Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 bay window air cleaner thermostat 113-129-826
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
rkeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: 71 bay window air cleaner thermostat 113-129-826 Reply with quote

Has there been any activity on these wax pellet thermostats for the air cleaner.
I found the engine running warm and noticed the hot air inlet flapper was open allowing hot air in all the time. Tested the thermostat and it's dead. I've already read the other links and have been searching classifieds, ebay etc. but no joy.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by rkeller on Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rkeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 bay window air cleaner thermostat 113-129-826 Reply with quote

OK it's been like two minutes already and no replies.
So impatient as I am I kept on searching and found this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/151733056759

I've ordered one and will see if it can be made to work. There is no thread adjustment but if it sits in front of the hole instead of inside I believe the spring tension is more than sufficient to keep it in place. The rod can be cut if needed and if it's too short then I'll try another one.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 bay window air cleaner thermostat 113-129-826 Reply with quote

rkeller wrote:

Calm down Dood! Very Happy
Here's some reading for you: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=581562&highlight=wax+pellet
It'll be tough since it may take you more than 2 minutes, but tough it out and you will be rewarded! Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
rkeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 bay window air cleaner thermostat 113-129-826 Reply with quote

Thanks BusDaddy, I had read that. Good posting, but mine is completely dead with no movement after cleaning, hot or cold. The rod was covered in a gummy something but even after cleaning that off it’s a no go. Is it rare that they fail? I’m surprised there isn’t an after-market if they fail regularly. If it doesn’t extend then the engine would only pull in exhaust heated air right?
That can’t be good. My first car was a 71 super with the 1600 that overheated on the Beeline Expressway outside Orlando Fl back in the day, so keeping the air cooled cool (or at least normal operating temp) has been important since that experience.
All the regular parts houses: AirCooled, Bus Depot, CIP1, JBugs, Mid, West Coast Metric and WW were all no scores.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 bay window air cleaner thermostat 113-129-826 Reply with quote

I bought a new one last year I keep in stock. Got lucky. My old one came back to life after some crimping and heat gun action. If you can’t find one just remove the spring and let the flapper door open via gravity.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bay window air cleaner thermostat 113-129-826 Reply with quote

A healthy aftermarket requires people willing to pay a profitable price for parts. The isn't happening in AC VW world, so we get junk.
rkeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bay window air cleaner thermostat 113-129-826 Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
A healthy aftermarket requires people willing to pay a profitable price for parts. The isn't happening in AC VW world, so we get junk.

I hear you, but remain hopeful that is becoming less and less factual. Restorers are putting in big $$$$ into their cars. As the supplies dwindle and demand for quality parts increases, price pressures go up and the ability to eek a profit off a good part is more likely. The money I just spent on a restored dizzy and carburetor would have been ludicrous 10 years ago. Ditto for the price of a Wolfsburg West reproduction chrome bumper for my 67, however the parts are quality and I am happy and willing to forgo other things to purchase these quality items ( it also helps that the kids are out o& the house ).
A quick story: when I was a boy my grandma took me to bring my grandfather lunch at a job site, a very nice restaurant in Ohio. He was working on an ornate fireplace mantle and paused, when a nice old man came over and asked “ do you know why I paid your grandfather more than any of the other carpenters?” I shrugged my shoulders and he said “because he does quality work”. He smiled shook my hand and left. On our way out, my grandmother asked if I knew who that man was, I said no, and she told me that was Mr. Vernon Stouffer, owner of the Cleveland Indians and the Stouffers chain”. Which I thought was cool and I will always remember what he said.
If we keep up the demand and are vocal with our wallets, there will be a supply of quality parts.
Final note: please do not attach any lack of quality on any the current Stouffer’s products, now owned by Nestle...
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bay window air cleaner thermostat 113-129-826 Reply with quote

the way many repop parts end up being made here is that someone wants a part so they contact a manufacturer, like Wahler in this case or some similar company and ask what the minimum order is. Sometimes the companies will take pity and agree to make a run of say 200 at $5 each. That is $1000. So someone will spend the $1000 and then start selling them at $40 each. Two or three major retailers of bus parts will buy 25 each at $15 a piece so the cost will be made back in a year or so. The guy who makes them will keep a dozen in case any fail and then they will go NLA again. Sometimes if you are lucky the big company will tell you the name of a little company that makes limited runs for them, and then that smaller company may make a smaller run of say 10 - 20 parts at say $15 each.

As to that part, a lot of the 1971 buses and bugs no longer have the stock oil bath cleaners which is a shame because that system worked really well and is exceptionally quiet when all the parts are there.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 bay window air cleaner thermostat 113-129-826 Reply with quote

rkeller wrote:
So impatient as I am I kept on searching and found this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/151733056759

That looks a lot like the FI beetle preheat thermostat
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 bay window air cleaner thermostat 113-129-826 Reply with quote

I see 71' complete oil baths with the brass thermostats for sale cheap all the time on this site and at swap meets.

Busdaddy and myself both had luck in bringing the dead thermostat back to life with his tip. Many others have as well.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bay window air cleaner thermostat 113-129-826 Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I see 71' complete oil baths with the brass thermostats for sale cheap all the time on this site and at swap meets.

Oh really? Pray tell... where are these links?

I just might be in the market..
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rkeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 bay window air cleaner thermostat 113-129-826 Reply with quote

Found a stock “air box” thermostat with the same throw as the VW part for $14.75 plus shipping.
Sketched up a part on SolidWorks and after about 5 tries I found the right spacing. I’ll clean up the part and post a revised .STL file that doesn’t require trimming.

Link

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 bay window air cleaner thermostat 113-129-826 Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Oh really? Pray tell... where are these links?

I just might be in the market..
Robbie

Oh Robbie... or should I say Mr. Pomona swap meet?!? Razz Every VW swap meet I go to has many of these 71' bus/ghia or bug oil baths with the thermostats still mounted. Wink

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 bay window air cleaner thermostat 113-129-826 Reply with quote

rkeller wrote:
Found a stock “air box” thermostat with the same throw as the VW part for $14.75 plus shipping.
Sketched up a part on SolidWorks and after about 5 tries I found the right spacing. I’ll clean up the part and post a revised .STL file that doesn’t require trimming.

Link

Nice.. When I did some research a few years ago, I also noticed these brass thermostats were used in other brand cars in the air filters. If I remember right, Volvo or Saab used them too.

So, which one is this $14.75 one? Nice work on the plastic mount. I assume it just rests in it and is held in place by the spring? It looks like that by the way the thermostat body moved.

rkeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 bay window air cleaner thermostat 113-129-826 Reply with quote

The thermostat is for a Volvo 244 made by Calorstat. Yes the spring keeps it in place nicely.
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 71 bay window air cleaner thermostat 113-129-826 Reply with quote

expensive but i got tired of trying used ones and them being non-op.

https://www.bugcity.com/shop/shop.lasso?pquery=air+cleaner+thermostat
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 bay window air cleaner thermostat 113-129-826 Reply with quote

rkeller wrote:

[youtube]

Nice work!! Can we purchase one of your mounting pieces?

--

Bill, I'm heading to the swap meet this weekend. Soooo many early style air-cleaners, but I sold my last '71 style to you Wink I'm tired of the special preheat cable setup, so I want to try this style. Cool

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rkeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 bay window air cleaner thermostat 113-129-826 Reply with quote

I’m making the part a little nicer and will print some out and make them available with and without the Volvo thermostat. I,m also testing the PETG filament to make sure it can withstand the heat and oil. The specs say it can withstand up to 200 degrees Centigrade which is 392f, and it is supposed to conditionally stable against oil, grease, methanols, gas and diesel so I think it will work. After I run around a bit with the adapter in my air cleaner I’ll post them for sale and I’ll also post the part file on Thingverse.

hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 bay window air cleaner thermostat 113-129-826 Reply with quote

@rkeller, i'm in as well, i'd love to get a few of those.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 bay window air cleaner thermostat 113-129-826 Reply with quote

Nice work!, can't wait to see how it behaves in the bus, looks like it'll work great.

That plastic is impressive too, I tried that heat gun trick on an original one once and the plastic melted, the thermostat was dead so I have no idea how hot it got before I saw the plastic moving, lesson learned. Rolling Eyes

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: