Checking at the license plate door is always a part of any quality conversion. Filling from the license plate door is not quite as necessary, but fairly high on my list.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: SVX / subaru - Oil filler through license plate door mod Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Paulbeard wrote:

One of the stock diesel vanagon filler tube configurations should work fine with your inline 4 if it is mounted at the 50° angle. What seems to be the problem?

I guess the problem is simple ignorance…I didn't realize these were a thing. If you have links or pointers, I'm interested. It would have been useful to know this was an option when this motor went in (to replace a Tiico clusterfarce). If I could check/add oil without having to open the hatch… /chef's kiss

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: SVX / subaru - Oil filler through license plate door mod Reply with quote

I imagine you have the later carrier bars and the WBX 4-speed (091/1). In that case a later filler tube would most likely fit. Depending on the accessories and how they are mounted it might have some interference, though. I know Bernd Jager still sells them new.

https://www.vw-t3-bus-shop.de/en/oil-fill-tube-syncro-t3-2wd-and-td-correspond-to-068115304b

I do not know of a source for the diesel dipstick tube but I have made them before from steel brake line. Again, Bernd Jager sells the dipstick although making the dipstick tube the correct length is a bit tricky.

https://www.vw-t3-bus-shop.de/en/oil-dipstick-diesel/turbo-diesel-068115611n

https://www.vw-t3-bus-shop.de/en/control-of-oil-dipstick-pipe-td/d

The prices all go down if you make an account and log in.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: SVX / subaru - Oil filler through license plate door mod Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
I imagine you have the later carrier bars and the WBX 4-speed (091/1). In that case a later filler tube would most likely fit. Depending on the accessories and how they are mounted it might have some interference, though. I know Bernd Jager still sells them new.

I'll look into all of this…the more good information I have on what's going, the less anxiety over what could go wrong. Thanks.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
gchristensen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: SVX / subaru - Oil filler through license plate door mod Reply with quote

Hey ArmC what type of brazing stuff did you use? I tried to silver solder and not a chance. Looking for what braizing tools and rod.

Thanks
Gregg
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: