Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Christmas lights
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
preachermanNC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Christmas lights Reply with quote

I searched the forums first, got some good help, but I still have an unanswered question. How would I mount Christmas lights to my ‘72 Super Beetle?
I have everything else figured out. Want to outline the body lines and windows. I tried suction cup light mounts, but they won’t hold long. The only other thing I can think of is duct tape or gaffer tape. I need some ideas!
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Christmas lights Reply with quote

I use these for the inside of the windows at my home.
No residue and they are clear
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There are different styles available

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
preachermanNC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Christmas lights Reply with quote

I just found the YouTube video where the person used adhesive Velcro strips. My biggest concern is will the adhesive damage my paint? That’s one of the recommended advantages to using gaffer tape, because it is not supposed to leave any residue or cause any damage, so they say.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Christmas lights Reply with quote

preachermanNC wrote:
I just found the YouTube video where the person used adhesive Velcro strips. My biggest concern is will the adhesive damage my paint? That’s one of the recommended advantages to using gaffer tape, because it is not supposed to leave any residue or cause any damage, so they say.

i am unsure about gaffers tape but duct tape left quite a bit of adhesive residue on my Super after being on there a bit. still looking for a way to get it off
preachermanNC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Christmas lights Reply with quote

Blue painter’s tape, perhaps?
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Christmas lights Reply with quote

We use blue painter's tape for the night Christmas parade. It holds decently, even in damp conditions, and removes easily. It gets pulled off with 18 hours with few problems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Christmas lights Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:
........ duct tape left quite a bit of adhesive residue on my Super after being on there a bit. still looking for a way to get it off

Goo-Gone
https://googone.com/original-adhesive-remover
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Christmas lights Reply with quote

Gaffers tape (the real stuff) is available in a variety of colors. If you can't find it locally at a store- visit your nearest theatre (that's where I got mine years ago).

It adheres well and leaves very little, easy to remove adhesive. You can cut black (for instance) down into narrow-enough strips that it will stick to your window seals and look good where possible.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
preachermanNC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Christmas lights Reply with quote

I’ve contacted 3M about the command strips to verify if they’re safe to use on a car. I’ll post the reply. I believe I’ll try the blue painters tape first, and escalate to the gaffers tape if I have to, since it’s much more expensive. Magnetic hooks seem like a great idea, but they’re pricey too.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Christmas lights Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:

i am unsure about gaffers tape but duct tape left quite a bit of adhesive residue on my Super after being on there a bit. still looking for a way to get it off

Saturate the residue with WD40 & let it sit for a couple of hours, wipe away what's dissolved & reapply if necessary.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Christmas lights Reply with quote

Another source of cheap gaffers tape- your local honky tonk. Some place that hosts bands. Or make a friend who's a musician. Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Christmas lights Reply with quote

maybe magnets?
put a piece of wax paper under, between the magnet and the body
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Christmas lights Reply with quote

Ive been to several Christmas shows and most of the people just use regular 3m clear scotch tape. Easy on easy off.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Christmas lights Reply with quote

I used to have a white 1960 Beetle that i covered with lights for Christmas parades.

I would always wax it first, imagining that would help tape pull up.

I used S-shaped gutter clips along the edges of the fenders and bottom of the running boards as appropriate.

Also used some kind of Christmas light clips that came with double-stick tape in strategic parts of the body, and I think I may have also used some strips of duct-tape here and there.

The double-stick tape usually peeled off with little issue, and something like goo-gone took care of the places that it didn't come right off.

The car would stay decorated for the whole season, from Thanksgiving through Christmas.

So, my thought is that it would

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
preachermanNC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Christmas lights Reply with quote

I ended up using 3M Command strips for hanging Christmas lights outdoors. Holding up well in cold weather, and leaves no damage when done. I'll post pictures soon.
505BusFanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Christmas lights Reply with quote

When you need to hang many more it is much cheaper using blue painters tape. In my video I cover a lot of the different choice when putting lights up. Smile

Link

preachermanNC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Christmas lights Reply with quote

Alright here's my walk around video. Instagram: @henry72vw
https://www.instagram.com/p/BrlMabnlRFw/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet
preachermanNC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Christmas lights Reply with quote

505BusFanatic wrote:
When you need to hang many more it is much cheaper using blue painters tape. In my video I cover a lot of the different choice when putting lights up. Smile

Link

My reason for not using the blue painters tape was that I'm not just decorating for a parade, but leaving them on for weeks. I was under the impression that the tape wouldn't stay on long. It certainly would be much cheaper.
505BusFanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Christmas lights Reply with quote

preachermanNC wrote:
My reason for not using the blue painters tape was that I'm not just decorating for a parade, but leaving them on for weeks. I was under the impression that the tape wouldn't stay on long. It certainly would be much cheaper.

I leave my blue tape on for 24 days each year. When I tested them, they released cleanly up to around 14 days. After that some of them would leave glue residue, but it had no problem sticking. I also wont drive when it raining, so I can't speak on the durability with big moisture. Sprinkles and snow, no problems though. The only reason blue tape wouldn't stay on is if the surface is dirty, too much wax, or the tape piece was too small. I also have never driven over 65mph either. Other than that you could at least try it in a few spots on yours and see how it works in your conditions. I used 1.25 rolls for my whole bus, about $3.50.
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Christmas lights Reply with quote

What does one do if their Beetle does not have a cigarette lighter, for which to plug in the lights? (Thanks!)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: