Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine build possibilities...
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airshac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

I recently bought a bus, its a '77 but with a '71 stock engine. So I'm going to take the engine out and do a complete rebuild and put the type 1 engine back in. Going back with a dual carb set up and electronic ignition.
I'd like to build it as big as my budget allows, about $2k or less. Tomorrow I'm going to call around and find an approx price for machining on the case.
So, what sort of parts combination options do I have and where would you order parts from?
What carb set up is best for the various build options?
I'll take any specific, concise information you can give me or direct me to.
It will mostly be used for camping trips on the weekend and as a back up daily driver if needed.
Thank you!
PS. I am searching through the Performance threads for more information.

1971 Westfalia adventure wagon Festy Westy.

1977 Tintop, Weekender conversion in progress.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

A 1915cc with out going small stroker is about the easiest you can do, machine the cases and heads for 94's and use the stock crank and rods. you might be able to get by with a 74x94 stroker with out much case clearance work for a 2051cc but it would still need to cut the case and head for 94's

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
airshac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

What do you think of this comb-
https://www.scatvw.com/product/volkstroker-84-00mm/
https://www.scatvw.com/product/weber-dual-40-idf-linkage-type-i-carburetor-kit-with-air-cleaners/
https://www.scatvw.com/product/94mm-bore-street-port-hi-rev-pro-street-heads-each/

Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

Go 78 or 82 mm crank for a bus. Maybe 90.5's.....

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

For a heavy Bay Window with a type 1, I would go with 78 x 90.5, a set of Tims l9rted and polished Super Stock heads (or MOFOCO equvilant), 218 cam, 40 IDFs, stock heater boxes and quality small flange 1 3/8" 4 into 1 header
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

There are so many combos now that are being built for the type 1 VW engine. It's going to be tough to do one for under $2000 though without going to less expensive carbs. I have had pretty good luck with Samba ad's and Used Dellorto 36mm carburetors. "earthquakes" recommendations make a lot of sense and will save money with keeping it stock on the geometry. I would probably do 74 Stroke with 5.325" rods and stock pushrods and open the case for 92's. With stock pushrods, you can't run over about .400" lift at the rockers though if that? The new Panchito 44 heads from CB performance with the 40mm X 35.5mm valves will make up for lower flowing near stock cams. I would probably get the 54cc chambered Panchito heads for a bus engine or a small displacement bug engine like 92mm or below with the 69mm crank but If going to the 94mm bore it could handle the larger 61cc chambers Panchito Heads and Dual 44 IDF carbs. I built mine to be a 74mm stroke X 88mm bore and had a lot of machine work done like the case inserted which you will need to do on a 1971 AE engine case if not already done. Also, did Port-matched heads new cam new lightweight lifters, full flow and filter oiling, lots of good stuff and rebuilt a pair of used Dellortos 36mm carbs that I bought for $350 it came out under $3000 and it had CB Race H-Beam rods and a CB Super Race CCW crank too. If you cam it a bit it will run cool enough the stock 1971 doghouse will cool it without the expense of an external oil cooler or sump. I recommend the Webcam 118 and stock rockers to save money that cam has more advanced than advertised. You can also come back later and add racing pushrods and 1.25 ratio rockers get the lift up to .460" with this combination.

Last edited by Danwvw on Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

Panchitos valves are too big for stock heater boxes
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

That is a huge question.
A better question is how hard do you want to work on it, the more you do the more work it is.
And, the gearing in the 77 is probably higher, are we building the engine big because that is easier than changing the gearing?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

Teeroy wrote:
Panchitos valves are too big for stock heater boxes

Yeah, that is the conscious here on the samba it is an ACN Selling Point for larger Heater boxes etc.. Lots of folks doing it though! If you don't drive it over 75MPH for an extended period of time if you Cruze around 65mph especially with the later bus gearing I would think the Panchitos would be ok. I opted for ported port matched stock OEM german heads on one engine and L3 heads on a couple of other stock heater box engines because of this problem.

Last edited by Danwvw on Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airshac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

modok wrote:
That is a huge question.
A better question is how hard do you want to work on it, the more you do the more work it is.
And, the gearing in the 77 is probably higher, are we building the engine big because that is easier than changing the gearing?

I hadn't even thought about changing the gearing. But I'm going for increased power and reliability for cruising highway-ish speeds when necessary.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

There are different schools of thought on that.
I have noticed quite a lot of the BUS guys want to build it BIG and turn less RPMS, on the theory that that will be better for longevity.
I feel the opposite. IMO the happy place is 3200-3800 and it is easier to go with that than change it. Sure you CAN change it, but is it easier? probably not.

There is a LOT of "possibilities" these days, but it is pie in the sky. The more you change the more work it is. These panchito heads are kick ass, and the thickwall 92 cylinders are a good idea, lets put a empi crank in an amulinum case.........but, but, I sure am working hard for all that pie.

2007cc with all old school and OE parts, is still probably a heck of a lot easier than making all the aftermarket stuff work, because it just never does fit together as nice and easy as OE parts.

DPR crank and flywheel, WEB camshafts, silverline main bearings, KS or federal rod bearngs, CB H-beam rods, mahle P&c, grant rings, ACN aluminum pushrods, stock rockers AND shafts, PEP valves guides and seats. CB manifolds and oil pump. I have ZERO problems with.
I don't really have any hatred for china, but you will notice I don't endorse many Chinese parts, based on experience. Perhaps I am lucky in such a way that I always get the garbage, but watch out you might be lucky too.

Last edited by modok on Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
airshac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

modok wrote:

2007cc with welded crank and mahle P&c, grant rings, modified stock heads, stock rockers, is still probably a heck of a lot easier than making all the aftermarket stuff work, because it just never does fit together as nice and easy as OE parts.

I don't mind doing the work, sounds fun to me but I'm not trying to get too complicated or carried away.

Can you explain some of this for me?
Welded crankshaft?
What size P&C's?
Grant rings?
Stock heads modified how?

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

I should probably limit myself to the shortblock, my ideas about the rest are kinda particular. Confused

Just as far as the limits of stock cylinder head castings......
You go bigger engine size, or larger bore, the heads are getting too thin for optimum strength and cooling IMO, and try to go larger CC the compression ratio is too high also.
So 74 or 78 stroke, 90.5 bore NO PROBLEM, it's been done for 40 years and well proven.
There is a possibility to go farther but if you should or not, is no so easy to say.
I would consider 74-78 stroke and 90.5 bore to be a good baseline.

DPR has been making stroker cranks from OE cranks for years, very good at it. You can order a crank and flywheel already fitted and balanced and no worries about it.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

I honestly don't think a Type 1 is up to the task. Mains are too small, cylinders are too thin, and engine doesn't have enough cooling surface to last like a 2000cc T4. If you sold your T1, you could get $900 or so. Then you'd have about $3000 toward getting yourself a good T4 engine. Cores are cheap. Cases go for $50 sometimes. I just saw two complete T4s for $400. Buy a core, do a basic rebuild, and you'll have the best engine for the job.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

I agree. A '77 Bus came with a Type IV engine and should keep a Type IV engine. It is what the transaxle is geared for.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

Well, if it were me I would do a type 4 if I didn't have a nice Type 1 conversion for it for sure. But if OP already has the rear mounts and the tin conversion all done then why not use the 77 which is a nice Bus with the type 1 engine that is less expensive to build and quite frankly a lot more fun to build what with all the possibilities and availability of parts. The 78 year Type 4 was What a 2.0 Liter? 94mm bore X 71mm stroke? More stress on that than a say a type 1 design with 92mm Bore X 76 or 78.4 Stroke that can develop more torque at lower head pressures. Here is a thread where a guy is doing a 92mmX76mm: 2021cc Bus Motor Cam Choice?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

airshac wrote:
I recently bought a bus, its a '77 but with a '71 stock engine. So I'm going to take the engine out and do a complete rebuild and put the type 1 engine back in. Going back with a dual carb set up and electronic ignition.
I'd like to build it as big as my budget allows, about $2k or less. Tomorrow I'm going to call around and find an approx price for machining on the case.
So, what sort of parts combination options do I have and where would you order parts from?
What carb set up is best for the various build options?
I'll take any specific, concise information you can give me or direct me to.
It will mostly be used for camping trips on the weekend and as a back up daily driver if needed.
Thank you!
PS. I am searching through the Performance threads for more information.

Call me 414-963-1020 I can help you with case machining, engine kit, heads, etc and keep you in your budget.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airshac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Well, if it were me I would do a type 4 if I didn't have a nice Type 1 conversion for it for sure. But if OP already has the rear mounts and the tin conversion all done then why not use the 77 which is a nice Bus with the type 1 engine that is less expensive to build and quite frankly a lot more fun to build what with all the possibilities and availability of parts. The 78 year Type 4 was What a 2.0 Liter? 94mm bore X 71mm stroke? More stress on that than a say a type 1 design with 92mm Bore X 76 or 78.4 Stroke that can develop more torque at lower head pressures. Here is a thread where a guy is doing a 92mmX76mm: 2021cc Bus Motor Cam Choice?

The type 1 engine is installed and runs (like crap) and drives but has no tin around it, just the tin on top of the pistons and the fan shroud. So I have to find the type 4- type 1 tin conversion kit. but I had a type 4 in an aircooled vanagon and I hated it.

FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I agree. A '77 Bus came with a Type IV engine and should keep a Type IV engine. It is what the transaxle is geared for.

In Europe, and elsewhere, baywindows were available with type 1 engines until the end of production, 1979.

The gearbox letter code would tell us more about what the bus needs. Could you check?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

Maybe post some pictures of how the rear mount is done. Here is a thread about Type 1 engines in late Bay Window Buses: Installing a Type 1(upright cooling)engine into a Type 4 72+ FAQ and the kits for the tin are available for about $250 from places like ACN.
The first thing to do is to completely tear down the Type 1 engine and see what you have. The first question is how is it mounted does it use the 3 mount holes of the 1971 Bus or universal type 1 case and if so is your engine such a case?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Measure the #1Main Bearing at the flywheel to see if the case has at least 21mm of the thrust bearing width left so it can be align bored and thrust cut for a new #1 Main Bearing. Also have a look at the main bearings saddles etc and measure the current OD for the mains.
This is a good case:

This case could not be saved:

Last edited by Danwvw on Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: