Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

thermostat questions and guidance/ automatic transmission leak
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BIGSERG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: thermostat questions and guidance/ automatic transmission leak Reply with quote

wondering if anyone knows how to hook up the entire thermostat set up. does it hook up to the one flap on the drivers side? are there two flaps.

my automatic transmission is also leaking. wondering if i should change the pan gasket, maybe the final drive has a pan or gaskets i have to change .

any more gaskets i have to change or look at o rings that i need replaced so that im running with out leaks.

tranny runs fine.

photos would be awesome
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: thermostat questions and guidance/ automatic transmission leak Reply with quote

Year and engine installed would be awesome,too,since they get swapped a lot

Welcome

Smile
BIGSERG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: thermostat questions and guidance/ automatic transmission leak Reply with quote

2.0 engine with original tranny i believe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: thermostat questions and guidance/ automatic transmission leak Reply with quote

Assuming you are talking about a Type 4 engine, there is a convoluted rod that connects the flaps on the two sides of the engine, the right hand flap is a part of the rod and people will often remove it when they decide they do not need or want the flaps to operate. If the rod is there you can see it running across the top front of the fan shroud. There are two flat spring clips that hold it in place and a spring which moves the flaps into the warm position.
BIGSERG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: thermostat questions and guidance/ automatic transmission leak Reply with quote

DO I REALLY NEED THE THERMOSTAT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA . IM JUST NOT 100 PERCENT SURE HOW IT OPERATES. FLAPS OPEN WHEN WARM AND CLOSED WHEN COLD.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: thermostat questions and guidance/ automatic transmission leak Reply with quote

BIGSERG wrote:
DO I REALLY NEED THE THERMOSTAT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA . IM JUST NOT 100 PERCENT SURE HOW IT OPERATES. FLAPS OPEN WHEN WARM AND CLOSED WHEN COLD.

The operation of the flaps makes no sense when you first look at them as when the one flap is up and the other is down. This is 100% normal, as the "HOT" position for the left flap is Down while the "HOT" position for the right flap is UP.

If you are mainly driving above 70°F I don't think having a working thermostat makes much difference at all but if you are driving at 30°F the system is a necessity.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: thermostat questions and guidance/ automatic transmission leak Reply with quote

BIGSERG wrote:

Whoa Mr Big, stop yelling at us.

Here’s a video of what Wildthings is explaining
Link

Here’s a thread about rebuilding a thermostat https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=587449&highlight=thermostat+rebuild

I would say you need one, but I can’t talk since the thermostat on my motor is broke and the flaps are wide open. Takes an extra few minutes to warm up is all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BIGSERG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: thermostat questions and guidance/ automatic transmission leak Reply with quote

haha sorry guys !! didnt mean to yell. thanks for all the help really appreciate all the help
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: