Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tintop to Poptop conversion
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
syncroboi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Tintop to Poptop conversion Reply with quote

I am considering taking the plunge and turning my 86 tintop Syncro into a Poptop.

I was planning on attempting this with a friend but recently saw that Northwesty can do it (for a minimum of $5,500). They sounded like they have done quite a few and claim that their end product is indistinguishable from an original. http://www.northwestyvans.com/services/tintop-to-poptop-conversions/

Aside from the fact that I would be spending over $5k on yet another "Tent" I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on these guys and the quality of their conversions.

(Or do I bag the whole idea and keep the tin top and go with one of these: http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1945_1036/ironman_roof_top_tent.html )

Thanks!
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: pop top Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Cost! What is your end goal More beds, stand up to cook, looks, up the value of the van. How much $$$ do you have. I thought about all these things, even a high top. The wife said no, looks bad. OK so I went to a sun roof $500.00 can stand up to cook. And a great place to shoot pictures from when 4 wheeling in Moab.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Very Happy http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=547354&highlight=sun+roof+install
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
syncroboi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sunroof looks nice! My primary goal, however, is more bed space... with the wife, 2 kids, and our German Shepherd, space is getting tight.

Regarding $$$, I am willing to invest to get the right solution... and, not that I will ever sell this, I figure it is justifiable since it will likely increase the value of the van.

Re: the Hightop, I have not checked too many out. For storage space, insulation, and ease of use, they look like a great option. Yes, they are uglier than the poptop (although nobody has ever accused my van of being pretty). my bigger concern is weight... how much more top-heavy is that going to make my van? I use my Syncro a lot and want to make sure that I am not adding too much weight up top.
specialev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do nice work. I live near them and have checked out some of their vans. I also have one of their tents in my syncro. Their tents are excellent.

Regarding DIY...

I looked into having them do the work for me and in the end did it myself (I have a thread on it here). If you can weld and paint there is nothing in the job you can't do yourself. I initially thought about just having NWesty do the metal work for me and the quote I got (in person) was ~$5k so I do not know what you'd get for $5500. If I had one complaint about their work it was the quality of the interior finish, not like my example gives me bragging rights, but these vans just don't right with yardage store headliner material glued up to the rails and pillars.
syncroboi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out your thread, great stuff! that really helps.

I have some time to make a decision (was thinking about biting this of in the spring) so the debate will continue
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the time and skills do it yourself. The only cost is the donor van and a LOT of time, plus the paint should you choose to paint the whole top. there could be a minimalist option here.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of like the IronMan tent option ~ gives you more sleeping space which sounds like your main priority, and you can remove it when not camping to save weight and gas mileage...

That keeps your syncro more like stock.

If I was buying a converted westy, I'd be very picky about how well the work was done, would want to see lots of photos of the welds, etc. to know it wouldn't fall apart or rust or leak after I bought it...
syncroid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where the topic was covered but Seth Hatfield at Mastercraft Motors in Santa Barbara does this conversion too. He does it a bit differently than NorthWesty, he drills out the spot welds in at the rain gutters and transplants the whole roof skin. That's the way I would go. Cost is probably about the same somewhere around $5-6k.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: ASI Riviera pop top Reply with quote

Another option.

I have done an ASI Riviera pop top conversion to my Syncro. VERY, VERY easy when compared to welding a new roof on top of your rig.

You cut a hole in the roof and drop it in. The hole is cut between the existing reinforcing ribs so you don't have to weld anything in. Cutting the hole was a bit scary but again simple. The tricky part is finishing off the edges of the hole - which I haven't done yet.

These tops come up occasionally and are pretty easy to restore. I bought mine from NWesty. Most of the hardware and the canvas are available online. The thing pops straight up so there is a lots of room.

Here is an example.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1519268
[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: ASI Riviera pop top Reply with quote

Another option.

I have done an ASI Riviera pop top conversion to my Syncro. VERY, VERY easy when compared to welding a new roof on top of your rig.

You cut a hole in the roof and drop it in. The hole is cut between the existing reinforcing ribs so you don't have to weld anything in. Cutting the hole was a bit scary but again simple. The tricky part is finishing off the edges of the hole - which I haven't done yet.

These tops come up occasionally and are pretty easy to restore. I bought mine from NWesty. Most of the hardware and the canvas are available online. The thing pops straight up so there is a lots of room.

Here is an example.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1519268
[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how this doubleback
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Doubleback Reply with quote

Doubleback - Cost to much, won't fit a Vanagon , to heavy. But kind of cool! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
WestiCoast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If weight is your only issue with the hi-top you should know that the adventure wagon hi-top weighs less than a westy pop top.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Another option to consider Reply with quote

Everyone his own!

Well, back in '84, we set our sights on driving to Alaska. So, we opted for a non-Westy. We found a good deal on an '83 non-Westy with the air-cooled engine. So, in 1986 and over the next 19 years, we made 7 trips up to Alaska in it [and beyond]. Pitched a tent and enjoyed everything.... did stay in motels a number of times due to various reasons.

So, my goal about 10 years ago was to find a good waterboxer Vanagon to install an ALH TDI engine for the purpose of making numerous trips to Alaska and running the back roads of North America once I retired.

Yes, we debated as whether to go with a Westy or not... or to convert a Tin-top to a Westy.

Well, as it turned out, I went with the Tin-top because camping was determined to not entirely be the primary purpose of the vehicle.

So, now, we are looking into a Pop-up camper to pull behind it. I’ve pulled several loads close to 1500 lbs with the Van for long distances without any issues. After a Stage 1 Malone tune, the additional torque and pep far exceeded my expectations. It should handle a 1,200 lb Pop-up just fine.

If you plan to use and keep the Van (or sell later), considering the enjoyment and how the prices have escalated in the last five to eight years, investment should not be a concern!

My project can be seen at this link: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=276798
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another option. Country Homes poptop. Yeah, the ad is mine. Lots of people say they want it but nobody has pulled the trigger on their wallet:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1532792

Whoops! Got sold last night.

Last edited by BenT Syncro on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:55 am; edited 1 time in total
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set up like this. a columbus on a DIY trailer
http://www.boab.biz/images/autohome-gallery/Columbus-small-trailer.jpg
for my 86 tintop syncro...my trailer is all kitchen/cooler/ toy hauler
I can park it when I get there, leave it when I don't need it.
The kids love it cause its"just like camping"
If the missus and I go solo we leave the "columbus" and add sailboards and MtB's
Kids are getting bigger TG Rolling Eyes
syncroboi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All really helpful advice, thanks for the input (I know this topic has been discussed in many different forums)... btw, I love the columbus pop-up on the trailer! Great idea!

We have a tent trailer that we have used a lot, and I have a small jeep trailer that I bring sometimes... But it would be nice to be completely self contained and still fit everyone/everything. We go enough places that hauling a trailer is not optimal.

I am thinking that a nice rack system (maybe Gowesty's??) that can fit gas, water, tire, cooler etc on the back combined with either a pop-up and my roof rack OR a high-top is the way I am leaning so far.

btw, since I started this, I have read some good things about North American Hightops if I decide to go that route.
Freytag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk Meeks at NorthWesty converted our tiptop Syncro to a poptop and it looks factory.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Converting a Hartop to a Westy . Reply with quote

Opinions on this site are free and always varied ,so here's mine . If you are going to convert a van ,go all the way. Take it out to the spot welds . Some shops cut it short and over lap it or butt weld it . Always a chance of a crack or future rust issue .
Yes it is a lot of work removing a roof at the spot welds as well as cleaning up the donor roof to be installed ,plus the cross braces and the little surprises along the way .
We did mine and it was pretty straight forward . The hardest part is at the rear of the van where all the panels come together and are brazed together . You have to be a little creative there ,but if you are careful and watch where you cut and fit it cautiously it will turn out fine .
We did mine in 4 weekends . Broke it down into bite sized chunks . looks factory . No overlapping welds to be bondo'd , the rear was seam sealed just like factory under the rear gate ( a little wider than factory) but subtle .
Makes the painters happy as there is a lot less prep work . The big surprise is cost ,even when doing it yourself . I had over $150.00 in weldable primer ,grinding wheels and gas for the welder and spot weld drill bits . Not to mention lunch for my buddy who tirelessly pushed me through it .
My last comment on this subject ,is if you do do this make sure that any future buyer knows it is a conversion . it's only fair to someone spending good money on a Westy that they know if it is converted or genuine .
While I feel mine is as good as a factory unit ,I would never try and push it off as genuine .

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Here's yet another alternative. We had a tintop Syncro and I wanted it to sleep and support my wife and I and our two almost teen kids. Considered various strategies like you are. Before I picked one, I sold the van. One option I'd considered was to get a product from Cabela's called the Deluxe Tent Cot and mount it on the roof as a $500 root top tent strategy (that guess included a pair of sweet self inflating air mattresses, an aluminum ladder, and some brackets to mount it to my Thule, etc.

I ended up doing exactly this, but using one of our LandCruisers as a platform. So two of us sleep in the Cruiser (7 feet long cargo area) and the other two up in the Tent Cot. It works really well, and it weighs waaaay less than those huge roof top tents. The product is a bombproof, weather proof sleeping setup for two with cupholders, skylight, and very well thought out ventilation, twin doors, awnings, etc. I met my goal of $500 and the kids love being up there. It's light enough that I can put it up and down alone and I'm of average stature.

I'm getting another vanagon in December and will be using this on the roof with it as well. All you need are two crossbars of any brand. I made a plywood surface for the Tent Cot to ride on folded up, and then you just unfold it for use. This was one of my better projects. I can put this setup on any vehicle in 15 minutes.

Regards,
DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: