Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Possible 12 Volt to 6 Volt wiper motor controller
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Possible 12 Volt to 6 Volt wiper motor controller Reply with quote

A yacht owner I'm working for has me replacing all the incandescent and flourescent lighting on his boat with modern LEDs. For the flybridge dining area he wanted the whole thing dimmable. I am using this device and realized this controller could be a good way to run 6 volt wipers on 12 volts.

Sorry for the crooked pictures. They were not tilted before I uploaded them.

I mocked up the controller and loaded it up with amperage to test at home to see if it would work for the wipers using the stock switch. Here is the unit.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the way to alter the bus wires for it to control the wiper motor. The optional external momentary switch will be the bus wiper switch.

It should be able to handle the wiper motor amperage draw.

My input power was 12 volts from a power supply.

Here's the size of the unit and like I said it will be controlled with your wiper switch. Single or two-speed will work.

Only momentarily turn on your wiper switch then off to turn on or off the wipers. Leave the switch on and the voltage will perfectly drop gradually then turn your switch to off when the voltage is 6 volts. Every time you momentarily turn on then off it will come on at 6 volts.

You can experiment and soon learn how easy it is to control and go slower or faster and the on/off part. The two-speed switch you should only wire to the first click (slow speed wire) and leave the other wire (high speed) taped off.

Although not practical but kinda trippy there is also a doorbell looking button or keyfob button or two other remotes that transmit FM so you could control your wipers from inside a cafe while you eat if you wanted.

I didn't actually try this to my wiper motor but I did load it up with enough amperage to simulate more than enough load.

I sure wish the photos where horizontal for ease of viewing...sigh.

Here's a link to an older World War II version of wiper motor control that works well also. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=198763&highlight=volt+wiper
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Possible 12 Volt to 6 Volt wiper motor controller Reply with quote

I too have had the samba rotate my pics when I uploaded them. Sometimes. It just tips them on their side.
Confused Evidently it thought I had them oriented incorrectly.
My solution was to delete the pics from the samba. Rotate the pic on my computer and save. Rotate the pic back and save. Then re-upload to the samba. Took a while to figure that out.

Really impressed with the dimmable neon under wheel lighting, so may be hooking that up soon.

I did use a voltage drop for the wipers on the 65 I used to have. It was a 6v 65 wiper on 12v. It worked fine for years as a daily driver with that voltage drop.

I have heard that some people have used a rheostat which allows them to adjust the voltage, meaning they can make the wipers run faster or slower.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: