Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shocks Dual or Single action
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Shocks Dual or Single action Reply with quote

Are single action shocks factory stock?
What are the pros and cons of using single action shocks on my 66 Type I? I just received front dual action, but the rears are single action shocks. I will not use them if there is a big enough difference.
I would check the original shocks, but the have been replaced with gas shocks, which are very stiff and the ride is very rough.

Thanks, Wayne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Shocks Dual or Single action Reply with quote

If I remember right, there's an entry in Progressive Refinements from like 1949 saying VW changed to double-action shocks.

Double-action is stock.

here, I looked it up:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now, when shocks get worn, they do tend to act more like single action...

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Shocks Dual or Single action Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
If I remember right, there's an entry in Progressive Refinements from like 1949 saying VW changed to double-action shocks.

Double-action is stock.

here, I looked it up:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now, when shocks get worn, they do tend to act more like single action...

Do you think single action on the rear would be a problem on the street?
Thanks Andy!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Shocks Dual or Single action Reply with quote

Well, gas charged shocks, while I think they still are classed as dual action, they act differently than dual action oil shocks. On the rear they aren't really that bad. The front is far to light for them and they should never be used there. I don't recall ever using any shock that was specified as single action though. But I know I found plenty of worn out used ones that acted that way!

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: