Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flat Earth!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Flat Earth! Reply with quote

Has anyone else gone down this insane rabbit hole before?

I stumbled across a flat earth rebuttal video on YouTube a while ago by a guy who goes by Vsauce. Great educational video on a fascinating thought experiment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNqNnUJVcVs

But of course this lead me to the realization that there are people out there who actually believe, right now, that the earth is flat. I honestly did not know this was still a thing. So I started watching more videos by 'flat earthers' that detailed their 'scientific' findings and reasoning. After way too many hours watching this crap and reading an endless stream of unfathomable comments by true believers, I started to seriously question my own understanding; the strength of someone else's conviction can do that. I ruminated on the topic for about half a minute and concluded that indeed the earth is not flat.

So who are these people? Are they insane? Do they simply lack a functional understanding of science and how the physical world works? Are they bible literalists?

Or are they trolls?

Read the comment section on any of these flat earth videos and you'll see the most insane trolling that has ever existed. These people destroy the limits of credulity and launch an all out, guns blazing, bombs dropping assault on logic and reason. The rhetoric is so disgustingly juicy that I still am left dumbfounded as to why, on this oblate spheroid earth, would any thinking adult engage with someone who is quite clearly fucking with them.

I do believe that a very small percentage of these people truly believe in the existence of a flat earth. The rest are only in it because they are seriously sick individuals- psychopaths most likely. I've never encountered a real flat earther in person, but maybe a flat earth convention will solve that. Just missed the 2018 conference last weekend in Denver http://fe2018.com. Next year for sure.

Still, I find the fact that this is actually a thing endlessly fascinating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Flat Earth! Reply with quote

Link

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Flat Earth! Reply with quote

Well, the guy in the video in no way swayed me but he was interesting to listen to and kept my attention on a ridiculous subject.

As for "who are these people?", IMO there are fanatics, good & bad, in all walks of life.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Flat Earth! Reply with quote

awreed wrote:
So who are these people? Are they insane? Do they simply lack a functional understanding of science and how the physical world works? Are they bible literalists?

Or are they trolls?

What does Mark Tucker think ? If "think" is the right word !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Flat Earth! Reply with quote

awreed wrote:
Has anyone else gone down this insane rabbit hole before?

I stumbled across a flat earth rebuttal video on YouTube a while ago by a guy who goes by Vsauce. Great educational video on a fascinating thought experiment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNqNnUJVcVs

But of course this lead me to the realization that there are people out there who actually believe, right now, that the earth is flat. I honestly did not know this was still a thing. So I started watching more videos by 'flat earthers' that detailed their 'scientific' findings and reasoning. After way too many hours watching this crap and reading an endless stream of unfathomable comments by true believers, I started to seriously question my own understanding; the strength of someone else's conviction can do that. I ruminated on the topic for about half a minute and concluded that indeed the earth is not flat.

Or are they trolls?

Read the comment section on any of these flat earth videos and you'll see the most insane trolling that has ever existed. These people destroy the limits of credulity and launch an all out, guns blazing, bombs dropping assault on logic and reason. The rhetoric is so disgustingly juicy that I still am left dumbfounded as to why, on this oblate spheroid earth, would any thinking adult engage with someone who is quite clearly fucking with them.

I do believe that a very small percentage of these people truly believe in the existence of a flat earth. The rest are only in it because they are seriously sick individuals- psychopaths most likely. I've never encountered a real flat earther in person, but maybe a flat earth convention will solve that. Just missed the 2018 conference last weekend in Denver http://fe2018.com. Next year for sure.

Still, I find the fact that this is actually a thing endlessly fascinating.

Not to steal your thunder but another insane rabbit hole exists for those true believers in “ Chem Trails “ the truly amazing thing to believe is how this is all kept secret. Then there’s the individual known as Q.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Flat Earth! Reply with quote

^^^^^^ only a very few have chosen to take the blue pill and see what is real the rest live in that controlled engineered reality. Very sad indeed.i didn’t tell anyone until now but under cover of darkness we lined our entire roof with tinfoil under the tar paper and shingles. The rest of you can get your so called “flu shots” which in conjunction with the microwaves and chem trails keep you docile and controlled. Now go out and buy something, better yet buy it online. Very Happy
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Flat Earth! Reply with quote

I looked up a few sites, out of sheer morbid curiosity, after Mad Mike Hughes did his rocket launch. I guess "Research Flat Earth" on the side of his rocket did it's job.

I was astonished how many people actually believe in flat earth. Circular logic (no pun indented), and complex alternative explanations for observations that so obviously result from a proven spherical world. Maybe some are just trolls looking to argue and find it challenging to come up with weird explanation for everyday phenomenon.

This weekend, after watching Close Encounters of the Third Kind, I looked up Devils Tower, since it's such a striking formation. Guess what I found? People who actually believe it's a gigantic petrified tree stump. Unbelievable.

I truly fear for the lack of education in this county. Especially science, math and technology.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Earth! Reply with quote

My grandfather shipped out to China in the 1920's with orders to Shanghai while he was in the USN. While crossing the Pacific, he and several othet officers spent a whole lot of time trying to teach a man onboard about the spherical nature of the earth, using all the navigational tools on hand and reason.
He said they could not convince the man, and that it was the best entertainment going during the voyage.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Earth! Reply with quote

Well I'm sure glad the sun revolves around our flat earth!!!! Very Happy
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Flat Earth! Reply with quote

The trip to the moon was faked - saw that in "Capricorn One". Any film with OJ Simpson in it has to be 100% true.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Flat Earth! Reply with quote

Ok it’s flat but I have a few questions. Is it in any particular shape, Rectangle, square, maybe a hex shape? Water from oceans, does it drain over the edge, if yes where does it go? Is it gone or does it recirculate? Why do we have no pictures of the edge? How do satellites orbit a flat surface? All the NASA pictures we’ve seen are fake because earth looks round but hey good job keeping this secret.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Flat Earth! Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Is it in any particular shape, Rectangle, square, maybe a hex shape? Water from oceans, does it drain over the edge,

The earth is basically a extra large cheese stuffed crust pizza. The very thick crust holds in the water from spilling out the side.
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Flat Earth! Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Ok it’s flat but I have a few questions. Is it in any particular shape, Rectangle, square, maybe a hex shape? Water from oceans, does it drain over the edge, if yes where does it go? Is it gone or does it recirculate? Why do we have no pictures of the edge? How do satellites orbit a flat surface? All the NASA pictures we’ve seen are fake because earth looks round but hey good job keeping this secret.

Per the flat earthers, there is a very large ice wall surrounding the edge of the world (think Game of Thrones). https://wiki.tfes.org/The_Ice_Wall
I have heard testimonies The Wall is protected by an army (don't know if it is national or global) that will detain and deter anyone from going to its boarders. Very interesting stuff...whacked...but interesting none the less.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Earth! Reply with quote

Don't climb over the edge and go the underside. That's where the lizard people live, and you'll be captured and enslaved. There's scientific proof that the lizard people exist. I read an article on it in the National Enquirer, right after I finished the fascinating story about that poor little boy that is half bat. Sad tale indeed.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Earth! Reply with quote

yes some parts of the earth are flat. some arnt. some are virtickle some are whoreazontle... some are wet some are dry some are unfortunatly on fire. some are blown away. but in the end...what differance does it make? kinda like the moon is madea cheezzee....can you prove it isant? it may just have a tiny cheezze core that was flying through space and attracting dust&debris and a few asteroids too along with a astronout's& trick little buggy. if the earth wasent flat how could we ever park without using the ebrake and keep out cars from rolling right offt the thing.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Earth! Reply with quote

Cannot argue with this fine logic, you use your mouth prettier than a 5 dollar whore.
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Earth! Reply with quote

Which Earth are we discussing here?

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Earth! Reply with quote

You know, I never would have thought that the general population is as stupid as I've seen them recently demonstrate.

I completely understand those same folk believing in a flat earth despite rock solid evidence to the contrary.

You can go to the ocean front beach or even to the flat lands of Kansas and view the curvature of the earth with the naked eye.

No way the earth is flat, even without those "fake" photos from space showing otherwise.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Earth! Reply with quote

Doesn't matter a hill of beans to me if people want to believe the earth is flat. Doesn't bum my trip. I guess Frank Burns was right..."Individuality is fine as long as we all do it together".
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Earth! Reply with quote

I used to know this girl who was earthy..well she was kinda flat anyways..

come to think of it, my earth, wind and fire records are all flat as well..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: