Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winter beater
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

"oprn"-- it is just as quick to switch tires as to put chains on in the snow.

UMmmmmm, no, lossen 10 lug nuts, jacking the car up 2x, putting other tires on, putting lugs back on and lower car, thigthen lugs x10 in the Winter would be way more work than putting chains on .

"oprn"
A VW Bus with it's extra clearance and chains will go anywhere that a 4 X 4 will.

I doubt it.

Just sold the old winter beater, this is what it looked like after 9 SALTY Winters:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon

Last edited by crukab on Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

Its not a bus its an old beater honda with a good inspection sticker

Vermont is going nutzo on vehicles with rust and wont inspect them, yet they continue to spread that crap briny shit so the flatlanders with all season tires can still go skiing. God i hate the government.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

How do you like the rain we are getting on top of the snow this a.m...... Sad

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

No I know it's not a Bus, a Civic is a far better choice for your son. I was saying that because the limiting factor on most vehicles is ground clearance not the number of wheels driving.

Years ago my brother got stuck on his way home in a snow storm in his Ford truck with about a 1000 pounds in the box. Dad and I took the '69 Bus out and rescued him so I know what I am talking about.

Laying under a Civic trying to do up the inside clasp on chains could indeed take more time than spinning off 8 lug nuts. A lot colder and wetter too!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

Never tried those snake skin things, but the modern quick fit cable chains are pretty simple to use and work just fine. They won't last over long miles, but for your needs up a short drive on random occasions they will be fine. And much faster to install than changing the whole tire/wheel combo.

I keep a nice-fitting set of real chains in my 2wd Toyota pickup all winter long. I run studded snow tires, but sometimes to get to a jobsite, I need those chains. I can't believe where that truck will go with tire chains and my tools all piled in the back. I have pushed enough snow to clog up the radiator and it still wanted to keep going. Doesn't take very long to install and get them snug with some practice. I keep an old coat and gloves in the truck just for this job so my everyday stuff is still dry and clean-ish when I get to my destination.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Laying under a Civic trying to do up the inside clasp on chains could indeed take more time than spinning off 8 lug nuts. A lot colder and wetter too!

Until you drop a few nuts in the snow never to be seen again Shocked Confused Crying or Very sad Mad
Putting chains on a front drive isn't so terrible, you can turn the wheel you are working on out to reach the inner side a little easier.
Flip a coin, swap wheels or install chains roadside, likely about the same overall effort, but loose chains take up a whole lot less trunk space.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

The rain was minimal , slick roads till the town got out around ten am.
Just finished plowing the muck with an old JD 950 with a plow bracketed into the bucket. The wife calls it the centipad

Gotta make due with what ya got
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

Disgusting, aggressive, obnoxious snow tires will do- on spare rims. The less flattering on the civic the better. I wouldn't worry about studs. Tires that can still dig in after the fenderwells are packed with snow is the key. Cable chains work well for piece of mind (icy freeways) but the chain-chains are the real deal for deep snow.

Use your local mail carriers' rigs as a 'barometer' of the need for chains.

And take the kid to advanced snow training (empty school lot) the first chance you get. Chains are useless when the driver is a crackalacka hooligan. Laughing at those clowns is a regular winter hobby for me.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Disgusting, aggressive, obnoxious snow tires will do-

Unfortunately not easy to find these days in a passenger car tire!
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
No I know it's not a Bus, a Civic is a far better choice for your son. I was saying that because the limiting factor on most vehicles is ground clearance not the number of wheels driving.

Years ago my brother got stuck on his way home in a snow storm in his Ford truck with about a 1000 pounds in the box. Dad and I took the '69 Bus out and rescued him so I know what I am talking about.

OMG! Turn drive wheels to full lock and place chain mating ends accordingly and kneel to attach.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

Patina was just getting started.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:

Patina was just getting started.

Looks like my '81 Civic after 5 NE winters...
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Disgusting, aggressive, obnoxious snow tires will do- on spare rims. The less flattering on the civic the better.

I did that w/my '86 Civic Si--aggressive Nokias on the stock steelies for winter and a set of CRX Si alloys for aggressive summer driving.

Less flattering didn't work--someone tried to steal my snow tires one night, but they didn't see the locking lug nuts right away. I left for work in the morning--car was wandering all over the road and clunking.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

Picked up a 98 accord $1,000 bucks , good inspectio til august.
State said car worth $2390 pay tax on that or go home
Wife showed previous owner paid tax on car at 1400 value last year

DMV clerck said " you know the values of these old cars are going up "

Furking morons at the State . " bend over i'll drive"

They wonder why all the young people are leaving

Time to make my own plates
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

Seems everyone I know is buying Subaru lately. Picked up this one in pretty good shape for the winter:

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

Sorry to pop your bubble but we have one of those and although it is great in the snow it is the worst car on ice I have ever driven in my 40+ years of driving winter roads. Totally unstable and unpredictable! It is also the first all wheel drive we have ever had.

Never again!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Sorry to pop your bubble but we have one of those and although it is great in the snow it is the worst car on ice I have ever driven in my 40+ years of driving winter roads. Totally unstable and unpredictable! It is also the first all wheel drive we have ever had.

Never again!

Complete opposite experience here, and with nearly every other old Subaru owner. You need better tires or something. Soobs are some of the most capable slick road vehicles available.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

.......... You need better tires or something. Soobs are some of the most capable slick road vehicles available.

Speaking of "tires on ice", I just put a set of Vrederstein Quatrac 5 tires on my wife's Altima. They are claimed to be fantastic in the wet; ice; snow. But, alas, it is now 42 degrees here and dry as a bone so I haven't yet had a chance to find out.
https://www.vredestein.com/car-suv-van/tyre-finder/tyres/product/3/885
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

Subarus are the best AND worst winter driving cars.

The suspension wears out long before the car does. Before I had the struts replaced on my wife's '96 Outback, the car would launch into spins without warning on ice.

Also, the bolts for the front anti-sway bar have a tendency to fall out, making for a dangerous situation.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

I just put a fresh set of super-snow-studded-something-or-others on my 2wd Toyota pickup. Bought them off a wreck at the local towing yard for $100. Sticks to the snow/ice/slush like glue.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: