Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mismatched Tire Sizes on Drive Axle? Problem or Not?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Mismatched Tire Sizes on Drive Axle? Problem or Not? Reply with quote

The reason I ask is I have a stock 225/60/16 spare and 225/70/16's on each corner. Those are apx 1" taller than stock.

I've heard that having mismatched tires can ruin a differential, something I did not know. So bad idea to mismatch, or workable with only 1" difference?
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mismatched Tire Sizes on Drive Axle? Problem or Not? Reply with quote

I would replace one as soon as possible. Besides any transaxle stress, emergency handling could be an issue.

Edit - if it's only the spare, you never have those on long enough to be a problem, IMHO
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Mismatched Tire Sizes on Drive Axle? Problem or Not? Reply with quote

You can run that until the cows come home.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mismatched Tire Sizes on Drive Axle? Problem or Not? Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, it would only be the spare, and I could put one of the rear tires on the front.

Actually I shouldn't make a big deal out of putting a matching 225/7016 tire on the spare wheel. Probably the smart thing to do.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mismatched Tire Sizes on Drive Axle? Problem or Not? Reply with quote

Since the differential is not a locking or limited slip unit, it will be fine. This could cause some confusion/weirdness with the ABS system though.

There’s nothing like the ABS grabbing the brake on one side when you least expect it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Mismatched Tire Sizes on Drive Axle? Problem or Not? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Since the differential is not a locking or limited slip unit, it will be fine. This could cause some confusion/weirdness with the ABS system though.

There’s nothing like the ABS grabbing the brake on one side when you least expect it.

Yeah I can see ABS being a problem, wheelspeed sensors getting confused. Makes sense to put a matched spare on, it isn't some big expensive deal.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mismatched Tire Sizes on Drive Axle? Problem or Not? Reply with quote

2003 EVC, looked at the spare tire carrier, there isn't much room for a larger diameter tire. Stock 225/60/16 is 26.63" diameter, 225/70/16 is 28.4" diameter. https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=225-60r16-225-70r16

Eyeballing the clearance available with the stock spare in the carrier there's maybe 1" more space available.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: