Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Happy Thanksgiving. How you doing your bird?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving 2018. How you doing your bird? Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Found "Jack D. Forbes", can't find the quote. More info, please? I am white. Well, Hispanic, actually. Very Happy

Quoting Jack around here would have heads explode, hard drives to be searched.

Paraphrase Wink
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving 2018. How you doing your bird? Reply with quote

Well, there is a gesture I can make with three fingers and a thumb...am I getting warm?

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving 2018. How you doing your bird? Reply with quote

Rusty , here you go.

Fish pie:
Peel and dice 3-4 potatoes and sweet potatoes , cook in boiling water til just done ,drain , set aside

Meenwhile,
One cup each , celery ,carrots, onions, (garlic opt.) diced medium
Saute in pan with butter ten minutes or so
Add s/p 1Tbs allspice,thyme,cloves
Add 2cups sherry
Reduce
Add 2 cups heavy cream ,reduce til thickened
Remove from heat, add cooked potatoes stir gently

Place pie crust in pan, add uncooked shrimp,scallops, whitefish of your choice,
Cleaned and cut in 3/4" chunks (you can use lobster , monkfish,etc whatever is available fresh that you like)
Cover with the chowder you made
Place crust over top , crimp edges, poke a few vent holes with a fork

Bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes
Let rest for ten minutes or so

Living in washington you should have plenty of fresh seafood
Unlike northern vt.

Hope you like it.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving 2018. How you doing your bird? Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Well, there is a gesture I can make with three fingers and a thumb...am I getting warm?

He has seen the light!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving 2018. How you doing your bird? Reply with quote

Awesome. Thank you for this. I'm gonna try making the pie this week.
I live in Oregon. But close enough to Washington.
Sadly we cannot get monk fish here. I hear it's the poor mans lobster.

Have a great weekend.
calvinater wrote:
Rusty , here you go.

Fish pie:
Peel and dice 3-4 potatoes and sweet potatoes , cook in boiling water til just done ,drain , set aside

Meenwhile,
One cup each , celery ,carrots, onions, (garlic opt.) diced medium
Saute in pan with butter ten minutes or so
Add s/p 1Tbs allspice,thyme,cloves
Add 2cups sherry
Reduce
Add 2 cups heavy cream ,reduce til thickened
Remove from heat, add cooked potatoes stir gently

Place pie crust in pan, add uncooked shrimp,scallops, whitefish of your choice,
Cleaned and cut in 3/4" chunks (you can use lobster , monkfish,etc whatever is available fresh that you like)
Cover with the chowder you made
Place crust over top , crimp edges, poke a few vent holes with a fork

Bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes
Let rest for ten minutes or so

Living in washington you should have plenty of fresh seafood
Unlike northern vt.

Hope you like it.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving 2018. How you doing your bird? Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:
79SuperVert wrote:

He has seen the light!

Like my Beetle, I'm slow, but I get there. Very Happy

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving 2018. How you doing your bird? Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Spezialist wrote:
79SuperVert wrote:

He has seen the light!

Like my Beetle, I'm slow, but I get there. Very Happy

Next year it’ll be an Irish Pizza, since Jack is the only researcher that reported
Just how Columbus “discovered America” he learned about it from being in Ireland when some here to unheard of “Native Americans” washing up on the shores of Northern Ireland prior to 1492, Jacks source was Columbus’s own ships log book.
Why pizza, the sheer irony that tomatoes were discovered also after 1492, and well the first thanksgiving wasn’t a pretty picture.
Happy Native Heritage Month!
Sorry to the OP, I’ve tried to have legitimate threads about NOVEMBER Here, meh
So I make jokes.
The nation wide dna study of Ireland and how Ireland is 75% Native American oh the irony.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving 2018. How you doing your bird? Reply with quote

Wifey followed Gordon Ramsey's recipe & covered the breast with slices of bacon. It protected the breast from burning fine, but all the bacon grease 'ruined' the giblet & drippings gravy! Rolling Eyes
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving 2018. How you doing your bird? Reply with quote

My younger Brother cooked the Bird, Tit's down on a rack, flipped it for the last hour, it was exellent.
I made 72 GALLONS of Gravy @ work, 2 batches a week since mid Sept. (we get $15/quart- yep $60/ Gallon!!) and last Monday I went in @ 4 a.m. and banged out 165 POUNDS of stuffing (we sold out) we broke our store record, bringing in $76,000 in 1 days sales !!! I do like the Rich folks that can't/ won't cook..... Twisted Evil

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving 2018. How you doing your bird? Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
I made 72 GALLONS of Gravy @ work, 2 batches a week since mid Sept. (we get $15/quart- yep $60/ Gallon!!) and last Monday I went in @ 4 a.m. and banged out 165 POUNDS of stuffing (we sold out) we broke our store record, bringing in $76,000 in 1 days sales !!! I do like the Rich folks that can't/ won't cook..... Twisted Evil

WOW, that is awesome.

On the other hand, it seems weird to me to buy gravy or stuffing.
I'm happy with my boxed stuffing.
I'm guessing this is blasphemy though since you are a chef. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving 2018. How you doing your bird? Reply with quote

I gave my mom the bird for thanksgiving Shocked Wink cooked of coarse.with all the trimmings too!!!(except for feathers)
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving 2018. How you doing your bird? Reply with quote

What is on tap for this year people?

Staying home with the fam damnly , no visitors , maybe a skype or zoom with my sister and her kids.

Was hoping that side-o-beef would have come from the butchers, alas not till next week.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving 2018. How you doing your bird? Reply with quote

Going to my son's on T'giving, then smoking a bird Saturday for my wife's siblings. Gonna be a nice weekend... Very Happy
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving 2018. How you doing your bird? Reply with quote

No turkey for me. One of my sisters visited my folks a few days ago. I went over to say hello for a few socially distanced minutes. Now everyone who was at their house,8 or 9 people including my nephew's newborn baby, has Covid, except for me. But, I didn't spend any time inside the house while I was there. Still, I have to quarantine for another few days. And my wife is quarantined up north with her 97 year old mother. So, I won't be making turkey for one.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving 2018. How you doing your bird? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
No turkey for me. One of my sisters visited my folks a few days ago. I went over to say hello for a few socially distanced minutes. Now everyone who was at their house,8 or 9 people including my nephew's newborn baby, has Covid, except for me. But, I didn't spend any time inside the house while I was there. Still, I have to quarantine for another few days. And my wife is quarantined up north with her 97 year old mother. So, I won't be making turkey for one.
some things cant be fixed. Im gladd you are ok and knew how to stay that way. but thats no reason not to have some turkey. even a small one or hungry mans meal, turkey dressing tators, gravy and a snack.!!!
Im not doing a bird this year either, for some reason my mom bought one..Ive been cooking for years,.so me and the wife will head over( across town) for turkey day and take some extras with us. my brother is in daytona for the big swap meat so he wont be there with????who ever he has this week.we should be safe.

however you do it, try to be safe.use oven mitts!!!!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving 2018. How you doing your bird? Reply with quote

Sometimes non traditional is good. Yesterday I finished up a big pot of red beans and rice. It takes 2 days to perfect with andouille sausage to the side.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving 2018. How you doing your bird? Reply with quote

I made a huge pot of gumbo - chicken, sausage and okra - a couple of days ago, and I still have leftovers. Supposed to be a little cooler tomorrow, perfect for a big bowl of gumbo, and gumbo is always better when reheated, so I am good.

I eat turkey sandwiches a lot, so I won't miss it.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving 2018. How you doing your bird? Reply with quote

im not sure how the turkey will be cooked tomorrow( thanksgiving will be at my neice in laws house). yay, less dishes for me. but 4 or so thanksgivings ago, i was at a friends place, and they fried the turkey in a pot like kit, and thats shit was the BOMB!! so good. the duck was outstanding as well.

my great nana, is too old and isnt doing too well lately after the stroke, so they will be buying a plater from down the road. she told my father she got a new jeep today. an '87 model. only 1 year old.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving 2018. How you doing your bird? Reply with quote

Just hanging out with the family that lives in my house. No outside visitors for us. I’ll be frying a turkey and putting the engine in on my 56 beetle.

56 Beetle - Wilbur. I found a lot of lipstick on this pig so far.
63 Beetle - Luna
66 13 window Bus - Tetanus
71 Bay Window - Lola. Totaled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving 2018. How you doing your bird? Reply with quote

Grilling the bird again-but on Friday as my daughter comes back from college in the morning. We'll be patio eating-got to get a heater-as she has to isolate for 5 days and get a covid test so she can come out of quarantine. So three of us on the patio and her in her room next to the patio.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: