Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine build possibilities...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airshac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

A friend is suggesting the 36 ICT's instead of the 40 IDF. What do you think about that?

1971 Westfalia adventure wagon Festy Westy.

1977 Tintop, Weekender conversion in progress.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

Did you see what "Brian_e" wrote? The Kadron 40's are better than the Weber ICT-34's which are a great little carb (Avoid the Empi Version) an get good mpg's but are kind of limited to the stock 1585cc single port engines. If we can't talk you into making a little more displacement like a 74 stroke and 88mm, 90.5's or 92mm bore or at least the 1679cc or Brians 1835cc then you will have a 3 gear on all the hills bus! My 1679cc link below with the W-100 cam really woke up with dual 2 barrel carbs both the DRLA 36's with 28mm venturi's and the Dual Zenith NDiX 32 with 25mm venturi's were great I suspect the Kadron 40's would do as well? Don't know, some think they are too hard to keep tuned. I think the Zenith NDIX did the best but you got to have some help getting those old carbs to play right. Kind of a classic thing to do too. But the ICT's if I had a pair I would try them but just to see how good of gas mileage I could get in a bus not for performance.
Brian_e wrote:

I had a decent mystery 1600SP with Kads, and a header before this engine. It ran good, and it was in the bus when I got it. The hill behind my house is about 2 miles long, with a stop at the bottom. I use it to seat rings in new engines. The 1600 was doing 40mph in 3rd gear revved out. Slow going. This new engine will do the hill at 65+ in 4th with pedal to spare. At 65mph, you can floor it, and it will start pulling again and increasing speed. Brian

airshac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Did you see what "Brian_e" wrote? The Kadron 40's are better than the Weber ICT-34's which are a great little carb (Avoid the Empi Version) an get good mpg's but are kind of limited to the stock 1585cc single port engines. If we can't talk you into making a little more displacement like a 74 stroke and 88mm, 90.5's or 92mm bore or at least the 1679cc or Brians 1835cc then you will have a 3 gear on all the hills bus! My 1679cc link below with the W-100 cam really woke up with dual 2 barrel carbs both the DRLA 36's with 28mm venturi's and the Dual Zenith NDiX 32 with 25mm venturi's were great I suspect the Kadron 40's would do as well? Don't know, some think they are too hard to keep tuned. I think the Zenith NDIX did the best but you got to have some help getting those old carbs to play right. Kind of a classic thing to do too. But the ICT's if I had a pair I would try them but just to see how good of gas mileage I could get in a bus not for performance.
Brian_e wrote:

I had a decent mystery 1600SP with Kads, and a header before this engine. It ran good, and it was in the bus when I got it. The hill behind my house is about 2 miles long, with a stop at the bottom. I use it to seat rings in new engines. The 1600 was doing 40mph in 3rd gear revved out. Slow going. This new engine will do the hill at 65+ in 4th with pedal to spare. At 65mph, you can floor it, and it will start pulling again and increasing speed. Brian

I'm not trying to be talked into anything, just looking for good advice on the right combo of parts for what I'm trying to do. I'm getting good advice and I appreciate your input Danwvw and everyone else's. My friend who uses the ict's has dual's on a type 4 and loves them for that application.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:

You need torque in the mid range to keep up speed on hills. Starting at around 2500-4000rpm. Torque comes from good ports, fast airspeed and a cam that matches the desired rpm range and displacement.
Having a port or valve that is too large will kill airspeed. This makes for a soggy bottom end that can't retain speed on long hills. Every engine combo has a minimum cross section in the intake port that will produce the most airspeed. Too small and it will choke, and too large and the column of air won't have any velocity, and this will make for poor cylinder filling until the engine is really starting to rev. At this point its too late.
Too much duration with non-ported heads is a really bad, but very common combo. The heads are done flowing well before the cam even starts pulling. This makes for a soggy bottom end, but also makes the top end RPM hit a wall because the heads just can't physically move any more air. Brian

This is a really good insight into the VW Type 1 engine pulling a 3000 lb Bus and its wind resistance load. It's like magic when one of these motors is right. I remember a particular 1958 21 window bus we used to drive around in the 70s. It had Cadalic Rims, huge rear tires (the wheel wells were cut for them], it still had it's reduction gears. We put a 58 Porsch engine in it just the (1600 normal 74mm stroke X 82.5 bore) with a pair of dual Zenith NDIX 32x24 carbs. It was a well matched combo for the bus. Good off road and would stomp down the miles like nothing on the open road turning 4000 rpm at about 80. It ran for years. The 356A 1600N cam specs were conservative like 220' dur at .050" duration but the heads and ratio rockers were superior with 38mm X 31mm valves 7.5:1 CR. These engines would hold up in the cars for well over a hundred thousand miles with their Aluminum cases, engine case tie bolt, Steel inserted Sparkplug thread heads, and stock style non dog-house cooling but internal aluminum oil cooler, the 74mm stroke increases leverage and decreases head pressures while maintaining good torque.
A little-understood trick with 74mm stroke X Whatever Bore VW engine is to use the shorter 5.325" rods which save money & hassle by keeping valve train geometry stock and help higher duration cams develop more torque at lower rpm.
airshac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

So I've decided to go back to the original type 4 set up but with dual carbs. Picking up an engine tonight to rebuild and get back on the road. Thanks for all your input.

airshac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

I wasn’t supposed tomoivk up the type 4 engine Friday but that didn’t work out. I am going to pull the current engine and I notice the mustache bar mount is attached to a welded bracket, probably to accommodate the 1600 engine. I think this will prevent me from putting a type 4 back in wothnout grinding off the welded bracket, possible retapping some holes...?

What do you think?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

I don't know because I don't have a type 4 to look at. But it looks like a pretty good start on the type 1 conversion. The type 4 engine parts are getting harder and harder to find and cost more to rebuild than a type 1 so the cheapest route is still to go ahead with the type 1 build. You will need that expensive fiberglass engine compartment piece though.
Here is a picture of a 1972 with the type 4 rear mount:

airshac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
I don't know because I don't have a type 4 to look at. But it looks like a pretty good start on the type 1 conversion. The type 4 engine parts are getting harder and harder to find and cost more to rebuild than a type 1 so the cheapest route is still to go ahead with the type 1 build. You will need that expensive fiberglass engine compartment piece though.
Here is a picture of a 1972 with the type 4 rear mount:

Dan, thanks for all your input on this! This might fall into the dumb question catergory but here it goes... The distributor currntly on there is non vacuum advance. Since I'm increasing the output of the engine do I need a vacuum advance or can I just stick with the non vac distributor?

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

Well, If you keep the Stock Solex Pict 34 then yes get the Stock DVDA distributor for the 71. The Q's are best but very rare. I would settle for a 205AN though. But if you put dual carbs on whatever you come up with than the Centrifugal advance What is it a.009 will work but the DVDA is better for MPG. Highway cruising.. With the Stock Solex carb about the most cam, you should give it is about like the W-100 The Cheater 2280 is less and will idle nice. With dual carbs, it can have more cam.
airshac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Well, If you keep the Stock Solex Pict 34 then yes get the Stock DVDA distributor for the 71. The Q's are best but very rare. I would settle for a 205AN though. But if you put dual carbs on whatever you come up with than the Centrifugal advance What is it a.009 will work but the DVDA is better for MPG. Highway cruising.. With the Stock Solex carb about the most cam, you should give it is about like the W-100 The Cheater 2280 is less and will idle nice. With dual carbs, it can have more cam.

I ordered the w-100 cam but could get the 110 instead. I'm going with the dual 34ict set up.
And I'm going with electronic points so maybe the method of advance doesn't matter...

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

ICT 34's are the least flowing of the Dual Carbs you could get. But they are well suited to the 1600 displacement engine with stock heads. The W-100 cam or similar would be best with the ICT's since it's a bus. The W-110 Cam is more suited to a little larger engine or a bug. The W-110 cam will not have as much low RPM torque as the W-100. The W-110 would do nicely on the Highway in a bus with Dual IDF or DRLA with a 1776cc 1799cc or 1835cc engine.
The Centerfiguical Advance distributor is fine with Duals just not the Stock Solex Pict 34. And yes the DVDA Bus Distributors are nice with the Dual Carbs too. I assume the ICT's Have Vac Advance VAC ports? Some Webers don't. However, Dellortos DRLA's do. You will need just one vac port to run a DVDA distributors vacuum advance.
1. The Engine Displacement and desired RPM range determines the head and valve size.
2. Intake valve size determines carb CFM needed. See this Chart Carb CFM Chart and Match the Carb to the Head Flowchart (Need to know valve lift to find head CFM) for the optimum performance and driveability with the heads you choose.
3. The cam needs to match the engine compression ratio and the desired RPM range.
Buses need to have good torque from 900-1500 RPM to 4500-5000 RPM. Cams.
airshac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
ICT 34's are the least flowing of the Dual Carbs you could get. But they are well suited to the 1600 displacement engine with stock heads. The W-100 cam or similar would be best with the ICT's since it's a bus. The W-110 Cam is more suited to a little larger engine or a bug. The W-110 cam will not have as much low RPM torque as the W-100. The W-110 would do nicely on the Highway in a bus with Dual IDF or DRLA with a 1776cc 1799cc or 1835cc engine.
The Centerfiguical Advance distributor is fine with Duals just not the Stock Solex Pict 34. And yes the DVDA Bus Distributors are nice with the Dual Carbs too. I assume the ICT's Have Vac Advance VAC ports? Some Webers don't. However, Dellortos DRLA's do. You will need just one vac port to run a DVDA distributors vacuum advance.
1. The Engine Displacement and desired RPM range determines the head and valve size.
2. Intake valve size determines carb CFM needed. See this Chart Carb CFM Chart and Match the Carb to the Head Flowchart (Need to know valve lift to find head CFM) for the optimum performance and driveability with the heads you choose.
3. The cam needs to match the engine compression ratio and the desired RPM range.
Buses need to have good torque from 900-1500 RPM to 4500-5000 RPM. Cams.

Those charts have a lot of information, most of which goes over my head. I'm leaning more towards the 40 IDF's and actually asked the guya at aircooled.net o hold off on shipping the carba to me so I could think about it a little longer.
How would it run with the 40's and the 100 cam and L3 heads?

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

What CC's?
airshac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
What CC's?

88x74mm

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

Just about any stock or close to the stock head works with the 1799cc type 1 engine. The L3's are just Chinese AA-500's with a stateside valve job and better retainer and single HD springs which is all good. I like the way they solve the head step problem and you can have them cc'ed to be just right for your cam.
My only experience with Weber '40s is they are a little rough on transition, Kind of an all or nothing carb. Configured with 30mm venturi's and .55 Idle and .50 accelerator pump jets they would be tame enough for the 1799cc type 1 in a bus. You could increase the cam a little. All the 1 barrel per cylinder dual carbs can run a fully symmetrical cam like the Webcam Grinds the Webcam 218 is a favorite for the bus engines but it's rough on the valve train. People love it though. I did the WebCam #118 with 1.25 elchepo Scat ratio rockers (they need wide mouth racing pushrod tubes though!), the combination beats the 218 a bit on valve lift and duration and is easier on the valve train. The W-110 would actually be less cam. The 118 cam in a bus is a highway engine for sure, not a back road torquer.
Actually, when you do the math if you have a good High Compression Engine the Weber 34 ICT's dual carbs have a maximum flow of 82X1.673=137cfm @ 28"s which would be about par with L3 heads. They would get you in the 24mpg highway gas mileage range. The Weber IDF or the Dellorto 36mm drla's will only get 24mpg at the very best long trip conditions. This is, of course, because they make more power for passing and staying in 4th gear on the hills.

Last edited by Danwvw on Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airshac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Just about any stock or close to the stock head works with the 1799cc type 1 engine. The L3's are just Chinese AA-500's with a stateside valve job and better retainer and single HD springs which is all good. I like the way they solve the head step problem and you can have them cc'ed to be just right for your cam.
My only experience with Weber '40s is they are a little rough on transition, Kind of an all or nothing carb. Configured with 30mm venturi's and .55 Idle and .50 accelerator pump jets they would be tame enough for the 1799cc type 1 in a bus. You could increase the cam a little. All the 1 barrel per cylinder dual carbs can run a fully symmetrical cam like the Webcam Grinds the Webcam 218 is a favorite for the bus engines but it's rough on the valve train. People love it though. I did the WebCam #118 with 1.25 elchepo Scat ratio rockers (they need wide mouth racing pushrod tubes though!), the combination beats the 218 a bit on valve lift and duration and is easier on the valve train. The W-110 would actually be less cam. The 118 cam in a bus is a highway engine for sure, not a back road torquer.

I have the 74 crank ordered along with the L3 heads and the 100 cam and the 88x74mm P&C's. Should I get the 40's or 34's and the 110 cam instead of the 100?
Not building for hotrodding, building for reliability and highway cruising and 60-65mph.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

It just depends on if you're doing more highway driving or off road and in town check out my above statement again I added a little. You can't go as high of CR with the W=100 as the W-110 or the others. Probably the best match for the W-100 or the W-110 would be the Zenith NDIX 32 Carbs with 24mm or 25mm or 28mm venturi's. I also like them because they are very stable and dependable once dialed in and they are much smaller than Weber IDF and DRLA 36's and the manifolds are small and straight shot so it's easier to get to the back spark plugs with them.
My latest collection: (Note the Chokes will be removed to run as duals!)

Last edited by Danwvw on Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airshac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
It just depends on if you're doing more highway driving or off road and in town check out my above statement again I added a little. You can't go as high of CR with the W=100 as the W-110 or the others. Probably the best match for the W-100 or the W-110 would be the Zenith NDIX 32 Carbs with 24mm or 25mm or 28mm venturi's. I also like them because they are very stable and dependable once dialed in and they are much smaller than Weber IDF and DRLA 36's and the manifolds are small and straight shot so it's easier to get to the back spark plugs with them.
My latest collection:

90% highway driving, 10% campground cruising.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

Yeah, You can't go wrong with either the IDF-40 or the DRLA-36 or the Zenith NDIX carbs in the 28-30mm Venturi range. The W-100 would pull hills the best if you get slowed down but if you can stay above 75mph there is no stopping it on the hills with more cam. More cam allows for higher CR the W-100 will run Hot if it's got more than about 8.5:1 CR. The Webcams being Symeritcal will run a little cooler than the W-110 too.

Last edited by Danwvw on Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
airshac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine build possibilities... Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Yeah, You can't go wrong with either the IDF-40 or the DRLA-36 or the Zenith NDIX carbs in the 28-30mm Venturi range. The W-100 would pull hills the best if you get slowed down but if you can stay above 75mph there is no stopping it on the hills with more cam. More cam allows for higher CR the W-100 will run Hot if it got more than about 8.5:1 CR. The Webcams being Symeritcal will run a little cooler too.

Above 75mph haha!!! Is that even possible?!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: