Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Painting a Bus, should I remove the interior?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dstimm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Painting a Bus, should I remove the interior? Reply with quote

Hello,

I am about to have my bus painted. I know I need to take off all the seals around the doors and windows, and remove any external parts (headlights, wipers, spray nozzles, etc) but would you recommend removing the interior (the interior paint is in good condition)?

I am painting the bus the same color (sage green Westfalia), so the interior does already match, but I am afraid you will see a paint line if the interior isn't done as well.

For example, the dash has two bolts holding it on in the door frames, should I remove the dash?

I am going to remove the door panels off the front doors, any other recommendations?

Also any paint type you recommend? I know the original paint was a single stage, and the painter is going to do a dual stage, with a clear coat. Will it look original? Also should we remove the original sage green paint all the way down to the metal or is it okay to spray the new primer on top of it?

Thanks!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting a Bus, should I remove the interior? Reply with quote

dstimm wrote:
Also any paint type you recommend? I know the original paint was a single stage, and the painter is going to do a dual stage, with a clear coat. Will it look original?

Thanks!

I don't think it'll look original, but don't take my word. But anyway, what I was going to say, if you want single stage tell him that. Even if he thinks it's inferior or whatever, YOU want single stage and that's what you should get if you're paying.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Painting a Bus, should I remove the interior? Reply with quote

Remove whatever the painter says needs to come off. And if the shop can't shoot single stage, find another shop.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Painting a Bus, should I remove the interior? Reply with quote

Dual stage/w clear coat lasts much longer & looks better! The good painters use BC/CC so they don't get complaints about the single stage paint jobs. Rock chips will just nick the clear and you'll still have the color. Single stage chips & you'll have the different color primer showing!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting a Bus, should I remove the interior? Reply with quote

We have left interiors alone on some. It about good technique and picking good places to make the transition. Its not as noticable going single to 2 stage between interior and exterior BTW.

As far as paint removal/prep, depends how good you want and your budget. The thing is who knows what evil lurks under your existing paint. The bubbles on my 65 bug are a perfect example. (We didn't paint it)
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting a Bus, should I remove the interior? Reply with quote

Single stage is WAY easier to repair when the inevitable spot-in needs to be done. I've shot both and will never shoot another DD in two stage. Show car, cut and buffed to a water wet finish, yes, 2S is the way to go. Westy camper? SS is the only choice. Find another painter if he won't shoot it. Obviously this is not a Pebble Beach bus.

Both busses I shot I did the whole interior first before the exterior. Do what your painter wants.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: