Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winter beater
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
Subarus are the best AND worst winter driving cars.

The suspension wears out long before the car does. Before I had the struts replaced on my wife's '96 Outback, the car would launch into spins without warning on ice.

Also, the bolts for the front anti-sway bar have a tendency to fall out, making for a dangerous situation.

I had several sway bar links (dogbones) fail over the 12 years we owned our last Soob. Only had to do rear struts once in that 120K miles, though.
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

Studded snow tires, I have been using them on two wheel drive cars both front wheel and rear wheel drive for 11 years with lake effect snow in our area. If they don't work for you on snow and or ice then get lessons on how to drive in winter weather because you're doing something wrong.

Bottom line is no matter what you do you are driving on a slick surface all season tires on an all wheel of four wheel drive will skid just as easy on snow and ice as a two wheel drive. And it goes sideways when it spins during acceleration. Even with snow tires you still need to realize you have an advantage over all season but they will let go as well. Drive appropriately for the conditions.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:

The suspension wears out long before the car does. Before I had the struts replaced on my wife's '96 Outback, the car would launch into spins without warning on ice.

Also, the bolts for the front anti-sway bar have a tendency to fall out, making for a dangerous situation.

Here's a guy that knows that the scoop is! Yup, spins out without warning in any direction at any time. Impossible to predict which way it will go, almost like it checks to see which wheel has the most traction and spins off that direction. I have no shortage of experience driving on ice and snow so you can forget that being the problem. I am normally the one passing everyone on ice and driving on the ragged edge of traction. In this thing I am holding up everyone on the road!

The car had 45K on it when we got it, since then it has had 3 sets of good winter tires, 2 new sets of rear wheel bearinds, all 4 new struts and 4 wheel alignments. It now has 250K on it and NOTHING has changed.

Just for interest, when we take it ice racing it comes in nearly dead last no matter who is driving. Behind the front wheel drives and the rear wheel drives.

Like I said, in the snow it works just fine.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
janerick3 wrote:

Here's a guy that knows that the scoop is! Yup, spins out without warning in any direction at any time. Impossible to predict which way it will go, almost like it checks to see which wheel has the most traction and spins off that direction. I have no shortage of experience driving on ice and snow so you can forget that being the problem. I am normally the one passing everyone on ice and driving on the ragged edge of traction. In this thing I am holding up everyone on the road!

The car had 45K on it when we got it, since then it has had 3 sets of good winter tires, 2 new sets of rear wheel bearinds, all 4 new struts and 4 wheel alignments. It now has 250K on it and NOTHING has changed.

Interesting. Thousands of miles of slick road driving in Subarus and never once have I had that happen. Can't say I have ever heard of that from anyone else either. They are the go-to car for lots of folks here in North Idaho, and we see some nasty road conditions regularly.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Patina was just getting started.

AHHHH no, that hatch was Swiss cheese, the patch in the middle was 3/4 of a license plate w/ a pint of Mar-glass, from last years inspection (2/17) the rest of that has developed since then.... Evil or Very Mad

Studded snows are the way to roll here in Vermont w/ front wheel drive, lots of hills & ice.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

Uninspectable now , no rust thru any where allowd in case some one walks pasr your car and gets hurt . Save us from ourselves so we do not have to be responsible for our own actions
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Uninspectable now , no rust thru any where allowd in case some one walks pasr your car and gets hurt . Save us from ourselves so we do not have to be responsible for our own actions

yea....because 9 times out of 10 if sheet metal on the exterior looks that bad, what do the floors and rockers look like?

I wish CT would let us do inspections like that. I have had so much junk that I would love to see get fixed or just crushed because of holes in floors, rockers etc but I have to let it go.

I document and photo every car I work on that is dangerous. I also make them sign on the invoice right next to my warning as well, so they can't deny the fact that I never told them. I also do a short video of the car as well, showing the VIN, mileage etc. sadly, it's called cover your ass

this was the last straw for me:

https://www.mynbc5.com/article/licensed-car-mechan...th/3324536

I have a friend who owns a shop in Hyde Park VT. he knows the owner of the shop that passed this car....why did it pass? the people were old, had no money and cried in the office. so they passed the car on the promise that they would fail it next inspection to give them some time....the only guy who got time was the tech...

for once, I agree with a gov't program. I see so much unsafe junk rolling around it isn't funny.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

Ouch
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

Damn...

Video link from above with more info that the brakes failed and she hit a tree and died:
https://www.mynbc5.com/article/mechanic-faces-manslaughter-one-year-after-crash/2886760
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

one of the tests they have to do is a 2 foot "panic stop" so basically sit in the car and slam the brakes with both feet like it was no ones business.

my friend has told me he's blown lines and master cylinders doing this test. the rust up here in the North East is no joke.

here is a XC90 rear wheel bearing I had to plasma cut out of the car. what should have been a 1.6 hour job was more like 3.5....but I saved a 900.00 axle in the process (which you need to take a LOT of the suspension apart to change)

so, I agree with getting unsafe crap off the road. most people go to iffy-lube for service and they don't look cars over when they do an oil change...all they try to do is sell filters. every o/c I do the car gets a good check over to alert folks of any issues.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

Sir you sound like an honest mechanic, i applaud your approach to the situation.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

You really don't see a lot of 1990s cars running around in New England nowadays, especially since (most of) the NE states started cracking down on rust.

It's a far cry from the early 1980s, when old license plates, pop rivets, duct tape and spray undercoating was all that was needed to pass a rust-through inspection. A six-pack or a sizable tip didn't hurt, either. Every station knew who the state inspectors were and where they were working on a given day, so fines and license revocations were few and far between.

If you had the time and skill, a gallon of bondo and a $50 paint job got you another 2-3 years of life out of a beater.

Of course, your lights, wipers, and horn had to work, none of your tires were bald, muffler wasn't blown, glass wasn't cracked and your car didn't blow blue smoke. If then you failed inspection, you picked the wrong station.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
oprn wrote:
janerick3 wrote:

Interesting. Thousands of miles of slick road driving in Subarus and never once have I had that happen. Can't say I have ever heard of that from anyone else either. They are the go-to car for lots of folks here in North Idaho, and we see some nasty road conditions regularly.

To add: Warped rotors and antilock brakes on older Subarus are a dangerous mix. Spend the money on new rotors instead of having them turned. The antilock brakes on late-model Subarus are like night and day.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

Today was the third time I launched my wife's '96 Outback on black ice without any warning (and the scariest to date @ 55mph). Temperature dropped and the untreated road just started to freeze. Trashed a driving light and front license plate frame sliding across the grass berm, just missing a light pole and reflector post in the process. My underwear stayed dry, surprisingly. Felt like road racing, but with obstacles...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

I am not at all impressed with all wheel drive! Give me front or rear wheel drive any day, one or the other. Much more predictable on pure ice.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I am not at all impressed with all wheel drive! Give me front or rear wheel drive any day, one or the other. Much more predictable on pure ice.

nothing will save you on black ice. studded tires may help somewhat.

I always tell people AWD is great...for going...but you still have the same 4 brakes as a 2WD

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
LeftToaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
oprn wrote:
Laying under a Civic trying to do up the inside clasp on chains could indeed take more time than spinning off 8 lug nuts. A lot colder and wetter too!

Until you drop a few nuts in the snow never to be seen again Shocked Confused Crying or Very sad Mad
Putting chains on a front drive isn't so terrible, you can turn the wheel you are working on out to reach the inner side a little easier.
Flip a coin, swap wheels or install chains roadside, likely about the same overall effort, but loose chains take up a whole lot less trunk space.

I try not to drop my nuts in the snow.

I've lived in Saskatchewan, BC, Alberta, Ontario [and California] urban and rural. I can count on 1 finger the number of times I have actually needed chains. You can put chains on pretty much any car, but if you drive much more than about 30Km/h you risk shredding your fenders.

For longer winter trips through the mountains or if I am going back country skiing I have a set of cable chains that I bring along. I shouldn't say I've never used them. If you are stuck, just throw them under the driving tires like a mat and drive over them to get going.

Front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, four wheel drive - it doesn't matter, true Snow Tires versus All Season tires are the most important thing. On all of my cars, I put all seasons on for 3 seasons and snow tires for winter.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
oprn wrote:
nothing will save you on black ice. studded tires may help somewhat.

There are two things that will along with your studded tires. 1) a two wheel drive car (front or rear) that gives you fair warning that conditions are not good (AWD and 4WD do not!) and 2) the common sense to slow down!!
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I always tell people AWD is great...for going...but you still have the same 4 brakes as a 2WD

Agreed 100% !!
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter beater Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
ach60 wrote:

Patina was just getting started.

AHHHH no, that hatch was Swiss cheese, the patch in the middle was 3/4 of a license plate w/ a pint of Mar-glass, from last years inspection (2/17) the rest of that has developed since then.... Evil or Very Mad

Studded snows are the way to roll here in Vermont w/ front wheel drive, lots of hills & ice.

I admit I know nothing about rust, I've live in the SF Bay area of Ca. for 34 years.
I saw rusty cars living in the Midwest as a kid & young adult, so I "knew" where to look then,
but with new cars having so much plastic cladding, the trunk could rot off before you see the damage Shocked
I was joking about the Patina, but like another poster said rust is no joke.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: