Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Smittybilt low backseats
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
liawoft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Smittybilt low backseats Reply with quote

I have searched and did not locate anyone who is using the smittybilt low back seats on any be. I am removing beardseats.com that already have all the brackets for aftermarket seats and I was wondering if I could use the smittybilt low back seat on that bracket. If I have to do some modification that's fine also as long as it doesn't make the seat sit any higher than what the bracket is already at. For $200 for two brand new seats it's hard not to think about.

https://www.morris4x4center.com/interior/seats-cov...44801.html
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Smittybilt low backseats Reply with quote

I have no personal experience with the Smittybilt Seats, but . . .

On the website you linked to, the dimensions given for the Smittybilt seat are
Length: 22 inches Width: 19.75 inches Height: 20 inches

Stock Thing front seats are
Length: 29 inches Width: 20 inches Height: approximately 25 inches.

So the Smittybilt seat backs will be considerably lower than the stock seat backs. Hope that helps.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
liawoft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Smittybilt low backseats Reply with quote

In 7-10 days I'll let you know if they are going to work. I like the look of the low back vs the high back fixed back racing seats that were in there. I figured being smittybilt they should hold up decent. If I end of driving this more then I thought might upgrade later.
liawoft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Smittybilt low backseats Reply with quote

They came in just as I was working on the floors. OH BOY they fit. $200 for a nice set of seats. That being said the thing already had a bracket and slider in it. I have not priced that to see what total would be from scratch. I am going to add a cross member to the slider and use the factory holes on the seat for mounting. The way it sits now is how it will look when bolted down.

-Al-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Smittybilt low backseats Reply with quote

liawoft,
Any updates you can share about installation, likes, dislikes, etc?

Thanks,
Al
liawoft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Smittybilt low backseats Reply with quote

I had the rear seats done at a upholstery shop to match the front seats from smittybilt. they are extremely comfortable with a comfortable seating position. I would do these again in a heartbeat and have considered putting them in my beetle. The passenger side is just slid forward from working on something.

wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Smittybilt low backseats Reply with quote

For the money ($200 for the pair) I agree that they are a steal and look very nice. My only concern would be just how low the seatbacks are and how bad the whiplash would be on the occupants of the front seats if you were ever rear-ended.

I'm running the Procar by SCAT Pro-90 with headrests in my Thing. These are still considered to be low-back seats but I don't think they're as quite as low as the Smittybilt and the headrests make them a bit taller. They're also not $200/pair.
-Al-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Smittybilt low backseats Reply with quote

Seats look great, and look even better with the rear pads having matching lines.

My nephew has a thing and it has some odd and ugly grey low back seats (welded to factory frame/sliders). If he stays low back, I’m sure this would be his best and maybe cheapest option.

Again, looks great! Good choice!
joosty_chin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Smittybilt low backseats Reply with quote

AL, post a pic of the Thing with those seats please.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
-Al-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Smittybilt low backseats Reply with quote

Will do.

Give me some time. Thing is at my moms and will have to stop by for a pic. She has a huge garage and she lets me and my nephew, Jim, use it for our toys and junk! She doesn’t even use it for herself (Thanks mom!).

What I find strange is the seat bottoms are noticeably tapered. The front width is maybe 6” more narrow than the rear. General size is about the same as a stock seat. To me, they look like they could have been from a boat pedestal seat, like you might see in a fishing boat.

Jim inherited the thing from my father when he passed. My father bought the thing about 30 years ago and they are the seats that were in it when he bought it. Father wanted to replace with stock, but was too cheap to pay for oG seats. Hahaha
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: